Holidays 2024

McFaul

18 minutes ago, Renton said:

So instead they are forcing you to pay in full for a holiday that can't happen? How is that right? Then you wait months to get your money back through insurance/ATOL, presumably. 

I am happy for them to move the holiday to next year or to keep the deposit as credit for another holiday, but it's taking the piss them wanting full payment. The advice seems to be pay in full though. 

I'm not saying it's fair - it's anything but. It's just that there's literally no other way forward if these industries are going to survive - at least as far as I can tell personally. If you eventually get the money back through insurance then ultimately, you're covered.

I doubt they'll even be able to defer the holiday to the following year given the costs associated. How would they cram a year's worth of holiday goers into a following year, for free, while still finding a way to make any kind of profit. They won't man.

10 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

I'm not saying it's fair - it's anything but. It's just that there's literally no other way forward if these industries are going to survive - at least as far as I can tell personally. If you eventually get the money back through insurance then ultimately, you're covered.

I doubt they'll even be able to defer the holiday to the following year given the costs associated. How would they cram a year's worth of holiday goers into a following year, for free, while still finding a way to make any kind of profit. They won't man.

Frankly I hope they go bust then, and I can get a refund through ATOL. 

Imagine you were buying a car. You've paid a large deposit in good faith, then the dealer says to you, you need to pay the balance. Oh, btw, there is no car. Its fucking ridiculous.

Look at it another way, I pay them several grand, what are they doing with the money? Flights are cancelled, transfers are cancelled,  accommodation is not being used and food is not being catered for. So where is the money going?

The sensible thing to do would be to pause payments until it is clarified for certain what is happening, then pay back deposits or let you rebook. I don't see why the consumer has to pay as well as take the risks here. I think they are fucked now anyway because the reputational hit will be too big to recover from. 

4 hours ago, Rayvin said:

Ah, nice place although I've not been since I was young. You can hop over to Mull from there right? I remember at least one fantastic beach on Mull. Had a sandbank a little way out, and at least when we were there, we saw porpoises just a bit further out.

Calgary Bay? 

Edit: missed Renton’s reply. I saw a golden eagle near there 

Edited by Alex

1 hour ago, Renton said:

Frankly I hope they go bust then, and I can get a refund through ATOL. 

Imagine you were buying a car. You've paid a large deposit in good faith, then the dealer says to you, you need to pay the balance. Oh, btw, there is no car. Its fucking ridiculous.

Look at it another way, I pay them several grand, what are they doing with the money? Flights are cancelled, transfers are cancelled,  accommodation is not being used and food is not being catered for. So where is the money going?

The sensible thing to do would be to pause payments until it is clarified for certain what is happening, then pay back deposits or let you rebook. I don't see why the consumer has to pay as well as take the risks here. I think they are fucked now anyway because the reputational hit will be too big to recover from. 

Aye

I am in the same situation with you and same firm.  We are due to pay our balance in July for our holiday at the end of Sept.  Fuck know's whats going to happen.

It must be difficult for them too.  The amount of calls etc they're getting.  But aye.  Mint eh.

The hotel we booked for our Holiday in June in Milan was done with a no refund cancellation as we booked it last Sept.  Quite naive.  Anyways, we emailed them and they have been brilliant.  Said we can move it or refund due to unprecedented times.  

• 3 weeks later...

@Renton

My brother in law was due to goto croatia in a couple of weeks with Tui.  Today they (TUI) cancelled it, he's got a full refund and TUI have given him a 20% off voucher for booking upto next year.  So fingers crossed.

My mam got a full refund off tui but she was very persistent. She somehow ended up emailing the chief exec and managed to get a reply and it was processed a day or two later

Eurostar have extended their free rebooking period to include the dates I was going to have a weekend on the Dutch coast in July, so I've done the various cancellations today (since it's not worth two weeks of quarantine, quite aside from anything else). The Airbnb guy wrote back basically saying "people are starting to make bookings again now, but since you're from the UK, I understand your position". Get used to this, folks, we're the sick man of Europe again except this time with actual sickness.

We’re meant to be off to Holland with the kids and another family to some Eurocamp type thing with a water park and all that shite but I’ve written that off. Supposed to be going to Spain with me Mam and dad and the family in October at half term too but I’ve absolutely no wish to get in a plane any time soon 

In a couple of weeks I was supposed to by going to Italy for my 40th.  We booked parts separate rather than going for a package.  Got an email last night from Easyjet saying they're cancelling the flights. Fine. But I can 'apply' for a full refund.  WTF.  Apply?!?

• 1 month later...

Santa Eulalia in Ibiza.

Email they sent basically sounds like they're just concentrating on certain hotels and resorts.

Think we will just go in this country now.  Anyone been to Norfolk?

11 hours ago, wykikitoon said:

Santa Eulalia in Ibiza.

Email they sent basically sounds like they're just concentrating on certain hotels and resorts.

Think we will just go in this country now.  Anyone been to Norfolk?

I’ve been to Norfolk before. It’s hope that helps. 

• Haha 2

I had a couple of UK holidays booked this year. - mainly cos I couldn't be arsed to get all the rabble on the plane. 

Center Parcs was cancelled but our visit to a lodge in Cheddar Gorge is on in a few weeks. Will be nice just to get away.

• Meenzer changed the title to Holidays 2024