Holidays 2024

McFaul

10 hours ago, TheGingerQuiff said:

Less muscles for their oxygen to get to, I don't see how that's anything but an advantage 

The bloke I mentioned above, Norman Croucher, had this to say,

”Obviously, keeping your feet warm is a problem in high altitude climbing — but only if you have feet. While companions war-dance to keep theirs from freezing, I can stand on ice for hours. Climbing high or in a bivouac, I'm always the joker who doesn't have cold feet.”

:lol:

• Haha 3

44 minutes ago, Renton said:

Catbells is the answer. Ferry there, climb, wonder at the views, descend,.flat walk to Lordor, go to St  Mary's Mount pub for lunch and drinks,.ferry back to Keswick. Can't beat that. 

5i98qs.jpg

:lol:

• Haha 6

:lol: Thanks all, but I’m not after recommendations for gentle strolls, I was just lamenting I’ve never got round to doing what the “Scottish Mountains’s” youtuber does. Scaling magnificent peaks in the highlands and camping overnight in a tent or cave.

My knee gets quite painful after any hard ground and sometimes just goes altogether (as happened on Penshaw) :lol:  Theres a enough stupid idiots taking up mountain rescue services without me adding to their workload.

Quite happy these days to potter around Grizedale or Tarn hors. Had a lovely run out last week along Wensleydale and Swaledale and had a potter about the hill tops from Hawes to Thwaites. (Glorious car run if you’ve never done it).

Anyway, tonight I’ve arrived for an overnight stop in Balloch, Loch Lomond and just itching to get into the landscape above Ullapool.

First proper holiday without kids, 33 years ago and retracing our honeymoon. However back then we trudged through the Scottish Borders in an unwaterproof tent before running up a massive hotel debt on Access, your flexible friend.

• Haha 2

Get in a canoe, you Tubby Tit- my hip is crumbling away so I’m out of the long walks until I get an update,  but my brother and I are planning to do the Great Glen canoe trail (Fort William to Inverness) over 5 days next year with our sons. 

Hills, lochs, wild camping, fishing, pubs all whilst sat on your fat keister- it’s perfect for you. 
(If you sit up front you’ll go faster too, as your conehead is aerodynamic) 

Edit; it’s also a perfect opportunity to buy a shitload of kit you’ll never use, then sell a year later for a tidy loss 👍

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Monkeys Fist said:

Get in a canoe, you Tubby Tit- my hip is crumbling away so I’m out of the long walks until I get an update,  but my brother and I are planning to do the Great Glen canoe trail (Fort William to Inverness) over 5 days next year with our sons. 

Hills, lochs, wild camping, fishing, pubs all whilst sat on your fat keister- it’s perfect for you. 
(If you sit up front you’ll go faster too, as your conehead is aerodynamic) 

Edit; it’s also a perfect opportunity to buy a shitload of kit you’ll never use, then sell a year later for a tidy loss 👍

Thats sounds fantastic. Will that be okay on your hips though?

Sat here on my hotel bed pretending to canoe to the look of bemusement from my wife, it does seem as though it would impact your hips.

Sounds like a fantastic adventure though.  (Although I’m now thinking of that film with all the weirdos attacking the canoers). :lol:

1 hour ago, Christmas Tree said:

Sat here on my hotel bed pretending to canoe

Anyone else posted that, I’d say they were taking the piss… 

… totally believe Mr. Tumble here did this, probably with his tongue hanging out the side of his maw. 

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Christmas Tree said:

So today, left Balloch, via Oban to Fort William. This is me on the way back across the bridge after setting foot on Ben Nevis. :) 

F7F996BA-9FFA-489E-AC83-E83522A84D7A.jpeg

Let me know if there's still a Victoria Wine and an InterSport in Fort William. I'm sure those daft shites just haven't heard they've gone bust yet. 

1 hour ago, Gemmill said:

Let me know if there's still a Victoria Wine and an InterSport in Fort William. I'm sure those daft shites just haven't heard they've gone bust yet. 

Can’t say I noticed either? Trudged around the town trying to find binoculars but nobody sold them. 

Glad you're enjoying it CT. Take a trip down Glan Nevis and visit Steall falls if you can, magnificent.  And have a pint at the Clachaig in Glen Coe. Scenery doesn't get much better. Well actually it does even further North but then civilisation also runs out, so swings and roundabouts I guess. 

2 minutes ago, Renton said:

Glad you're enjoying it CT. Take a trip down Glan Nevis and visit Steall falls if you can, magnificent.  And have a pint at the Clachaig in Glen Coe. Scenery doesn't get much better. Well actually it does even further North but then civilisation also runs out, so swings and roundabouts I guess. 

Aye, I’ve stayed in Glen Nevis a few times over the years and had some lovely walks a mile or two further up the Glen. However my favourite part is going North after Ullapool. Highlands on steroids up there.

Sat by a loch today off the beaten track. Chairs out the boot, kettle on the stove and just spen a blissful hour with no one around while the fish jumped and a seal played just 20 yards away.

Absolute bliss and soul lifting. 

• Meenzer changed the title to Holidays 2024