Holidays 2024

McFaul

First day done. Munich has treated us well. Chez, great recommendation! We fucked the festival off today, was full of old men. Found some chemical enhancements and had a right ball around central Munich. Going festival tomorrow at 10am, probably bored and back on it by 11/12.

Great city, lovely people and the beer wenches do not disappoint!

That reminds me, we just booked up for a cheap-and-cheerful Lanzarote jaunt in mid-December. (Sorry.)

Usual old haunt in Costa Teguise, basically just an excuse to read a pile of books, eat a ton of seafood and turn up to Christmas still significantly paler than the Australian wing of the family, the bassas.

That reminds me, we just booked up for a cheap-and-cheerful Lanzarote jaunt in mid-December. (Sorry.)

Usual old haunt in Costa Teguise, basically just an excuse to read a pile of books, eat a ton of seafood and turn up to Christmas still significantly paler than the Australian wing of the family, the bassas.

Off to Costa Teguise the week before Christmas to visit my folks who live there 6 months off the year.

Unfortunately, their recommendations for bars/restaurants are solely based on the price of booze and whether they show the Newcastle games. If you know of any nice places please let me know. Likewise, if you are after cheap booze and Newcastle matches then I'll be happy to help as my dad has done a Phd level of research on both subjects.

Off to Costa Teguise the week before Christmas to visit my folks who live there 6 months off the year.

Unfortunately, their recommendations for bars/restaurants are solely based on the price of booze and whether they show the Newcastle games. If you know of any nice places please let me know. Likewise, if you are after cheap booze and Newcastle matches then I'll be happy to help as my dad has done a Phd level of research on both subjects.

:lol: Best restaurant we've been to there is El Navarro. Looks like nowt from the outside because it's squeezed between two bars (or at least it used to be), but the food is good and it's not stupidly priced for the standard of the grub. You'll probably want to book a few days ahead to make sure of getting a table though (maybe slightly less so in December).

Couple of the restaurants around the smaller bay at Playa Jablillo are nice - just your standard seafood, paella etc., but a bit quieter than the main burn further round the resort, so more pleasant for sitting with a sea view and a vat of sangria.

Not sure about bars as we haven't been for a few years and the nicer little places tend to come and go (whereas the football and Irish places are eternal...), but I'll holler if we find anything new.

:lol: Best restaurant we've been to there is El Navarro. Looks like nowt from the outside because it's squeezed between two bars (or at least it used to be), but the food is good and it's not stupidly priced for the standard of the grub. You'll probably want to book a few days ahead to make sure of getting a table though (maybe slightly less so in December).

Not sure about bars as we haven't been for a few years and the nicer little places tend to come and go (whereas the football and Irish places are eternal...), but I'll holler if we find anything new.

Went to Teguise once in 2001 and didn't care much for it tbh, although the restaurants seemed pretty good IIRC.

Couple of the restaurants around the smaller bay at Playa Jablillo are nice - just your standard seafood, paella etc., but a bit quieter than the main burn further round the resort, so more pleasant for sitting with a sea view and a vat of sangria.

Great stuff, much appreciated!

:lol: The last paragraph (the Attitude quote) says it all really - do a bit of research ffs, the Yumbo Centre even has a dedicated Eurovision bar, so the clues are plentiful - but it's true that it can be a bit, well, in-your face if you're not used to it. The drink thing is cheeky as fuck mind. :D

We had our honeymoon at Playa del ingles but there was only one obviously gay couple staying in our hotel, two German kids, 'hold mein little hands, Hans, was the catchphrase I used a few times in my best Colditz Kommandant accent. Went to the yumbo a couple of times. It was canny enough although no gays sent flowers to my room for me unlike the kid in the paper. Always the flipping groom, never the bridesmaid! :)

Went to Grab Canaria, Playa del ingles, in the early 90s, completely unaware it was so gay (pre-internet). Enjoyed it except contrary to that TA report the food in my hotel was awful. Also once went by mistake to a gay hotel in Boston which was a bit ott. More leather in the bar than a morrocan market. Gayest place I've ever been though had to be stiges near Barcelona. Fantastic place Tbh.

We had our honeymoon at Playa del ingles but there was only one obviously gay couple staying in our hotel, two German kids, 'hold mein little hands, Hans, was the catchphrase I used a few times in my best Colditz Kommandant accent. Went to the yumbo a couple of times. It was canny enough although no gays sent flowers to my room for me unlike the kid in the paper. Always the flipping groom, never the bridesmaid! :)

:lol:

Well octoberfest was mint, Munich is a nice place generally but a bit clean cut for my tastes. I wouldn't take your lass there though, my head was on a swivel all week.

On a detox forever now mind, was like that scene from Trainspotting when I got home last night.

• 3 weeks later...

Possibly due to some, as yet unconfirmed, bizarre alignment of planetary bodies and that kind of shite, I've somehow managed to wangle a pass to a 20 year reunion of folks I worked with as a Canoe God.

It's in March next year, near Perpignan.

The guy arranging it owns several very nice gites in a village there, and has invited a bunch of us down for a long weekend of nostalgia and amnesia :lol:

Anyway, I'm looking at flying Newcastle to Barcelona then hiring a car and driving up there, it's only an hour and a half ( 3/2 for :CT: ), but as a very infrequent flyer I have a question.

I want to take a few bottles of decent local beers down as part of a gift for the lad who's putting the weekend on, but I'm not sure what the best way to get them there is?

Can I put them in my carry on bag, in my luggage, or am I better off having them delivered to Perpignan and collecting them once I get there?

• Meenzer changed the title to Holidays 2024