Holidays 2024

McFaul

24 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Sitting in the static caravan in Keswick in the middle of this wild storm, looking across the street at the camping site. Fuuuuuuuck that. :lol:

Watching campers battling their tents in strong winds is one of life's guilty pleasures, touring van awnings can be similarly amusing though not to such an extent.

1 hour ago, Meenzer said:

Just as long as the caravan remains static. :D 

Some of these didn't, when Scotland had their Thunder Thursday last Tuesday (was good to watch as it missed us passing east and west by about 5 miles but hammered everywhere further north.!)

PB8.jpg

Right you Northumberland Loving Cuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurnts.

The wife and I have booked to goto a place near Blanchland in late Sept.  We were going to head upto the coast for a couple of nights first.  Somewhere around Seahouses.  Can anyone recommend anywhere?  For a couple of nights, maybe somewhere we can get a bite to eat and the like.

Bamburgh is just up the road from Seahouses, much nicer, big fuck-off castle, best beach in Britain, and has a few hotels you can pick from. 
The Victoria isn’t bad, certainly for a couple of nights. 

While you’re there, do the boat trip to the Farnes. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Monkeys Fist said:

Bamburgh is just up the road from Seahouses, much nicer, big fuck-off castle, best beach in Britain, and has a few hotels you can pick from. 
The Victoria isn’t bad, certainly for a couple of nights. 

While you’re there, do the boat trip to the Farnes. 

are the farnes boat trips operating during these unprecedented times?

as the resident bill oddie, I'd advise against going there now anyway, too late in the year, vast majority of the seabirds will have already fucked off by now.

may, june and july are best months to catch the farnes in their glory.  :)

1 hour ago, thebrokendoll said:

are the farnes boat trips operating during these unprecedented times?

as the resident bill oddie, I'd advise against going there now anyway, too late in the year, vast majority of the seabirds will have already fucked off by now.

may, june and july are best months to catch the farnes in their glory.  :)

They are doing trips but not landing on the island. 
The seal-spotting trip is the one to go for, lasts about an hour and a half. 
https://www.farne-islands.com/

1 hour ago, wykikitoon said:

Gutted that Victoria is fully booked

There’s a Lord Crewe Arms, and another hotel in the village who’s name escapes me. 
Failing that, Low Newton-by-the-Sea is a nice little place south of Seahouses, see if you can get booked at The Joiners Arms?

https://joiners-arms.com/

Also, The Ship Inn is a must visit, right on Low Newton beach, which is also a lovely spot. 

A bit further north, the Barn at Beal is good for daytime or evening food too.

Mind, I see their current menu includes a Pheasant Katsu Curry, which sounds dangerously close to English fusion tapas. :D 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Monkeys Fist said:

They are doing trips but not landing on the island. 
The seal-spotting trip is the one to go for, lasts about an hour and a half. 
https://www.farne-islands.com/

been going for ever billy shiels!

it's all about the birds for me mr fist, a trip to the farnes isn't complete without the hilarious sight of a crazed arctic tern drawing blood from the head of the unsuspecting!

i'm surprised the boats are sailing, i looked in to the boat trips from bridlington which sail along the bottom of the cliffs at bempton and chuck fish guts etc over the side for the gannets to dive for. think that was june (ish) and a non starter.

just in case anybody's remotely interested in that sort of thing, bempton cliffs are truly a must see, hear and smell in the breeding season, good head for heights required mind, it's like the world really is flat and you've just arrived at the end of it!   :)

• Like 2

Had a few days wild camping in Scotland, it was wonderful. Went over Galloway forest park & camped by a loch, which we pretty much had to ourselves.

The weather wasn’t always on our side but we had an excellent fire and a tarp to hide under so it didn’t bother us as the stars were out.

Lovely few days. 

• Like 5

• Meenzer changed the title to Holidays 2024