Holidays 2024

McFaul

"Yeah, so after that I became a moderator on a well known NUFC forum on top of the Marvel forums I also moderate but obviously I didn't tell the NUFC lot about! Lol. I'm not mad!"

"And what exactly do you think your moderating experience will bring to this fish fingers processing factory, Mr Fish?"

• Haha 6

On 29/07/2021 at 18:01, Christmas Tree said:

Just discovered the YHA :lol:

Never looked into them before but what stunning places they have. Thinking of having a bit of a run round with the Mrs during the hols.

Im thinking of Stratford upon Avon, over to Snowdonia, then Chester, the hawks head or Coniston.

Just got to find some cheap hiking boots and matching cagoules so we look like walkers.

You are aware what the Y in YHA stands for right? I don't think there's anyone posting on this board that would want to do this. There's always some fucker who snores in a dormitory. 

56 minutes ago, Renton said:

You are aware what the Y in YHA stands for right? I don't think there's anyone posting on this board that would want to do this. There's always some fucker who snores in a dormitory. 

Wouldnt dream of a dormitory. Seems to be loads of private en-suite rooms available. Lots of 4 and 6 private rooms too which is why they seem to be proving quite popular with families.

For instance a family of four can have a private room at Coniston next week for £100 in this gorgeous house in a stunning location.

3109D684-DC98-4490-920F-8DE03B0297DB.jpeg

My parents dragged me round every YHA in the country when i was a kid, im still traumatised. Every day you had a rota  of "duties" to perform such as cleaning the ovens. Some holiday. :lol:

I know things have changed with private rooms etc, but they're still very basic aimed at a young backpacker clientele CT, perhaps young families, not late middle aged folk with a passing interest in "rambling". You can listen to me now or get divorced, your choice. 

• Haha 4

Incidentally, the Helvellyn YHA practically saved my life this year with its free to use water tap. Never been more thirsty in my life than last week coming down having ran out of water 2 hours previous. I was tempted to drink red tarn at one point.

1 hour ago, Renton said:

Incidentally, the Helvellyn YHA practically saved my life this year with its free to use water tap. Never been more thirsty in my life than last week coming down having ran out of water 2 hours previous. I was tempted to drink red tarn at one point.

My only real regret in life is not having done (amateur) mountain climbing. Married young with a zillion kids and a wife who has little interest, it’s always been more forest walks like Grizedale.

Ive been watching a youtuber lately called “Scottish Mountain’s” and some of his trips and wild camping on mountain tops are stunning. Going to sleep watching the Northern lights and waking up to magnificent sunrises.

Jaw dropping scenery at every turn.

Alas my dodgy knee would struggles up Penshaw :lol: 

• Haha 2

That’s a proper gobshite phrase that.

You can gan up a mountain anytime man :lol: 

Most people would kill to be able to fulfill their life’s “only regret” with a 3hr stroll! 

29 minutes ago, Tom said:

That’s a proper gobshite phrase that.

You can gan up a mountain anytime man :lol: 

Most people would kill to be able to fulfill their life’s “only regret” with a 3hr stroll! 

With my arthritic knee I’d struggle getting to level 7 at Newcastle :lol:

Stop being soft man. 

Do the Yorkshire peaks or something, easily doable for a man with a bad knee. 

Get to the gym & strengthen the muscles around the knee & it won’t be half as bad. Work on the quads too & you’ll piss it, especially if you’ve kept the weight off :up: 

9 hours ago, Christmas Tree said:

My only real regret in life is not having done (amateur) mountain climbing. Married young with a zillion kids and a wife who has little interest, it’s always been more forest walks like Grizedale.

Ive been watching a youtuber lately called “Scottish Mountain’s” and some of his trips and wild camping on mountain tops are stunning. Going to sleep watching the Northern lights and waking up to magnificent sunrises.

Jaw dropping scenery at every turn.

Alas my dodgy knee would struggles up Penshaw :lol: 

There’s loads of smaller fells that have great views without the need to half kill yourself. Although I’ve seen loads of people older than both of us at the top of the higher peaks in the lakes though. I suspect you’re talking shite though so I’m not going to bother my arse recommending any 

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Monkeys Fist said:

Fucking hop, soft shite :lol:

There’s double amputees climbed Everest so I don’t think having kids counts as an excuse for not being able to climb the Old Man of Coniston 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Castle Crag near Keswick is a nice friendly walk in the Lakes that gives rewarding views for the effort involved. I try and do this route https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/borrowdale-and-derwent-water/trails/borger-dalr-geology-walk-borrowdale whenever I'm in the area, or there's this https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/borrowdale-and-derwent-water/trails/castle-crag-from-seatoller---the-scenic-route from the other end of the valley. CT, I've done the former with a friend whose Grindr handle has "FatLad" in it, so you have no excuse. :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

5 hours ago, Alex said:

There’s double amputees climbed Everest so I don’t think having kids counts as an excuse for not being able to climb the Old Man of Coniston 

Less muscles for their oxygen to get to, I don't see how that's anything but an advantage 

Catbells is the answer. Ferry there, climb, wonder at the views, descend,.flat walk to Lordor, go to St  Mary's Mount pub for lunch and drinks,.ferry back to Keswick. Can't beat that. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Meenzer said:

Castle Crag near Keswick is a nice friendly walk in the Lakes that gives rewarding views for the effort involved. I try and do this route https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/borrowdale-and-derwent-water/trails/borger-dalr-geology-walk-borrowdale whenever I'm in the area, or there's this https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/borrowdale-and-derwent-water/trails/castle-crag-from-seatoller---the-scenic-route from the other end of the valley. CT, I've done the former with a friend whose Grindr handle has "FatLad" in it, so you have no excuse. :D

My Grindr name is "BigBear" and I can still do sharp edge. 

• Meenzer changed the title to Holidays 2024