Holidays 2024

McFaul

I've got a camper booked in Cornwall for a week next summer. Any tips on where I should be looking at campsites? Never been there

Is it worth staying in the same place for the week and driving about, or should I be booking into 2 or 3 different sites?

Edited by Kid Dynamite

42 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

I've got a camper booked in Cornwall for a week next summer. Any tips on where I should be looking at campsites? Never been there

Is it worth staying in the same place for the week and driving about, or should I be booking into 2 or 3 different sites?

You can get around easy enough from one place. Padstow is really nice but will be popular, St Ives is class but will be insanely popular, I'm pretty sure Falmouth is nice but I've never stayed there. I would say anywhere around the Rock/Padstow area (or a bit further down the North Coast from there) will give you loads of nice coastline to visit and you can get to everywhere without any ridiculous drives. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

couple of favourites of mine, both on the south coast...

http://www.greatkellowfarm.co.uk

on a hill (a bloody steep one if you've had a few!) above the fishing village of polperro which is very quaint and cornish with some cracking little bars. the first one you'll come to at the bottom of the hill from the campsite (forget its name) serves good food. the coastal walk from polperro to fowey is the longest six and a half miles you'll ever walk in your life, beautiful... but get the bus back!

and going further west (you've got a van, you should use it!) probably my favourite of the two...

https://prussiacove.co.uk/camping/

another lovely little site with a couple of gorgeous secluded little coves, prussia and bessys. again the coast walk is stunning, this time towards marazion and st michaels mount and a stop off at the victoria inn at perranuthnoe en route!

:)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, thebrokendoll said:

:)

my mrs is cornish, she'd have us emmits at neither! 

I thought we were grockles?

I've never been, reasons being the distance and I dunno, it just looks crowded. For those who've done both, how does it rate to west coast of Scotland? Obviously it wins hands down on weather and midges like. 

Doesn’t even compare to the West Highlands mate. 
Although it’s a beautiful area, it’s hugely overrun by tourists in summer. 

As mentioned, if you can decipher the mumbling that the locals use to communicate, you’ll realise they fucking despise you and want you to fuck off :lol:

( I spent six months there in my youth working near Tintagel and Boscastle). 

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, Renton said:

I thought we were grockles?

I've never been, reasons being the distance and I dunno, it just looks crowded. For those who've done both, how does it rate to west coast of Scotland? Obviously it wins hands down on weather and midges like. 

i think grockle is more a devon thing, means the same though, a derogatory term for tourists or people who buy up second homes etc.

i'd opt for the west coast of scotland (he says with reasonable confidence the mrs will never read this!), but only just.

5 minutes ago, Monkeys Fist said:

Doesn’t even compare to the West Highlands mate. 
Although it’s a beautiful area, it’s hugely overrun by tourists in summer. 

As mentioned, if you can decipher the mumbling that the locals use to communicate, you’ll realise they fucking despise you and want you to fuck off :lol:

( I spent six months there in my youth working near Tintagel and Boscastle). 

i'd rather square up to half a dozen drunken yokels from redruth than a swarm of midges from argyll and bute!

• Haha 3

On 03/10/2020 at 11:47, Monkeys Fist said:

:lol:

@Kid Dynamite, I can only speak for the North Cornwall coast, but from Padstow up to Hartland Quay is a beautiful bit of coast. 

I’ve no-idea if it’s as overrun as the south coast in summer, but it probably is. :lol:

This  https://www.davidrumsey.com/luna/servlet/detail/RUMSEY~8~1~268638~90042895:Esso-Pictorial-Plan-of-the-West-Cou was moved around our 2 family homes for at least 45 years...it’s got lbits of verse & doggrel all around it like the one below..

We stayed at St Coulomb (was this near where @The Fish stayed? If so we successfully avoided him :good: ) at the start of September which is about 10/15 mins inland from Newquay in an Air B & B.  Great location, basically in the middle of everywhere. Hiked out to Polly Joke beach where the sea when the tide is out is about a mile from the Coastal Path. Went to Fowey caught the ferry to Mevagissey, saw porpoise & dolphins going out & coming back, then got mildly pissed at lunchtime at the 14th century Fountain Inn.  Cornwall, even when mobbed with tourists, is fabulous.  Went to Hartland about a decade ago, another brilliant walk/beach/lighthouse.... I like.a lighthouse 🤓

E9C1CACE-1349-43C0-B8C8-29B2384762A2.jpeg

Edited by PaddockLad
  • Haha 2

38 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

This  https://www.davidrumsey.com/luna/servlet/detail/RUMSEY~8~1~268638~90042895:Esso-Pictorial-Plan-of-the-West-Cou was moved around our 2 family homes for at least 45 years...it’s got lbits of verse & doggrel all around it like the one below..

We stayed at St Coulomb (was this near where @The Fish stayed? If so we successfully avoided him :good: ) at the start of September which is about 10/15 mins inland from Newquay in an Air B & B.  Great location, basically in the middle of everywhere. Hiked out to Polly Joke beach where the sea when the tide is out is about a mile from the Coastal Path. Went to Fowey caught the ferry to Mevagissey, saw porpoise & dolphins going out & coming back, then got mildly pissed at lunchtime at the 14th century Fountain Inn.  Cornwall, even when mobbed with tourists, is fabulous.  Went to Hartland about a decade ago, another brilliant walk/beach/lighthouse.... I like.a lighthouse 🤓

E9C1CACE-1349-43C0-B8C8-29B2384762A2.jpeg

:lol:

(Poor old fish). 

Edited by Howmanheyman
  • Haha 1

On 10/3/2020 at 08:15, Kid Dynamite said:

As others have said, Padstow, St Ives, Truro, Falmouth...

There's a place near Portscatho called "The Hidden Hut". Literally a hut on the cliff-top selling unbelievable food. The Beach Hut at Watergate Bay is good as well. Avoid King Harry's Ferry if you can.

Rick Stein's place in Padstow is decent, but not worth the cost, or the queue. £45 for two Fish and Chips and a kids meal. I've had equally good fish and better chips in Tynemouth.

Loads to see, we stayed there a week and barely scratched the surface.

• Like 1

• Meenzer changed the title to Holidays 2024