Holidays 2024

McFaul

• 3 weeks later...
On 31/05/2017 at 9:53 PM, Meenzer said:

After the glamour of Sofia last year, today I learned that the 2017 edition of the autumnal eurofagfan meetup will be in... Ghent. Well, okay.

I hereby withdraw my scepticism - lovely place. Much of the prettiness of Bruges but in an actual working city that's less clogged up by tourists. Definitely worth a weekend jaunt.

32 minutes ago, Alex said:

Got two nights in the Lakes without the little shits coming up in November

Mate of mine just WhatsAppd me a picture 10mins ago.  He was riding up Kirkstone, looked mega.  Jealous AS FUCK! 

Left it relatively late because work holiday situation wasn't clear, but we've just booked a week of standard-issue Gran Canaria fare for the end of November (nice cottage bungalow on a quiet complex but within easy striking distance of Yumbo Centre debauchery). Bit pricier than the usual Lanza jaunt, both accommodation- and food-wise, but fuck only knows how much foreign holidays will cost after 2019 so might as well do it while we still can. :)

I went to Santa Eulalia for a wedding a while back. A completely different side to the island to what I experienced on previous visits. Beautiful quiet, family friendly beaches.

Ibiza town is beautiful too. You could stay just outside it without being somewhere that looks like feature in Ibiza uncovered. Plus it has a nice balance of good restaurants and bars.

2 hours ago, PaddockLad said:

The current Mrs PL is making noises about Ibiza for next year, anyone been to the non "clubby" bits? Any recommendations for quiet areas/resorts? Muchos grassland pour flavour etc etc...  

I've been to Es Cana for a couple of weeks. Was 2001 because 9/11 happened while I was there. Really liked it iirc, no rave night clubs involved. Might have been a hippy market though. 

Menorca is currently my favourite Balearic, but mainly because it's great for kids. 

Right now I'm in the lakes for a week. Honestly, there's nowhere else I'd rather be. It's breathtakingly beautiful. 

1 hour ago, heatonrifles said:

Where would you say best spots in lakes are with kids for a week or so?

Anywhere really. I always stay north lakes mainly for accessibility reasons. Loads to do in keswick and a public pool if it's rainy. Grasmere is fantastic but very expensive. 

However, I stay mainly in Patterdale/Glenridding area, here:

https://patterdalehallestate.com/

It's brilliant value and the manager is from Tynemouth I think and dead canny. Not very useful advice like because it's always fully booked and you'll never get a reservation until you've been on the waiting list for years. Once you're in, you get priority bookings. I'm going twice a year until I move to the lakes permanently (or am dead, whichever comes first). 

On 25/10/2017 at 0:04 PM, wykikitoon said:

Mate of mine just WhatsAppd me a picture 10mins ago.  He was riding up Kirkstone, looked mega.  Jealous AS FUCK! 

Does she not have a first name, like?

23 hours ago, Dr Gloom said:

I went to Santa Eulalia for a wedding a while back. A completely different side to the island to what I experienced on previous visits. Beautiful quiet, family friendly beaches.

Ibiza town is beautiful too. You could stay just outside it without being somewhere that looks like feature in Ibiza uncovered. Plus it has a nice balance of good restaurants and bars.

We have been to Sanara Eulalia a few times the port area is lovely.

20 hours ago, heatonrifles said:

Where would you say best spots in lakes are with kids for a week or so?

Ambleside. - Decent sized, some decent places to grab scran and like Alex said a decent base.  You can do a lot of stuff near by walking wise.  Or goto Grizedale a short drive to do Go Ape.
Keswick - North end of the Lakes.  Again, a 5 mins drive upto Whinlatter you have great walking for the kids, or if they like cycling the MTB trails which are graded for all ages / abilities and again Go Ape.
Windermere / Bowness.  Like Ambleside really for size and stuff to do.

My fave places are Ambleside and Keswick.  Fave time to go is Spring / Autumn and Winter is just amazing up there.  Places looks mega.

• Meenzer changed the title to Holidays 2024