Holidays 2024

McFaul

• 3 weeks later...

I was just looking at walking routes in that neck of the woods actually, with a view to having a stomp around somewhere British again later in the year. Didn't come to any especially useful conclusions though. Sorry. :lol: Think it's time to properly rediscover Northumberland first. Matlock and the bit around there looks pretty lovely in parts though.

This is what I was perusing fwiw. Even if you're not into walking I presume the routes correlate with the more impressive scenery so you can just rock up in your car instead. :D

Peak-District-Walking-Routes.jpg

I think it's good for country pubs etc. I've always been underwhelmed as a walking destination, but am probably spoiled by having Northumberland and (relatively) the lakes on my door step.

My dad used to live in Matlock and I used to live in Sheffield so I know the Peak District reasonably well. Very pretty part of the country. Not as dramatic as somewhere like the lakes but few places in England are. Good country pubs with interesting selections of real ale and some nice little towns to explore.

• 1 month later...

Just back from a week and a bit in Lanzarote, Playa de los Pocillos this time, first time I'd been. Really nice villa five minutes' walk from amenities and a massive beach, convenient for the airport and the trashier parts of Puerto del Carmen without being close enough for the noise pollution from either to be a problem. :D

Going back to the Peak District conversation from the previous page, I'm still not mega sold on the (circular) walking options in the area so I reckon I'm going to split my September yomp between the Lakes - Helvellyn (still haven't done it) plus revisiting a few old favourites like Castle Crag/Borrowdale - and maybe just one big stomp around somewhere in the Peaks on my way back to smelly London. This currently gets my vote, seems to tick a lot of the boxes.

21 minutes ago, Meenzer said:

Going back to the Peak District conversation from the previous page, I'm still not mega sold on the (circular) walking options in the area so I reckon I'm going to split my September yomp between the Lakes - Helvellyn (still haven't done it) plus revisiting a few old favourites like Castle Crag/Borrowdale - and maybe just one big stomp around somewhere in the Peaks on my way back to smelly London. This currently gets my vote, seems to tick a lot of the boxes.

I've done that exact walk, actually it's the only walk I've done in the peak district. Honestly? I would just stay in the lakes longer. 

15 minutes ago, Renton said:

I've done that exact walk, actually it's the only walk I've done in the peak district. Honestly? I would just stay in the lakes longer. 

tbh if the weather's decent I might just peel off to North Wales after the Lakes instead and go play the arcades in Rhyl or something. :lol:

24 minutes ago, adios said:

Interesting euphemism.

You should see what I've got planned for Llanfair­pwllgwyngyll­gogery­chwyrn­drobwll­llan­tysilio­gogo­goch.

My trip to the dales was nice tbh, I'm not into massive walks and with a bulldog it's difficult anyway. We enjoyed a nice few walks to the beer gardens around the pleasant little villages though.

• Meenzer changed the title to Holidays 2024