Holidays 2024

McFaul

15 hours ago, Christmas Tree said:

:lol:

Did you get to linhope spout for a paddle?

If that’s not a euphemism it should be

• 1 month later...
9 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

Anyone ever been to Seville? 

Wife and I fancy it but fuck me finding direct flights is a cunt unless you live in London! 

Cadiz or Faro probably best and an hours drive.

Edit. Not been but know the coast along there well.

Edited by zerosum

12 hours ago, wykikitoon said:

Anyone ever been to Seville? 

Wife and I fancy it but fuck me finding direct flights is a cunt unless you live in London! 

Yes, been twice

Its a class place, a week would be enough and I would hire a car so you can go to other places (Alhambra, Granada and a couple of others are doable in a day and really worth it). The food is outstanding. If you are going the height of summer it could well be 40 degrees in the city mind. 

If you end up going let me know I will try and remember some places to eat if you’re arsed

Anyone got any Lake District recommendations? Just after a weekend away, have some decent scran, some pubs, just a relaxing time but not really sure where TO stay i.e. Penrith, Keswick and on it goes. Who's been where? I know people have talked about this before but I'd like an answer that didn't contain CTs drivel, if possible.

And there was me just starting to plan a weekend Lakes trip myself...

From past experience, assuming you're driving, the area around Ambleside/Elterwater is a decent base - nice in itself, plenty good food/drink/amenities in Ambleside proper, plus it puts you within a reasonable drive of Coniston/Grizedale and the gentler countryside to the south, Keswick and onward to Borrowdale to the north, and the hardcore roads up into the hills depending on what you feel like doing with each day.

Or just go and stay in Borrowdale itself, because it's lovely. More on the pretty side than the wild and windswept side though, so depends what you're after, but the villages from Grange along to Seatoller all have their qualities and you're not far from Keswick if you want a bit more life of an evening.

If you're relying on public transport (or just fancy a drink without a drive) or if you're less bothered about your accommodation being somewhere twee and lovely then Keswick is as good a base as any, I reckon - decent buses to plenty places and some canny scran options in the town itself, albeit a bit less authentically countryside-y, obviously. (Also the Pencil Museum.)

Gemmill's right though, Renton and Alex seem to spend decent chunks of their lives in the Lakes, so I want to hear what they have to say for my own planning purposes too. :D

36 minutes ago, Meenzer said:

And there was me just starting to plan a weekend Lakes trip myself...

From past experience, assuming you're driving, the area around Ambleside/Elterwater is a decent base - nice in itself, plenty good food/drink/amenities in Ambleside proper, plus it puts you within a reasonable drive of Coniston/Grizedale and the gentler countryside to the south, Keswick and onward to Borrowdale to the north, and the hardcore roads up into the hills depending on what you feel like doing with each day.

Or just go and stay in Borrowdale itself, because it's lovely. More on the pretty side than the wild and windswept side though, so depends what you're after, but the villages from Grange along to Seatoller all have their qualities and you're not far from Keswick if you want a bit more life of an evening.

If you're relying on public transport (or just fancy a drink without a drive) or if you're less bothered about your accommodation being somewhere twee and lovely then Keswick is as good a base as any, I reckon - decent buses to plenty places and some canny scran options in the town itself, albeit a bit less authentically countryside-y, obviously. (Also the Pencil Museum.)

Gemmill's right though, Renton and Alex seem to spend decent chunks of their lives in the Lakes, so I want to hear what they have to say for my own planning purposes too. :D

I'm in patterdle now as it happens. Short answer is AH, I think you're from Newcastle, young, like beer and food, so Keswick is probably the best option. There's a myriad of accommodation,  all canny expensive. 

Now this isn't telling you much, so here's some value. Get the ferry across to the base of catbellls. Climb this hill with a picnic and enjoy the great views. Descend southwards and traverse the bottom of the lake to Lodore. A bit north of Lodore is a pub with a fantastic beer garden overlooking the lake called the Mary Mount. Enjoy your Peroni and get the ferry back to Keswick. Might even get a shag out of it. 

4 minutes ago, catmag said:

I appear to be going on an unexpected trip to Majorca soon. Needs to hurry the fuck up.

PS. Hi, sorry to have neglected you..

Welcome back!

• Like 1

Going to Mauritius for a wedding in August. Bride's family has a full week of activities as options. A picnic up a mountain, a day on a yacht, a barbecue at their place etc. Or we can just lounge at our hotel for the duration. Can't wait!

9 hours ago, Renton said:

I'm in patterdle now as it happens. Short answer is AH, I think you're from Newcastle, young, like beer and food, so Keswick is probably the best option. There's a myriad of accommodation,  all canny expensive. 

Now this isn't telling you much, so here's some value. Get the ferry across to the base of catbellls. Climb this hill with a picnic and enjoy the great views. Descend southwards and traverse the bottom of the lake to Lodore. A bit north of Lodore is a pub with a fantastic beer garden overlooking the lake called the Mary Mount. Enjoy your Peroni and get the ferry back to Keswick. Might even get a shag out of it. 

It’s like you’ve known me all my life. And I’ll be able to find some cheap place to stay, even if it’s an Air BnB and wor lass has to kip in the bath. 

Cheers chaps, Keswick sounds good to me.

• Haha 2

• Meenzer changed the title to Holidays 2024