Holidays 2024

McFaul

It was in Longleat - £1400 for the week. Two families sharing a villa. The only negative is it's well hilly. We all had bikes but the kids struggled at times and the adults ended up carrying all the bikes. The one in sherwood is much flatter so easier for the little ones to get around - there were four kids in the party, all under six.

1400 per couple or all in for the 8 people? Did that include any meals? I'm interested as I'm price comparing with the French ones / thinking of the one in the lakes.

£1400 for the villa for four nights - so £700 per couple in a three bedroom villa - three kids shared one room and the little one was in with us. You can get bigger villas but the price goes up quite a lot for four or five bedrooms.

No meals included. The food is pretty average as well - typical high street restaurants like strada and cafe rouge, but you don't go there for the food. We ate out two nights and had food in the villa the other two. It's not cheap for what it is but it's perfect for kids.

1400 per couple or all in for the 8 people? Did that include any meals? I'm interested as I'm price comparing with the French ones / thinking of the one in the lakes.

I've been to the one in the lakes, and regrettably doing winter wonderland this Xmas. It's massively overpriced, if you can't be arsed cooking, which I can't on holiday, it's a small fortune. All the restaurants are chains. Last time I went the accommodation was a bit shabby although I'm going to a newly renovated Villa next. Pool is good and free but everything else is extra and not cheap. And it's painfully middle class, which may or may not suit you. And the scenery is just woodland.

Tbh if your kids are old enough to enjoy the outdoors activities it might be okay. But personally I'd much rather go to a nice hotel with a pool in the lakes for a lot less.

I agree with most of that Renton but I wouldn't say the accommodation was shabby. It does feel a bit likean upmarket butlins but my kids loved it. Never been to the one in the lakes but Longleat is set in a mature forest. The best bit for me was just walking and cycling around the place.

Much nicer accommodation for the same or less in the Lakes. And you're actually in the Lake District (which you won't be if you go there).

Much nicer accommodation for the same or less in the Lakes. And you're actually in the Lake District (which you won't be if you go there).

You're like a cross between a middle aged victor medlrew and the Harry Enfield character 'you don't want to do thaaaat!'

You're like a cross between a middle aged victor medlrew and the Harry Enfield character 'you don't want to do thaaaat!'

He's right though. And centre parcs double or triple their prices in the school holidays, it's abysmal value, and, kids activities aside, is just completely shit. In contrast, there is some great accommodation in the lakes with some of the best scenery on earth literally just out the front door, imo.

Fuck off man :lol:

Centre parcs is what it is, a posh holiday camp in the woods. Unless you want to chuck your kids in lake Windemere you can't really compare the two. I also go to the lakes every year and as much as I enjoy it you can't escape the fact it's 75% tourists and 25% weird as fuck Cumbrians/farmers. There's also Tesco's and Morrisons aal owner the shop these days which pretty much ruin the rural aesthetic. Most kids/normal folk don't see a hike up Skiddaw as a cracking day out either tbh

Fuck off man :lol:

Centre parcs is what it is, a posh holiday camp in the woods. Unless you want to chuck your kids in lake Windemere you can't really compare the two. I also go to the lakes every year and as much as I enjoy it you can't escape the fact it's 75% tourists and 25% weird as fuck Cumbrians/farmers. There's also Tesco's and Morrisons aal owner the shop these days which pretty much ruin the rural aesthetic. Most kids/normal folk don't see a hike up Skiddaw as a cracking day out either tbh

What are we disagreeing about exactly? Is centre parcs good value in the school holidays (which is the only time you will be able to go there soon enough)? No, it's not, it's cheaper to go on a decent enough package holiday abroad. You won't get change out of a grand for a family of 4 for FOUR days. :lol:

Is it set in beautiful scenery? No, it's not.

Are the expensive restaurants any good? No, they're not.

Is it good for activities for active kids? Yes, it is, but you have to pay even more.

Obviously people like different things, but it's only the latter one that I can see centre parcs is good for. And even then, you can do all that elsewhere in the lakes in much better surroundings. Also, there isn't any major developments that ruin the aesthetics in the lakes so not clear where you are getting that from.

Edited by Renton

You're like a cross between Steven Taylor and Michael Owen

You're like a cross between Steven Taylor and Michael Owen

:lol:

The sum total of your posts on here these days is to be snide about other people's posts

I hope you're not as much of a miserable fucker in real life

:lol:

The sum total of your posts on here these days is to be snide about other people's posts

I hope you're not as much of a miserable fucker in real life

It was genuine advice aimed at Chez, you half-wit. Utterly bizarre that you took umbrage at it tbh

It was genuine advice aimed at Chez, you half-wit. Utterly bizarre that you took umbrage at it tbh

The kid has about as much personality as a mass grave, it's quite clear. That's not the lads fault, it's just who he is.

I'd hardly call it a holiday like, but I'm away down to York for a couple of neets with wor lass later on this morning.

• Meenzer changed the title to Holidays 2024