Holidays 2024

McFaul

Always feel a grim sense of pride in Greggs. The most recent North East company to become a PLC I believe. On my MBA they had Gregg's financial director come in and give us a talk about the various challenges they've faced and so on, it was pretty interesting. Then we had to carry out Excel based linear programming to work out the most efficient means for getting pasties to the masses :D

All in all they're a well run business.

When we moved house, my lass had her first ever Steak Bake from a motorway services' Greggs. 

She's a convert, but only for hangovers apparently.

I could. Prefixing good or bad to something then categorising them as good or bad isn't rocket science like is it? Carbs make you fat. Fat doesn't.

Simply not true.

transfats found in a lot of processed food, like hydrogenated vegetable oil are some of the worst things you can put in your body and will make you fat, while probably helping cause cancer at the same time.

Good fats like avacado, nuts, oily fish etc will also make you fat if you consume more than you burn off, though are excellent sources of nutrition and can be the cornerstone of a balanced diet.

Some unprocessed carbs - beans, legumes, whole grains etc won't make you fat either unless you consume them in CT-like quantities.

Refined carbs like the high fructose corn syrup found in many processed foods are awful too and will almost certainly contribute to obesity and poor health if consumed regularly and to excess.

The point is a balanced diet will prevent you getting fat. That means a range of good fats, good carbs and good protein - and minimal amounts of processed foods. That's where the bad shit is, whether it's bad carbs or bad fats.

So if you want to lose fat, Dr Gloom endorses home cooked whole foods and a rigorous exercise regime. I offer plenty of free advice there too.

You can actually lose fat while eating as many carbs as you like - even refined sugary rubbish- as long as your burn off more than you put in. Just google the Michael Phelps diet.

Depends on what your goals are. I like to stay lean and keep my insides healthy. So I generally eat pretty clean Monday to Friday, train 5-6 days a week and only eat out and drink at weekends.

You've haven't told me anything I don't know. Of course you can lose weight if there is a calorie deficit. However carbs cause insulin to spike which in turn cause hunger, which is the main cause of overeating. It's difficult to overeat when you strictly control carbs as the desire just isn't there. Most people aren't disciplined like you

Your generalising to say the least. Your initial blanket comment that carbs are bad for you was complete rubbish. They're an essential food group. One of the best ways to increase your chances of losing fat is to eat plenty of good quality carbs right after exercising. Atkins style low carb diets are for noobs

I'm generalising that the obesity problem the population faces is due to carb addiction and overeating, yes. Yes carbs can be fine in a disciplined diet. But who wants to constantly fight the temptation to overeat that carbs cause? Not many people, given how many fatties are walking the streets. Why do you think they're so vital? Can't think of many other species that rely heavily on them.

I think the obesity crisis in the country is mainly driven by the volume of processed food consumption and too many people favouring the sofa over regular exercise.

Eliminating an entire group of nutrients that are crucial for the body to function properly is silly. It might help burn some fat in the short term but rarely works in the long term.

Ultimately, most people who try Atkins will eventually get sick of it and go back to binging on carbs. A balanced diet, including a mix of healthy carbs, fats and protein, combined with a solid training regime is by far the best way to get in and stay in shape.

All it requires is a little education at school. That's where it should start. Then people wouldn't be seduced by unsustainable fad diets.

Atkins doesn't eliminate carbs it reintroduces and controls them. It's a great diet though. People are more likely to fall off the wagon constantly trying to balance a diet than they are by controlling one particular food group. Especially when the latter is so effective. My personal experience is that its made me feel less lethargic, less bloated and less hungry. Whilst having a free pass to eat a lot of meat and cheese. The only real downside is my food costs have risen

• Meenzer changed the title to Holidays 2024