Holidays 2024

McFaul

Fucking hell, holidaying with young kids is stressful and tiring. You can never relax for fear they are going to kill themselves by jumping off a balcony or drowning. Then there's the fact they are active all day so exhausten at night with attendant bad behaviour. This is minorca like, fuck california and the likes until they can drive. Also TOO FUCKING HOT.

It's hard work at times but can be good fun too. Had an awesome day biking around mammoth lakes yesterday. My 5 year old was in his element on his little bike and the 18 month old enjoyed being pulled around in a trailer on the back of my bike.

Then there are the car journeys where you take a wrong turn and are bombarded with "are we nearly there yet?" Questions from one while the other one screams until Peppa Pig on the iPad saves the day.

We take turns at the pool or beach reading while the other one is on childcare duty. Eating at restaurants doesn't appeal as much as it used to though. Never a relaxing experience.

Fucking hell, holidaying with young kids is stressful and tiring. You can never relax for fear they are going to kill themselves by jumping off a balcony or drowning. Then there's the fact they are active all day so exhausten at night with attendant bad behaviour. This is minorca like, fuck california and the likes until they can drive. Also TOO FUCKING HOT.

Think I preferred holidays when they were bairns rather than a moody teenager who likes NOTHING to eat and is always bored/moaning.

Just back from 3 weeks away with the kids, easier this year as the eldest looks after herself in the morning and the lad just wants his mam :lol: He is still a pain but the days of worrying about all the little details in case they get arsey is pretty much over. Going to enjoy this idyllic period until the moody teenager phase starts. 

Where we have a house in south west of country is a surfers beach, so looking after the kids playing in the sea is definitely a bit more stressful. Fortunately, the surf is so big / currents strong, that the areas where you can swim are tightly controlled and (unlike Camber sands), there are loads of life guards around. 

They'll howk one up anywhere, the filthy peasants. Everyone smokes in the bogs too. Some posh hotel or shopping mall - all no smoking- and the bogs stink like match day.

I now believe after being away for most of this year that the Islamists are nothing to be scared of compared with the newly minted Chinese middle class armed with their fuckin selfie sticks. They're unintentionally going to take over the world just by the sheer force of their primitive lack of self awareness. I was chatting to a sales assistant in the Samsung shop in Changi airport when this Chinese geezer wandered over and complelty invaded the personal space of both myself and the shop assistant so he could get a look at the phone we were talking about....he only backed off two paces or so to gob on to the carpet of the expensively fitted out retail outlet. This is how they'll take over the world. You have been warned.

Think I preferred holidays when they were bairns rather than a moody teenager who likes NOTHING to eat and is always bored/moaning.

You have to take one of their friends with you and just give them a bit of money in the morning and they disappear till teatime.

You have to take one of their friends with you and just give them a bit of money in the morning and they disappear till teatime.

Fuck that. :lol:

In a hotel or busy-ish place I could understand. We usually stay in a villa with nowhere (too) close so there'd be nowhere for them to go.

:lol:

I spent 5 days in Eskdale in a fucking camping pod[ shed with my 9 & 6 yr olds.

The trick is, take them somewhere where there's other people's kids, that way they'll fuck off and play around the other poor bastard's pitch, leaving you and the Mrs to quietly cane the Gin and regret everything :lol:

Also, the other kids are invariably much posher than mine, which always adds a little frisson of pleasure at the thought of Marcus and India, shuddering at the thought of their precious offspring consorting with oiks

" Daddy, can I go and play with Cressida, Maisie-May and Freddie?"

" Course you can pet, make sure you break something"

:whistle:

:lol:

I spent 5 days in Eskdale in a fucking camping pod[ shed with my 9 & 6 yr olds.

The trick is, take them somewhere where there's other people's kids, that way they'll fuck off and play around the other poor bastard's pitch, leaving you and the Mrs to quietly cane the Gin and regret everything :lol:

Also, the other kids are invariably much posher than mine, which always adds a little frisson of pleasure at the thought of Marcus and India, shuddering at the thought of their precious offspring consorting with oiks

" Daddy, can I go and play with Cressida, Maisie-May and Freddie?"

" Course you can pet, make sure you break something"

:whistle:

You love all this camping shit innit....

You love all this camping shit innit....

Given the choice, I'd much rather have a luxury apartment than camping, but I don't mind a few nights roughing it :lol:

I worked out that I've spent about 6-7 years of my life in total sleeping outside/under canvas.

Eh?! Were you homeless for a while?

I've been camping three times.

The first time was with school: it rained non stop, the river burst its banks and washed the bogs away.

The second time was also with school: my mate spewed in the tent on the first night. I woke up to him trying to get out of the tent. He turns and goes "I think I've been sick on your sleeping bag." He was absolutely right.

Third time was for a stag do. An inhuman decision which involved more tents full of vomit.

Never ever again.

Once woke up my sleeping bag soaking wet as my mate had spilt the bucket through the night. It wasn't full of piss before anyone says that. He was that into his weed he took his bucket with him camping :lol:

Eh?! Were you homeless for a while?

I've been camping three times.

The first time was with school: it rained non stop, the river burst its banks and washed the bogs away.

The second time was also with school: my mate spewed in the tent on the first night. I woke up to him trying to get out of the tent. He turns and goes "I think I've been sick on your sleeping bag." He was absolutely right.

Third time was for a stag do. An inhuman decision which involved more tents full of vomit.

Never ever again.

Worked as an instructor for 15 years- I'd average 2-3 nights a week outside/in a tent.

This includes 8 years as a river guide in France, when I'd live under canvas for 6 months.

It's an estimate, but I reckon that adds up to about 6 or more years.

I'll be honest, I preferred bivouacs to camping, as long as your sleeping bag is good quality and dry, it's amazing… and you're not sharing a cloth tube with a vomiting mate ;)

Hmm, last year my mates drove to Seahouses, pitched a tent in a field and got pissed. That stopped being fun to me when I was about 16

Call me a boring bastard but I'd rather book a hotel

room and have a night out in Liverpool/Manchester/Leeds

• Meenzer changed the title to Holidays 2024