Holidays 2024

McFaul

• 2 months later...

With the vaccine imminent booked our holidays for next year. Lake Garda. Gone up quite a lot. But now we're out of the EU we have to pay a 4 euro tourist tax upfront, each, instead of 1 euro. So that's 120 euros lost directly because of Brexit. And then of course I have to buy private travel insurance. Cheers Brexiteers. You cunts. 

• Haha 1

I want to go to Cyprus for the last week in March but I'll wait until I'm vaccinated before booking it - I'm tier 6 or 8  so might be pushing it but if I'm done by the start of March I'll go for it.

(EU restrictions allowing).

• Meenzer changed the title to Holidays 2021 (lol)
  • 1 month later...

I've got a week booked in the North York Moors in July and we'll get some time at my mam's caravan in Keswick at some point. Not taking the risk on anything overseas, gonna get some stuff done around the house instead. 

Ages ago I rebooked last summer's Dutch weekender ( :naughty: ) for late June this year, but that's looking fairly likely to be postponed again, aye. Reckon it'll just have to be a bit of Scotland and THE NORTH this summer either side of the school holidays, which obviously I'll be spending at home because I value my sanity.

We had 9 days in Portugal booked for July, that's gone. We had a long weekend in St Andrew's booked in May, that might go ahead. We have 3 days in Dundee booked in July (My boy is on an Ice Hockey camp which is why), I bet they let us take that fooker. We do have a week in Gran Canaria booked in October and hopefully we get that one.

Friends daughter getting married in Kalkan Turkey in September, in a way hoping it gets covid-canned so will get money back, place we're going is where we holidayed for years with these friends and Dan and daughter in law, will be all too Dan to be a "happy" time so doubt we'll even go now anyway. (not comfortable travelling/flying there even without the other considerations)

Otherwise our caravan in the borders at every opportunity.

Edited by Toonpack
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Booked a week in Portugal for the middle of July. Hopefully by then there will be a vaccine passport in place as I’ve managed to avoid a covid test up until now and really don’t fancy it.

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

just finished planning a van trip. headed for lake vyrnwy in wales for a night on 23rd july then booked on the zip wire thing in snowdonia on the 24th. heading to an old wild camping haunt near troutbeck the next and then off to midge land in the trossachs for a couple of nights before catching a ferry from kennacraig to islay and jura and hopefully puggying a sea eagles nest. (joking!) back to the mainland for a couple of nights wilding near ardfern and then a bit undecided as to boulmer/alnmouth or carrying on down the east coast to revisit the gannet colony at bempton. a night or two near edale in the peak district and then finishing off in the brecons.

probably deeply offended the poor lass at calmac ferries in the process by horribly mispronouncing 'islay', so is it?

is lay?

eye la?

eye lay?

:)

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, thebrokendoll said:

just finished planning a van trip. headed for lake vyrnwy in wales for a night on 23rd july then booked on the zip wire thing in snowdonia on the 24th. heading to an old wild camping haunt near troutbeck the next and then off to midge land in the trossachs for a couple of nights before catching a ferry from kennacraig to islay and jura and hopefully puggying a sea eagles nest. (joking!) back to the mainland for a couple of nights wilding near ardfern and then a bit undecided as to boulmer/alnmouth or carrying on down the east coast to revisit the gannet colony at bempton. a night or two near edale in the peak district and then finishing off in the brecons.

probably deeply offended the poor lass at calmac ferries in the process by horribly mispronouncing 'islay', so is it?

is lay?

eye la?

eye lay?

:)

I got away with the bottom one when I visited, no idea if it’s correct. It’s gorgeous up there like 

• Like 1

It’s eye-la, isn’t it? Have a Lagavulin or 12 for me while you’re there. Saw a few sea eagles plus one golden eagle on holiday on the Isle of Mull a few years back. Not to mention a minke whale, a herd of red deer and a sea otter. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Meenzer said:

Very curious to know how you mangled 'vyrnwy' now

vern-we

to be honest I've been there before and just avoided mentioning it at all, particularly to the welsh. however after hearing ellie harrison pronounce it as above on countryfile I'm confident that must be right. little ellie can do no wrong in my eyes.

as regards islay...

I hedged me bets and called it all 3 in me conversation. by the time I'd finished booking the ferry I'm still undecided as to whether the lass on the phone was filled with deep pity or hatred for me!  :)

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Alex said:

It’s eye-la, isn’t it? Have a Lagavulin or 12 for me while you’re there. Saw a few sea eagles plus one golden eagle on holiday on the Isle of Mull a few years back. Not to mention a minke whale, a herd of red deer and a sea otter. 

Grizzly fucking Addams here :lol:

• Haha 1

:razz: I was there a week and I think I got fairly lucky like but it’s supposed to be one of best places in Europe fir spotting eagles I think. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Meenzer changed the title to Holidays 2024