Holidays 2024

McFaul

Is “Geordie Ruviera” as bad as “English Tapas”? Overheard some daft twat utter that particular parcel of fuckin shite in the pub earlier….anyway, Alnmouth is utterly glorious as usual….

634209F9-FDD7-4747-9DAF-8BD5B355BFA9.jpeg

Edited by PaddockLad
  • Haha 4

• 3 weeks later...

Just booked two weeks in Paphos, Cyprus for October half term. Cannot bastard wait. First trip abroad in over two years. Cyprus wouldn’t be my first choice destination in normal times but it’s one of the few European spots warm enough to do the pool holiday at that time of the year, which the kids are absolutely desperate for. Anyone been, or got any tips? 

11 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

Just booked two weeks in Paphos, Cyprus for October half term. Cannot bastard wait. First trip abroad in over two years. Cyprus wouldn’t be my first choice destination in normal times but it’s one of the few European spots warm enough to do the pool holiday at that time of the year, which the kids are absolutely desperate for. Anyone been, or got any tips? 

I'm going to Ayia Napa on the 21st for 17 days. 

Haven't been to Paphos since 86 but I imagine it's expanded a lot since then - back then it was definitely more for couples than elsewhere but I honestly don't know now. 

2 hours ago, Dr Gloom said:

The Roman mosaics on the headland are worth a look. The necropolis rather ambitiously titled the ‘tombs of the kings’ is good too. If that’s your cup of char. The Troodos Mountains are worth seeing if you hire a car. Paphos is quite British but more like f a family place. Beaches round there are nowt to write home about but there’s a canny chance you’ll still get decent weather. What’s described as Paphos is pretty sprawling so you could be well outside the town itself but there’s loads of taxis which are pretty cheap. Just don’t be alarmed if they pull over to let some more passengers in half way through your journey. It’s common practice but I was  wtfs gannin on here like? The first time it happened. The couple the taxi picked nearly shit themselves too when they got in 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NJS said:

I'm going to Ayia Napa on the 21st for 17 days. 

Haven't been to Paphos since 86 but I imagine it's expanded a lot since then - back then it was definitely more for couples than elsewhere but I honestly don't know now. 

Garage fan?

https://7stgeorges.com/

This place is great @Dr Gloom

Can't remember who told me about it - might even have been someone on here - but its a lush family run restaurant where they grow all their own produce. 

The way it worked when I was there is that you pay a fixed price and they just keep bringing you lush dishes until you tell them to stop. You get a mini speech on arrival where they'll just ask you to please not waste food, ie when you're full, say stop. 

Anyway, it'll likely be a taxi ride from wherever you're staying, but it's worth it. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Alex said:

The Roman mosaics on the headland are worth a look. The necropolis rather ambitiously titled the ‘tombs of the kings’ is good too. If that’s your cup of char. The Troodos Mountains are worth seeing if you hire a car. Paphos is quite British but more like f a family place. Beaches round there are nowt to write home about but there’s a canny chance you’ll still get decent weather. What’s described as Paphos is pretty sprawling so you could be well outside the town itself but there’s loads of taxis which are pretty cheap. Just don’t be alarmed if they pull over to let some more passengers in half way through your journey. It’s common practice but I was  wtfs gannin on here like? The first time it happened. The couple the taxi picked nearly shit themselves too when they got in 

Nice one. No fucker is going to get in a cab with us either. It’s like a zoo with our kids. 

I was wondering if it was worth getting a car. I’m quite happy to spend most of the fortnight lounging by the pool, drinking and reading but the Mrs gets restless if she doesn’t have enough to keep her busy. Sounds like there’s some archeological points of interest so might opt for a motor. 

I’ve got a bit of negative picture in my head about Cyprus for some reason. I don’t know why, I’ve never been there. I’m not expecting much beyond the reliable weather compared to the rest of Europe at that time of year.  From the little research I did do, it sounded like Paphos was one of the more attractive resorts with a bit of history about it. I dunno how well you know the island but does that sound about right to you?

16 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

Garage fan?

Not at all - 3 or 4 excellent holidays in the late 80s/early 90s then I went back 8 years ago just to see how it had changed. 

