Holidays 2024

McFaul

41 minutes ago, Alex said:

:lol: What the actual fuck? Queuing to get into a shop that sells something you can buy at a petrol station 

Shhh, it keeps all the dithering, dawdling fools away from the better places.

1 hour ago, Alex said:

:lol: What the actual fuck? Queuing to get into a shop that sells something you can buy at a petrol station 

:lol:

At least in NYC it's arguably a "local" confectionery. In London it should be the Smarties shop at the very least. 

• Haha 2

31 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Shhh, it keeps all the dithering, dawdling fools away from the better places.

Well I'm all ears what better place would placate my 9 year old. Some hidden gem selling English tapas and Chardonnay with frozen grapes in it?

Every time a local suggests somewhere off the beaten track you end up somewhere just as shit as at home. Better than a fuckin M&M superstore though obviously.

Just now, Renton said:

Well I'm all ears what better place would placate my 9 year old. Some hidden gem selling English tapas and Chardonnay with frozen grapes in it?

Every time a local suggests somewhere off the beaten track you end up somewhere just as shit as at home. Better than a fuckin M&M superstore though obviously.

I don't know what your 9yr old is into, so I can't really make a suggestion. But my point wasn't that you shouldn't take them. It was that you absolutely should take them there, so that you're not clogging up the good bits for the rest of us.

2 minutes ago, Renton said:

:lol:

Behave.

You, doddering around the big smoke, crowded by a group confused Japanese tourists insisting on a selfie with Gordon Wamsey-san, slowing you down even more.

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, PaddockLad said:

We went to Rhodes Town for the day when we were in Lindos… the locals there reckon Lindos is too hot for them  :lol:

Rhodes town is lush for a day out. We did Lindos 3 years on the bounce with the whole family and stopped here

https://www.bluemarelindos.com

They advertise it at mental prices but I'm sure we paid something like €3000 for 10 days for the 9 of us 

• 2 months later...
  • Meenzer changed the title to Holidays 2023

When we played 1860 Munich a few years ago I had a plan to fly to Salzburg with Ryan Air and then get the train. I think it was going to be about £60 all in return but then something came up at work and I couldn't go. 

Germany are also rolling out a €49 monthly ticket that will cover all regional (i.e. commuter/stopper but not intercity/high-speed) trains as well as all buses, trams, underground etc. throughout the entire country.

For comparison, a four-week all zones ticket on the Metro will set you back almost twice that. :lol: 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

Heading to Munich for a week in April to go to

their Spring Fest and decided to look into getting the train into Salzburg for a day. I was expecting it to be pricey but it’s only 15 quid :lol: I can’t even get home from town for that. What a country 

Two countries. What a two countries. 

5 minutes ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

I understand it’s a different country, shit lips! I’m giving the credit to the Germans in this situation

You probably give Germany the credit for Hitler too, don't you? 

• 1 month later...

Who here has been to Loch Lomond? I’ve never been to the Scottish highlands. I know it’s not proper highlands but is it worth a visit? It’s not quite as intimidating a drive from London as some other places we’ve looked at. Or is it half arsed and should we go further  north?

@Renton @Alex @Kid Dynamite I seem to remember you guys have some useful tips in this neck of the world.

also, thinking of going in April. Are the midges tolerable at that time of year?

42 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

Who here has been to Loch Lomond? I’ve never been to the Scottish highlands. I know it’s not proper highlands but is it worth a visit? It’s not quite as intimidating a drive from London as some other places we’ve looked at. Or is it half arsed and should we go further  north?

@Renton @Alex @Kid Dynamite I seem to remember you guys have some useful tips in this neck of the world.

also, thinking of going in April. Are the midges tolerable at that time of year?

I’ve been to Loch Lomond for a wedding once. It is beautiful though. I’ve mainly done further North and sone of the islands. You’ve got the Trossacks there too which I’ve really seen from the air properly but are very scenic. I’ve skirted past there normally. It’s mad how in that part of world how quickly you’re into the Highlands though

• Like 2

Jumping in here but lived in Scotland for 5 years. Best flying to Glasgow and hiring a car to drive there, but I hate driving and couldn’t be fucked with that with kids in the car.

Its lovely round there tbh some nice walks and if you fancy a little town then go to Dunoon. The jocks will probably disagree but i liked it when I went 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Dr Gloom said:

Confirm what others have said.  Is lovely there, but can't remember about the midges.  However, it was probably 30 years ago, so can't remember where we stayed.  I seem to remember it was a nice country house hotel close to the Loch, though.  Not sure that helps. :smile:

• Like 1

So let’s say I drive all the way up to Loch Lomond. (Was planning to stop at York and at my mothers place in the north east on the way), is the consensus that I should keep on going up to the highlands? If I’ve gone that far am I selling myself short stopping at Loch Lomond before coming home?

Wondering whether it’s worth going on to Ben Nevis or somewhere around that area

23 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

So let’s say I drive all the way up to Loch Lomond. (Was planning to stop at York and at my mothers place in the north east on the way), is the consensus that I should keep on going up to the highlands? If I’ve gone that far am I selling myself short stopping at Loch Lomond before coming home?

Wondering whether it’s worth going on to Ben Nevis or somewhere around that area

I mean you are in the highlands there. It’s where they start. What you need to consider is how long it actually takes to get to places when you’re up there. The distances are (obviously) a factor but it’ll take you longer to drive than you think on top of that. In remote parts you’re talking single track roads with passing places. I’m not trying to put you off because it can be incredibly beautiful. But consider that in any itinerary. E.g. Highland Perthshire,(which is relatively close / good roads compared to somewhere like the western isles) is still a 4 hour+ drive from Newcastle. 

Edited by Alex
  • Like 2

• Meenzer changed the title to Holidays 2024