Holidays 2024

McFaul

Boat trips to the three small islands just off Dubrovnik is a good day out. Loads of local boat tours down by the harbour. They  will put on food and home made wine. We got absolutely leathered in the sun. There’s one island a bit further up with a national park in it though can’t remember the name. 

Do the Dubrovnik old town town wall walk as the sun is setting. It’s way too hot during the day. Probably only worth visiting the old town once or twice. It’s beautiful but absolutely ram-packed with tourists. We spent most of our days by the villa’s pool and evenings in the local town, or one of the others near by. We had our best time driving up the coast from small town to town. Cavtat and mlini were the two places that spring to mind. Small fishing villages with decent restaurants right on the sea.

make sure you research restaurants in Dubrovnik old town because quality there is v mixed. As is often the case in very touristy places. We had one awesome meal there and one absolute shocker 

• Like 1

That boat trip caper sounds canny, cheers. And aye, it's Mlini we're staying in, if I remember right so I'm glad it's got some decent scran. I'm going to get well in the mood; get some white linen pants and swan about supping red wine and make lewd comments to waitresses all day.

• Haha 3

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone got any tips for a family trip to Scotland for a week in early August? I seem to remember quite a few on here had good knowledge

Hopefully including: 

- stunning natural beauty, preferably mountainous. 

- no preference for coastline or lochs

- preferably somewhere that isn't completely infested with midgies

- somewhere where there are family-friendly bike trails 

Caveat: we will be flying in to Glasgow or Edinburgh. Will hire car so can drive to location, but would rather rent a house in a single location, rather than do a road trip, as we have two young kids

Thanks in advance!

12 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

Anyone got any tips for a family trip to Scotland for a week in early August? I seem to remember quite a few on here had good knowledge

Hopefully including: 

Caveat: we will be flying in to Glasgow or Edinburgh. Will hire car so can drive to location, but would rather rent a house in a single location, rather than do a road trip, as we have two young kids

Thanks in advance!

Skye.

No midgies, they just get blown off the island. Cottage rentals are bread and butter up there but do it quickly cos August is tourist season and people start booking a year in advance these days. From Glasgow it's probably a 4 hour drive - you'll need a rental car to get around the island though. I'd recommend the northern end of the island as it's a bit wilder. Only downside of your chosen time of year is that the weather will be variable. May is the time to hit the highlands and Skye from a weather perspective, at least in my experience. It'll also be full of tourists, but they'll generally just hit the hotspots.

Edited by Rayvin

thanks for that. i've always wanted to go there but we will be flying in from spain, so don't know whether up for a 4 hour drive - we can't fly direct to inverness.

are midgies a big problem in the highlands generally at that time of year? 

31 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

Skye.

No midgies, they just get blown off the island. Cottage rentals are bread and butter up there but do it quickly cos August is tourist season and people start booking a year in advance these days. From Glasgow it's probably a 4 hour drive - you'll need a rental car to get around the island though. I'd recommend the northern end of the island as it's a bit wilder. Only downside of your chosen time of year is that the weather will be variable. May is the time to hit the highlands and Skye from a weather perspective, at least in my experience. It'll also be full of tourists, but they'll generally just hit the hotspots.

29 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

thanks for that. i've always wanted to go there but we will be flying in from spain, so don't know whether up for a 4 hour drive - we can't fly direct to inverness.

are midgies a big problem in the highlands generally at that time of year? 

You could get the train up as far as Kyle which then reduces your drive to up to 1 hour depending where on the island you go. But yes, Skye is largely the end of the world in some respects :lol:

I think if you're in a holiday cottage rather than camping, maybe midgies aren't too bad anywhere really. You can stay indoors during peak bloodfeast (dusk). Ultimately if you're in a valley near water it's going to be bad though.

Edited by Rayvin

I often recommend Arran when it comes to Scottish trips as it's a bit underregarded, but the one thing it definitely doesn't have is family-friendly bike trails. :D Touristy as it is, I think Loch Lomond and the Trossachs are decent for that kind of thing, but as with what Rayvin says about Skye, I imagine places get booked up pretty sharpish.

Good advice from Rayvin there. I'd also suggest Tobermory on Mull. Anywhere up the west coast tbf. Fort William isn't a pretty town but next to some stunning scenery, and of course the Ben. But it's hard to beat Glen Nevis, Glen Coe, Ben Starav area, etc. Iirc theres a mountain bike centre on its northern flanks, as well as a gondola up its neighbour, Aonach Mor. Never done it like. Oh, and the train to Mallaig of course.

Midges will be  a PITA. Weather is a lottery. And overall it's much less accessible than the lakes. I haven't done Scotland as a family, will be curious how you get on. 

3 hours ago, Dr Gloom said:

Hopefully including: 

Thanks in advance!

Havent done it with kids, but the drive from:

Glencoe to Mallaig

Ferry over to Skye

Drive to Eilean Donan

And on to Fort Augustus/Loch Ness was out of this world! 

Edited by Kid Dynamite
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, TheGingerQuiff said:

Domestic flight. For shame!

on the contrary. i'll be flying direct from a week in spain, offsetting emissions, naturally, then train home to the big smoke. 

don't fuck with this board's biggest climate change-conscious, virtue signalling, SJW, hipster arsehole

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

Havent done it with kids, but the drive from:

Glencoe to Mallaig

Ferry over to Skye

Drive to Eilean Donan

And on to Fort Augustus/Loch Ness was out of this world! 

which of those locations would you drop anchor in for a week, if you had to choose? (bear in mind i'll have a 9 year old and a 5 year old with us)

5 hours ago, Dr Gloom said:

Hopefully including: 

Thanks in advance!

1. Fly to Newcastle instead

2. Spend the week in God's greatest creation; The Ancient Kingdom of Northumbria

3. Don't cross the border into the insect ridden whisky breathed heathen shithole to the north, inhabited by utter cunts who are only friendly towards tourists because they want your money 

Hope this helps :)

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Dr Gloom said:

which of those locations would you drop anchor in for a week, if you had to choose? (bear in mind i'll have a 9 year old and a 5 year old with us)

Isle of Skye. Plenty of nice stuff within driving distance of there 

5 hours ago, Dr Gloom said:

Fort William. 
Central to all of them and you’ll have a greater choice of digs. 

I would love to do the Pyrenees one.

When I was in Italy last year we cycled up from Tirano and then dropped into Switerland and then back over to Italy via the Bernin Pass.  On the way up you pass the Bernina railway including the spiral viaduct, its stunning.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brusio_spiral_viaduct

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wykikitoon said:

I would love to do the Pyrenees one.

When I was in Italy last year we cycled up from Tirano and then dropped into Switerland and then back over to Italy via the Bernin Pass.  On the way up you pass the Bernina railway including the spiral viaduct, its stunning.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brusio_spiral_viaduct

Have you done the Stelvio Pass? 

I was in John Lewis yesterday and they've got a bunch of cycling related artwork in there, stuff like this. 

https://www.johnlewis.com/sassan-filsoof-giro-d'italia-framed-print-73-x-53cm/p2235856

"85 quid?! Is tha chuffin daft, claart-eead?!" 

• Like 1

:lol:

Aye, amazing, and we did it both ways ;):lol:

That week we did the Stelvio, Umbarail Gavia and Mortirolo which are the iconic Giro climbs.  Stelvio is fucking something else.  I was in a dark dark place the last 5km of it.

We also did the Bernina, Cancano which is in this years Giro, Forcolo and the Foscagno.  What a stunning area to be in.

• Haha 1

• Meenzer changed the title to Holidays 2024