Holidays 2024

McFaul

On 29/10/2017 at 2:58 PM, heatonrifles said:

Where would you say best spots in lakes are with kids for a week or so?

Mid you’re not too posh, Haven At Grange over Sands is a great base.

Nice static caravan with central heating for £250 a week in spring. Site has own pool, entertainment, golf course etc and is easy drive for Bowness, Grizedale (excellent) and the zoo.

Depending on age of kids, the visitor centre outside of Bowness is very good with a very safe, kid friendly go ape type thing. Also the National Trust site at the top of Windermere is excellent for under 10’s.

Thing is, I think if you're going to bother going to the Lakes then stay there. I know Grange-over-Sands is just outside the National Park but you're missing out on the scenery by staying there and also the serenity you enjoy within the National Park itself once the day trippers leave places etc. Also worth noting that distances within the Lakes aren't like they are in most places so a 10-15 mile drive is often effectively doubled / tripled because of the roads and if you stay there you're going to have to drive to anywhere worth seeing which is why it's cheaper.

Edited by Alex

2 minutes ago, Alex said:

Thing is, I think if you're going to bother going to the Lakes then stay there. I know Grange-over-Sands is just outside the National Park but you're missing out on the scenery by staying there and also the serenity you enjoy within the National Park itself once the day trippers leave places etc. Also worth noting that distances within the Lakes aren't like they are in most places so a 10-15 mile drive is often effectively doubled / tripled because of the roads.

I don’t disagree really but it depends how many kids, how easy they are to pacify and your budget.

As for driving btw the road from GOS to Grizedale is gorgeous. Rarely see another car. 

What's Grizedale got to offer though really? It's a nice forest but nothing special in terms of the Lakes. Did the Silurian Way and it's a canny boring walk tbh. Fine if you're into mountain biking and it has the zip wire but it's just as accessible (with a nicer drive) from Bowness via the car ferry, for example. Take the point about the budget but I'm guessing you've cherry-picked the cheapest time of the year (more or less) anyway. And it's not really a great suggesting for the Lakes, i.e. a Haven holiday park on the Cumbrian Coast. Completely defeats the object of staying there iyam. Especially given the request for recommendations.

44 minutes ago, Alex said:

What's Grizedale got to offer though really? It's a nice forest but nothing special in terms of the Lakes. Did the Silurian Way and it's a canny boring walk tbh. Fine if you're into mountain biking and it has the zip wire but it's just as accessible (with a nicer drive) from Bowness via the car ferry, for example. Take the point about the budget but I'm guessing you've cherry-picked the cheapest time of the year (more or less) anyway. And it's not really a great suggesting for the Lakes, i.e. a Haven holiday park on the Cumbrian Coast. Completely defeats the object of staying there iyam. Especially given the request for recommendations.

Depends what he’s after and whether he’s a walker like Renton (possibly you dunno) or just an average joe who wants a holiday in the Lakes and isn’t in to fell walking.

We go every spring usually for 4 days and tend to find Haven ideal for a large family(s) who want to go out for the day but also want activities to do when we get back.

Grizedale is ideal for a few hours walking the trails with all ages before heading off (via the car ferry) to Bowness for lunch and a wander.

Zoo is a no brainier for a few hours entertaining kids. Maybe Tarn hows for a few hours etc.

We are probably the sort of Lakes visitors you and Renton despise but at least we keep the eateries and pubs busy while your up the hills.

1 minute ago, Christmas Tree said:

Depends what he’s after and whether he’s a walker like Renton (possibly you dunno) or just an average joe who wants a holiday in the Lakes and isn’t in to fell walking.

He said he wanted a holiday in the Lakes and you suggested a place outside the Lakes :lol:

We go every spring usually for 4 days and tend to find Haven ideal for a large family(s) who want to go out for the day but also want activities to do when we get back.

So fuck? You're an idiot with the mentaility of a charver

Grizedale is ideal for a few hours walking the trails with all ages before heading off (via the car ferry) to Bowness for lunch and a wander.

It is ideal for that but, as I said it's just a nice forest which doesn't afford views of the Lakes, you could just as easily be somewhere like Kielder tbh.

Zoo is a no brainier for a few hours entertaining kids. Maybe Tarn hows for a few hours etc.

Aye, that Zoo is mint, shame about the 500+ animals that have died (not to mention a Zoo keeper) due to the previous owner's neglect of duty. Other than that though. Tarn Hows is nice but it's about 45 minutes away in the car in clear/moderate traffic, so that's an odd place to bring up.

We are probably the sort of Lakes visitors you and Renton despise but at least we keep the eateries and pubs busy while your up the hills.

Aye, because people who go fell walking then wild camp and never visit the restaurants or pubs. That's why I recommend Ambleside, probably the best place in the National Park in terms of eating and drinking options.

Stop trying to be clever, you're shit at it.

4 minutes ago, Christmas Tree said:

:lol:

course its in the fucking Lakes! 

It's outside the National Park, it's not that close to any of the lakes, the scenery is completely untypical of that associated with the Lakes and it's on the south Cumbrian Coast. I try to ignore you on the whole but it wouldn't be fair to the bloke asking for advice not to show yours up for being a fucking woeful recommendation, you fat spaz

2 minutes ago, Alex said:

It's outside the National Park, it's not that close to any of the lakes, the scenery is completely untypical of that associated with the Lakes and it's on the south Cumbrian Coast. I try to ignore you on the whole but it wouldn't be fair to the bloke asking for advice not to show yours up for being a fucking woeful recommendation, you fat spaz

If you are being that pedantic, fucking Kendal is not in the Lakes either!

As it happens, some of Grange over Sands fucking well is inside the National Park so stick that in your pipe hole. :lol:

As for ignoring me.... really :lol:

You keep promising but.....

• Meenzer changed the title to Holidays 2024