Now I like to go in October as its not as scorchio as the summer and its good for amateurish old git cycling as well as plenty of good restaurants and bars. I stay in slightly better standard of hotels these days compared to the first few times around. 

As Alex says the Troodos are worth a visit. One thing worth mentioning is that EU money has built a few motorways which means it's very easy to see the entire island but having said that the old roads are a much more pleasant drive if you enjoy stopping off and more scenery. 

Two years ago it was above 25 nearly every day with a couple of days a bit over 30 - the sea is very swimmable as well. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

Nice one. No fucker is going to get in a cab with us either. It’s like a zoo with our kids. 

I was wondering if it was worth getting a car. I’m quite happy to spend most of the fortnight lounging by the pool, drinking and reading but the Mrs gets restless if she doesn’t have enough to keep her busy. Sounds like there’s some archeological points of interest so might opt for a motor. 

I’ve got a bit of negative picture in my head about Cyprus for some reason. I don’t know why, I’ve never been there. I’m not expecting much beyond the reliable weather compared to the rest of Europe at that time of year.  From the little research I did do, it sounded like Paphos was one of the more attractive resorts with a bit of history about it. I dunno how well you know the island but does that sound about right to you?

Definitely get a car it'll make your stay there so much better, piece of piss getting around and not much stress and breaks up sitting around the pool etc, we've always went to Peyia/Coral bay area and usually pop into Paphos a couple of times, (it's 20 mins drive away). A drive slightly out of your way will get you to somewhere serving some decent bait and a more authentic atmosphere, there was a place near Aphrodite's sanctuary/museum that was simple but superb. We're trying to get back to Cyprus next year.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gemmill said:

https://7stgeorges.com/

This place is great @Dr Gloom

Can't remember who told me about it - might even have been someone on here - but its a lush family run restaurant where they grow all their own produce. 

The way it worked when I was there is that you pay a fixed price and they just keep bringing you lush dishes until you tell them to stop. You get a mini speech on arrival where they'll just ask you to please not waste food, ie when you're full, say stop. 

Anyway, it'll likely be a taxi ride from wherever you're staying, but it's worth it. 

Somebody hide this post from CT. 

YRJSRV.gif

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Howmanheyman said:

Definitely get a car it'll make your stay there so much better, piece of piss getting around and not much stress and breaks up sitting around the pool etc, we've always went to Peyia/Coral bay area and usually pop into Paphos a couple of times, (it's 20 mins drive away). A drive slightly out of your way will get you to somewhere serving some decent bait and a more authentic atmosphere, there was a place near Aphrodite's sanctuary/museum that was simple but superb. We're trying to get back to Cyprus next year.

Cheers mate!

On 28/09/2021 at 21:10, Howmanheyman said:

We in the centre of us paphos for the first week but just switched our second week to stay up at coral bay. Sounds like it has one of the nicest beaches in the area. Going to book a car too. 👍🏼

Edited by Dr Gloom
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone got some decent food recommendations for Edinburgh? Preferably not one of the upmarket gaffs, just good scran. We're booked in for Topolobamba on Wednesday night and she's put the kibosh on Dishoom because she's not too keen on Indian (racist). Ideally, a decent Italian or Greek place would be the one but there's that many, I can't pick.

My Edinburgh food tips are Bodega, Lucky Yu, and Wings, none of which are Italian or Greek. :D They're good though. I'll ask the mate who took me there if he knows any good stuff in those categories for you.

There's loads of decent scran down in Leith these days too (that's where said mate lives now), we had some outrageously good bao buns and sides at Bundits the other weekend. Bit of a schlep if you're not down that way generally though.

Greek and Italian isn't set in stone, I'm just trying to give wor lass something she'll actually like since she's being about as helpful as usual i.e. not at all. I'll check all of those out and see which ones she expects me to read her mind about.

As for Leith, that wasn't in the plan but just been looking there and it seems like her sort of scene so I'll expand the search into there. Cheers, chaps.

• Haha 1

He reckons Vittoria's is "the standard Italian. They're all good and there's 3 of them in Edinburgh."

Also suggests Kezban in Leith - Turkish not Greek, but let's be honest, it's all the same really 💀 - or this place for a bit more of a punt while still falling within the "Italian" brief: https://wineandpeach.com/

• Meenzer changed the title to Holidays 2024