Holidays 2024

McFaul

Both islands? We did that last year, the current Mrs PL would go back tomorrow if she could, I'd probably join her once promotion was confirmed [emoji38]

Yeah, a couple of thousand miles or so driving involved, staying in 13 different places.

Unashamedly touristing while we're there, lord of the rings sets, kayaking and so on. Can't wait

Yeah, a couple of thousand miles or so driving involved, staying in 13 different places.

Unashamedly touristing while we're there, lord of the rings sets, kayaking and so on. Can't wait

We went to hobbiton, which I would recommend even if your not a huge fan of the films, gorgeous spot.

We did 3 weeks on each island, which barely offered us the highlights tbh. What are you driving?

We went to hobbiton, which I would recommend even if your not a huge fan of the films, gorgeous spot.

We did 3 weeks on each island, which barely offered us the highlights tbh. What are you driving?

Nothing special sadly, just a hire car big enough for the two of us plus luggage.

If you're going to Wellington and like beer, my mate suggested this;

http://littlebeerquarter.co.nz/

she also said if you like cocktails try https://www.facebook.com/CGRMerchants

Wellington is just about the best drinking city I've ever visited. Not the cheapest but some brilliant bars, this was our favourite

http://www.hashigozake.co.nz/

If you're taking your car on the ferry from Wellington to Picton @@Andrew make sure you take some ginger or kalms or some other travel sickness remedy. The Cook Straight is rough as fuck but it's worth for Marlborough Sound and Picton. Make sure you do the Queen Charlotte drive to Havelock (stop there for mussels) and Nelson. Try the local wine which is excellent and the local Moa beer brewed at Blenheim :good:

Wellington is just about the best drinking city I've ever visited. Not the cheapest but some brilliant bars, this was our favourite

If you're taking your car on the ferry from Wellington to Picton @@Andrew make sure you take some ginger or kalms or some other travel sickness remedy. The Cook Straight is rough as fuck but it's worth for Marlborough Sound and Picton. Make sure you do the Queen Charlotte drive to Havelock (stop there for mussels) and Nelson. Try the local wine which is excellent and the local Moa beer brewed at Blenheim :good:

We are taking the ferry but won't be taking the car, leaving one on the north island and picking up another on the south.

That'll be a tough ride I think, Mrs A is emetophobic so boats are a scary prospect for her at the best of times.

We'll be staying in Blenheim before going to Nelson so looking at the routes that is one of two options, i'll make sure to take the recommended one.

We are taking the ferry but won't be taking the car, leaving one on the north island and picking up another on the south.

That'll be a tough ride I think, Mrs A is emetophobic so boats are a scary prospect for her at the best of times.

We'll be staying in Blenheim before going to Nelson so looking at the routes that is one of two options, i'll make sure to take the recommended one.

Had to google emetoohobic, aye she might struggle :lol:

It's always blowing a gale in Wellington, we arrived for a lunchtime sailing and there wasn't a ferry in sight, the one we were waiting for left Picton at 7am and didn't arrive till 4pm (the crossing isn't more than 3 hours) The weather in the straight was horrendous that morning, to the extent there was an NZ tv crew waiting for it coming in (that shows how fabulously dull NZ is :D) and filled the evening news bulletin with pictures of vomit all over the ship :lol:

Edited by PaddockLad

There's been a show on the BBC the past few weeks. World's Most Amazing Homes or something like that. One of them was in Marlborough Sound and it was unreal. Waking up to that level of peace and tranquility must be something else.

Had to google emetoohobic, aye she might struggle :lol:

It's always blowing a gale in Wellington, we arrived for a lunchtime sailing and there wasn't a ferry in sight, the one we were waiting for left Picton at 7am and didn't arrive till 4pm (the crossing isn't more than 3 hours) The weather in the straight was horrendous that morning, to the extent there was an NZ tv crew waiting for it coming in (that shows how fabulously dull NZ is :D) and filled the evening news bulletin with pictures of vomit all over the ship :lol:

...great :razz:

We'll cope one way or another I'm sure.

There's been a show on the BBC the past few weeks. World's Most Amazing Homes or something like that. One of them was in Marlborough Sound and it was unreal. Waking up to that level of peace and tranquility must be something else.

There's dozens of unbeleiveable houses dotted all over the hills above the sound only accessible by boat or walking track. It's difficult to choose like but it was probably my favourite part, we were supposed to be staying for just a day but we went to Nelson (about 2 hours away) then went back to Picton for another couple of nights and did a cruise up the sound to Ships Bay where Captain Cook (the current Mrs PL is descended from his sister) moored up 7 or 8 times as he'd been "introduced" to the local Maori chiefs daughter :D

Just reminded me of thing I watched with my parents a while ago that may have been that show, could have been Grand Designs Down Under or whatever. There was an older couple, I think she was an artist, anyway they'd had their dream home built and were describing the decking to the presenter when the old bloke said

"Ah I larve to sit here in the morning and watch the bush arand moi dick." :spit:

• 4 weeks later...

I have a week's holiday at the end of March and fancy the Canary Islands. I went to Fuerteventura twenty years but fancy one of the other ones.

Not bothered about nightlife but was wondering if anyone can recommend a nice hotel on or close to a beach - preferably with an indoor pool in case the sea's too nippy.

Outdoor heated pool okay? ;)

I've been to all the islands and ended up going to los christianos or Playa de las America in tenerife most often off season. Been in some 4 star hotels but none with an indoor pool.

Well I went to Ayia Napa in January two years ago and it was nice weather and the sea was OK for 20 minute blasts but the outdoor pool was far too cold. The indoor pool however was great.

Edited by NJS

Well I went to Ayia Napa in January two years ago and it was nice weather and the sea was OK for 20 minute blasts but the outdoor pool was far too cold. The indoor pool however was great.

Yeah, the better hotels will have heated outdoor pools which are fine. I always avoid the sea personally. Also March in the canaries is much warmer than January in Cyprus I'd think. Crucially the days will be a decent length too.

Edited by Renton

Yeah, the better hotels will have heated outdoor pools which are fine. I always avoid the sea personally. Also March in the canaries is much warmer than January in Cyprus I'd think. Crucially the days will be a decent length too.

Yeah it was about 15 on average or a bit more on occasion in Cyprus and it's only a tad higher than that in March but I know the canaries are a bit warmer outside of full summer. I love a sea splodge - S Shields thing probably.

Can't be arsed with long haul at the moment.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Meenzer changed the title to Holidays 2024