Holidays 2024

McFaul

31 minutes ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

Cheers chaps, Keswick sounds good to me.

And since you mentioned scran: the last time I ate in Keswick was at a pretty decent tapas and craft beer joint (I know I know, usual forum mockery incoming :lol: ) called Bar eS, just off the main burn. Recommended if you fancy a change from lakeside fish&chips and locally sourced cute baby lambs one night. 

1 hour ago, The Fish said:

Going to Mauritius for a wedding in August. Bride's family has a full week of activities as options. A picnic up a mountain, a day on a yacht, a barbecue at their place etc. Or we can just lounge at our hotel for the duration. Can't wait!

Unless the bride is from Mauritius that's taking the piss.

56 minutes ago, Meenzer said:

And since you mentioned scran: the last time I ate in Keswick was at a pretty decent tapas and craft beer joint (I know I know, usual forum mockery incoming :lol: ) called Bar eS, just off the main burn. Recommended if you fancy a change from lakeside fish&chips and locally sourced cute baby lambs one night. 

English tapas?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Gemmill said:

My mam's just bought a static caravan at the site in Keswick. Need to get myself a weekend booked in there to do the Renton heritage tour.

Is she interested in renting it out on the cheap sometime in September? Asking for a friend

2 hours ago, Meenzer said:

Everything has to be with an eye on decent veggie menus since I’ve, somehow, ended up with a defective one so I’ll be staying away from the gorgeous, tender meat, slathered in delicious gravy for one weekend and tapas sounds like a good shout to me.

12 minutes ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

Is she interested in renting it out on the cheap sometime in September? Asking for a friend

Between her and my sister constantly staying there, I can't find a free few days. So you've got nee chance!

8 minutes ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

Everything has to be with an eye on decent veggie menus since I’ve, somehow, ended up with a defective one so I’ll be staying away from the gorgeous, tender meat, slathered in delicious gravy for one weekend and tapas sounds like a good shout to me.

You have my sympathy. Keswick even has a vegetarian hotel (...apparently this is a thing), if you can allow yourself to get over their repeated use of the word "suppliment". http://www.theheightshotel.co.uk

53 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

Ive rented a 72 VW Campervan and we are doing the West Coast of Scotland/Highlands for 4 days.

Trossachs

Glencoe

Fort William

Glenfinnan

Isle of Skye

Eilean Donan 

Loch Ness

Cairngorns etc.

The distances are fucking massive up there because of the actual distances and the roads. If it’s only 4 days I would limit it and concentrate on where you really fancy otherwise it’ll be totally trashing. To put it in perspective you’d barely scratch the surface of Skye in that time. An itinerary like yours is literally getting out for five minutes and back on the road. Yours to Ft William in a camper van is probably 7-8 hours driving 

Itinerary is sorted. Van gets picked up in Falkirk at 10am so almost in the Highlands. Max travelling of 150miles per day, 2 or 3 stops. Should be manageable. We aren't touring all of Skye, just getting the ferry over and walking to point of sleat beach before heading back over the bridge to eilean donan castle 

It’s lush up there, have a nice time. But honestly 150 miles per day is more akin to driving to London from Newcastle every day on motorways. Not trying to be a know all or to put a dampener on it, just trying to offer up advice as I’ve driven up there a fair bit 

:lol:

As Alex says, not a chance in 4 days.

Done most of that many a time in a camper van and you’ll either not do it or miss so much, such as stopping off at the monument on the road to Skye and watching the steam train climb the hills.

Also, stop at Ullerpool, right on the beach, build a fire and watch the best sunset you’ll see in the UK.

22 hours ago, ewerk said:

Unless the bride is from Mauritius that's taking the piss.

She is, aye. He's a good mate (Usher at mine), but there's no way we'd be going if this was some random spot on the map they'd chosen.

Got a really good deal in the end, flights and very nice hotel for a reasonable price.

On 25/07/2018 at 20:34, Christmas Tree said:

:lol:

As Alex says, not a chance in 4 days.

Done most of that many a time in a camper van and you’ll either not do it or miss so much, such as stopping off at the monument on the road to Skye and watching the steam train climb the hills.

Also, stop at Ullerpool, right on the beach, build a fire and watch the best sunset you’ll see in the UK.

I’d also recommend doing this at Ullapool. 

Also, I’d take Alex’s advice, KD. 

I’ve covered some ground up there by road and, whilst it’s stunning scenery, it’s full on exhausting driving any great distance. 

150 miles a day, in a VW camper, is mental. 

You’ll be in 2nd (or 3rd if find a straight), gear most of the time. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Flew back from two weeks in Umbria today. Fucking gutted to be back. Was in the queue to get on the plane and noticed a fat cunt a few people ahead of me in a Panama hat.

It wasn't until he took the hat off to reveal a rose tattoo up the back of his neck and skull that I realised he was a bit too classy to be CT.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

5 hours ago, Gemmill said:

Flew back from two weeks in Umbria today. Fucking gutted to be back. Was in the queue to get on the plane and noticed a fat cunt a few people ahead of me in a Panama hat.

It wasn't until he took the hat off to reveal a rose tattoo up the back of his neck and skull that I realised he was a bit too classy to be CT.

Nice. Any places you went that stood out?

Been to Florence a couple of times, visited San Marino, Rimini and Venice.. but not been further down toward there.

Got back from a long weekend in the Highlands. We did:

Glencoe

Fort William

South Coast of Skye

Eilean Donan

Fort Augustus\Loch Ness

Pitlochry

Highlight was spending half a day hiking to the southern most point of Skye. The views and beaches down there are unreal 

IMG_20180812_163832_355_zpskw6o3dux.jpg

IMG_20180812_163630_551_zpsgao0xeat.jpg

IMG_20180812_163021_730_zpskv9wh4nq.jpg

IMG_20180811_190537_zpsbjbbyqjr.jpg

• Like 6

• Meenzer changed the title to Holidays 2024