Holidays 2024

McFaul

13 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

I'm in Keswick for a week at the minute. My mam's got a static caravan at the site right by the lake so we're just borrowing that for a week for a change of scenery. The town is busy but if you're not having to find parking and just dipping in and out when you have to, it's fine. 

Just come back from ours in the borders (Lauder) love it as an escape, nee wifi, just hope Nicola doesn't need to close the border 

31 minutes ago, Alex said:

I’ve had a good laugh camping. Admittedly not with a family, for more than two nights or this side of the millennium. 

Well we’re take the dog, loads of cans and have a fire so we’ll be fine I imagine.

Last time we went as a group we stayed in the grounds of Rydal Hall & it was spot on.

I did end up needing a piss during the night and I was mortal, so couldn’t open the zip of the tent and had to piss in an empty pot noodle.

That tent was borrowed too. 

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, Tom said:

Well we’re take the dog, loads of cans and have a fire so we’ll be fine I imagine.

Last time we went as a group we stayed in the grounds of Rydal Hall & it was spot on.

I did end up needing a piss during the night and I was mortal, so couldn’t open the zip of the tent and had to piss in an empty pot noodle.

That tent was borrowed too. 

An empty pot noodle? If it isn't an empty 2 litre bottle then there's going to be a smelly puddle is all I'm saying. :lol:

• Haha 1

Went camping in the lakes a few times when you used to be able to get the Wright brothers bus to Keswick from the gallowgate bus station. It used to stop at Alston for about 20-30 mins. One time me and me mate went for a swift pint and the driver was in there too :lol: 

• Haha 5

11 minutes ago, Monkeys Fist said:

I used that bus loads of times to get over there for climbing. 

Seats were made of concrete and hatred if I remember rightly. :lol:

Aye, they were old fashioned coaches without bogs. Including the stop it took about 4 hours (or felt like it). Nee idea why they went that route and stopped at Alston / Royston Vasey as no new passengers ever seemed to get on or off there (bar stretching their legs / joining the driver for a pint). Fucking mental that they got rid of the railway to Keswick (and almost all of the lakes) when you think about it. 

Edited by Alex
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Alex said:

Went camping in the lakes a few times when you used to be able to get the Wright brothers bus to Keswick from the gallowgate bus station. It used to stop at Alston for about 20-30 mins. One time me and me mate went for a swift pint and the driver was in there too :lol: 

class :lol:

28 minutes ago, Howmanheyman said:

An empty pot noodle? If it isn't an empty 2 litre bottle then there's going to be a smelly puddle is all I'm saying. :lol:

I’m not saying it was a perfect operation. :lol: 

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Alex said:

Fucking mental that they got rid of the railway to Keswick (and almost all of the lakes) when you think about it. 

As it happens, I've just been looking at the practicalities of a day trip on public transport in case the weather's decent enough when I'm (hopefully) up visiting my folks next month. Even with the 7:25 train from Newcastle you're looking at the best part of midday before you're in the heart of Borrowdale, say. And it'd probably cost more than getting insured on their car for the week anyway. :lol: 

I used to use those buses too. Although they left from Marlborough crescent, not Gallowgate iirc. ;)

When I was 14 me and 3 friends walked most the lakes and camped for a.whole week. Cant see that happening now. Not sure I even had pubes. Also I had a really bad limp because I was recuperating from a bad break in my leg and I actually developed a stress fracture in my foot and got pneumonia after 3 days constant rain.

Ahh, the good old days.  

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Meenzer said:

As it happens, I've just been looking at the practicalities of a day trip on public transport in case the weather's decent enough when I'm (hopefully) up visiting my folks next month. Even with the 7:25 train from Newcastle you're looking at the best part of midday before you're in the heart of Borrowdale, say. And it'd probably cost more than getting insured on their car for the week anyway. :lol: 

It’s crazy isn’t it? There’s been some talk about putting some of the network back in but I read it’s tens of millions of pounds per mile

31 minutes ago, Alex said:

I used to get the bus from Dublin to Wexford & whilst the buses had toilets on them but you weren’t actually allowed to use them.

First time I made that mistake I was 18 and thought I was clever having a few jars before getting on the bus. 

1 minute ago, Renton said:

I used to use those buses too. Although they left from Marlborough crescent, not Gallowgate iirc. ;)

When I was 14 me and 3 friends walked most the lakes and camped for a.whole week. Cant see that happening now. Not sure I even had pubes. Also I had a really bad limp because I was recuperating from a bad break in my leg and I actually developed a stress fracture in my foot and got pneumonia after 3 days constant rain.

Ahh, the good old days.  

Tbf it might well have been Marlborough Crescent. I certainly couldn’t swear otherwise. Gallowgate was national express so you’re probably right 

16 minutes ago, Alex said:

I’m sure that top bus is the one they used :lol:

( also, there’s why they used the Alston route- homebase). 

The Seagull is right, btw, it was Marlborough Crescent that they left from, proper classy end of town at the time :lol:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Toonpack said:

Just come back from ours in the borders (Lauder) love it as an escape, nee wifi, just hope Nicola doesn't need to close the border 

Lauder? Hearts fan? You’re former jambo manager Jim Jeffries and I will claim my £5 :D

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Renton said:

Ahh, the good old days.  

so, not much has changed since then :lol:

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Tom said:

I used to get the bus from Dublin to Wexford & whilst the buses had toilets on them but you weren’t actually allowed to use them.

First time I made that mistake I was 18 and thought I was clever having a few jars before getting on the bus. 

pot noodle tub to the rescue? 

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, PaddockLad said:

Lauder? Hearts fan? You’re former jambo manager Jim Jeffries and I will claim my £5 :D

He does live in Lauder evidently, not seen him around though. 

Supposedly Prince Charles is pals with the Duke and been told don’t be surprised if you see him and Camilla (haven’t yet)

Edit: he's an Earl evidently not a Duke, no idea what that means in real terms other than he's still a rich silver spooned toff.

Edited by Toonpack

• Meenzer changed the title to Holidays 2024