Holidays 2024

McFaul

Instead of Gloomy naming them in the country they were conceived, (which is so 2011), he named them after the meal he had the night they conceived. Quinoa is four and helps mummy in the kitchen and Kale is 2 and plays with daddy's segway. Rumours they'll be having a baby brother or sister to play with can't be confirmed but there's a new room being decorated for English-Tapas in 8-9 months time. :good:

• Haha 1

paging our resident lake district experts

anyone got any good recommendations for restaurants around keswick? also decent takeaways? got my old dear's 70th birthday celebration up there comigj up so want to eat out at least once and maybe do a indian or thai or chinese takeaway the other night. she keeps banging on about bringing food and cooking for everyone but i want her to put her feet up and enjoy it. 

@Alex @Renton @Meenzer

6 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

anyone got any good recommendations for restaurants around keswick? also decent takeaways? got my old dear's 70th birthday celebration up there comigj up so want to eat out at least once and maybe do a indian or thai or chinese takeaway the other night. she keeps banging on about bringing food and cooking for everyone but i want her to put her feet up and enjoy it. 

@Alex @Renton @Meenzer

Not really been to Keswick for ages, mate. Sorry

Only place I've eaten in Keswick itself is the aforementioned tapas and craft beer haunt (Bar eS) which, while very decent, probably isn't the place for the occasion. :D There's plenty of nice-looking places in and around the market square but I haven't tried any to recommend.

I’ve been to the pencil museum too.

Hijacking a bit but Ive booked 3 nights in Windermere with our lass, we needed a little break after recent events. Any suggestions welcome

2 minutes ago, strawb said:

Hijacking a bit but Ive booked 3 nights in Windermere with our lass, we needed a little break after recent events. Any suggestions welcome

Cafe Italia is nice

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Meenzer said:

If you've got three nights then Ambleside is nice for a change of scene one night, plenty good eats there too.

Aye, of the larger places in the lakes Ambleside is my favourite. Just a short drive / taxi / bus ride from Windermere too. Although the buses are ridiculously expensive

1 hour ago, Dr Gloom said:

@Alex @Renton @Meenzer

I think there are at least one each of a thai, Chinese, Indian restaurant/takeaway in keswick and from memory all are pretty decent. Also Italian restaurants, pubs, and hotels. Nothing outstanding but nothing too poor either.

Ambleside is a canny drive from keswick, via thrllmere and Grasmere. Grasmere is nicer imo. I'd recommend going to borrowdale though if you want accessible scenery possibly via a frequent bus or ferry. Try the lordor or borrowdale hotels, or cafe at Grange. 

21 minutes ago, Renton said:

I think there are at least one each of a thai, Chinese, Indian restaurant/takeaway in keswick and from memory all are pretty decent. Also Italian restaurants, pubs, and hotels. Nothing outstanding but nothing too poor either.

Ambleside is a canny drive from keswick, via thrllmere and Grasmere. Grasmere is nicer imo. I'd recommend going to borrowdale though if you want accessible scenery possibly via a frequent bus or ferry. Try the lordor or borrowdale hotels, or cafe at Grange. 

The Ambleside recommendations were for Strawb (staying at Windermere) btw. As you say, it's a canny distance from Keswick.

There’s also the possibility that she might want to cook for everyone - Old Dears are weird like that :D

As Renton says, the restaurants are perfectly passsble but nowt special- I’d have a look at some of the hotels, the two he mentions ( The Lodore and The Borrowdale), also try the Mary Mount. 

I spent my wedding night at the Borrowdale, and it was very good, classic Cordon Bleu cooking. 

Went back for our 10th anniversary and it was exactly the same :D  

I've heard all the restaurants around the lakes are shit and you'll all better off taking asdas frozen meals to heat up in the microwave. There is one 'pop-up' van that goes around that sells gourmet burgers in artisan buns called 'Genes protein' but unfortunately the only sauce he uses is his cum. :unsure:

• Haha 3

On 21/08/2018 at 15:48, strawb said:

If you do go to Ambleside then “Lucy’s on a plate” is a really great little restaurant to go to. Can’t recommend it highly enough! 

Or the samling if youre feeling...rich. 

• Meenzer changed the title to Holidays 2024