Holidays 2024

McFaul

5 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

What a place Boston is man. Stunning architecture and such a cool vibe. 

I went in 1996, fucking 26 years ago now, Jesus Christ. Anyhow I liked it the most of the US studies I've visited I think, as you say interesting architecture (mix of old and new) and relaxed people. Obviously studenty with Harvard and other Ivy league universities in the vicinity. Felt fairly European and it struck me the fact I prefer "European" US cities probably meant I didn't really like the US, if that makes sense. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Had a fucking wicked time in Boston and then drive up to Burlington and Vermont.  Then on the flight back decided I was going to create drama and have a fucking seizure FFS.

I felt tired a lot of the holiday and I thought I may have the 'vid.  Tested a couple of times both negative.  There was a slight delay on the way back and I think the stress combined with jet leg just took its toll on me.  My wife and I had a bit of a battle with the pilot and head steward to make them carry on the journey and not land in Canada.  Thankfully it was a mild seizure and they agreed.  Wiped me out though for the whole day and combined with jet lag screwed me.

I have had to revoke my license now until I see my consultant.  Thankfully my wifes work covers me medically and I have an appointment on Monday so fingers crossed.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, wykikitoon said:

Had a fucking wicked time in Boston and then drive up to Burlington and Vermont.  Then on the flight back decided I was going to create drama and have a fucking seizure FFS.

I felt tired a lot of the holiday and I thought I may have the 'vid.  Tested a couple of times both negative.  There was a slight delay on the way back and I think the stress combined with jet leg just took its toll on me.  My wife and I had a bit of a battle with the pilot and head steward to make them carry on the journey and not land in Canada.  Thankfully it was a mild seizure and they agreed.  Wiped me out though for the whole day and combined with jet lag screwed me.

I have had to revoke my license now until I see my consultant.  Thankfully my wifes work covers me medically and I have an appointment on Monday so fingers crossed.

jeez, sorry to hear about this mate. Do you have a history of this sort of thing, or was it the first time? Pretty unfortunate timing - glad to hear you made it back okay!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, wykikitoon said:

Hope you're ok, Wykiki, the missus has had a bit bother with this in the past. :good:

• Like 1

Cheers Lads

Aye I am epileptic from birth.  Its only really brought on by stress and tiredness really.  I am on meds. Try and limit my alcohol intake and late nights, but as I enjoy wearing lycra and bumming thats easy as I am usually up early to ride.  I have been fine for years.  I was conscious during this one as it was an absence seizure so hopefully it's not a revoke, or it will be a 6 months at most.  Which is easy tbh as I don't drive that much.

• Like 8

2 hours ago, wykikitoon said:

Cheers Lads

Aye I am epileptic from birth.  Its only really brought on by stress and tiredness really.  I am on meds. Try and limit my alcohol intake and late nights, but as I enjoy wearing lycra and bumming thats easy as I am usually up early to ride.  I have been fine for years.  I was conscious during this one as it was an absence seizure so hopefully it's not a revoke, or it will be a 6 months at most.  Which is easy tbh as I don't drive that much.

My older cousin's man is the same (dunno about the lycra and bumming but wouldn't be massively surprised). Worked for him briefly years ago, before I really understood the link between stress triggering seizures and still feel like I massively let him down on a few occasions by not noticing the early signs on some really hectic days where he ended up unconscious and on his own. 

Glad you're well though man. Hope I'm not out of line asking if it bothers you that folk check in on you more than usual because they're worried about your epilepsy?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Blastronaut said:

My older cousin's man is the same (dunno about the lycra and bumming but wouldn't be massively surprised). Worked for him briefly years ago, before I really understood the link between stress triggering seizures and still feel like I massively let him down on a few occasions by not noticing the early signs on some really hectic days where he ended up unconscious and on his own. 

Glad you're well though man. Hope I'm not out of line asking if it bothers you that folk check in on you more than usual because they're worried about your epilepsy?

My wife checks a lot. If I'm having a shit and reading the news on my phone or here I usually take my time and go quiet and she will start shouting if I'm OK. At first it annoyed me but now it just washes over me. I'd rather have that than the opposite. 

With me I think it's a certain type of stress and lack of quality sleep. I can have mad days at work and it's no problem as I am usually in bed before 10:30 pm. If I don't get decent rest it just piles up. That's what I think happened here. Flight delay than about 2h sleep then a long day flight with 17h no sleep then shite sleep for days as we were moving hotels and trying to get stuff in. Then delay coming back and no sleep and jet leg and time changes etc. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wykikitoon said:

My wife checks a lot. If I'm having a shit and reading the news on my phone or here I usually take my time and go quiet and she will start shouting if I'm OK. At first it annoyed me but now it just washes over me. I'd rather have that than the opposite. 

With me I think it's a certain type of stress and lack of quality sleep. I can have mad days at work and it's no problem as I am usually in bed before 10:30 pm. If I don't get decent rest it just piles up. That's what I think happened here. Flight delay than about 2h sleep then a long day flight with 17h no sleep then shite sleep for days as we were moving hotels and trying to get stuff in. Then delay coming back and no sleep and jet leg and time changes etc. 

Sounds like you have a good wife to keep you on track there. Trouble is with stress is when it causes problems like this that can trigger more stress in a vicious cycle. Hope you get back to normal asap, take time off if you need to. 

• Like 1

Seen the consultant today.   He seems happy it was a one off due to stress of travelling and lack of sleep.  However he wants me to keep my license revoked for 3 months.  If I am ok after that I can re-apply for it and should have no bother getting it back.  Change in meds so all good.

Felt absolutely fine after a few nights of decent kip and looking forward to going back to graft tomorrow. 

• Like 12

• 2 weeks later...

Arrived in Cyprus yesterday for my annual quite warm but not too hot, me being a soft old shite holiday. 

Civilised border policy - no passport apartheid letting me with my shiny new black (not dark blue, no fucking way) UK one use the EU lines. 

They're probably less stressed without plane loads of Russians arriving. 

Bloke at the hotel reckons they've been as full as usual as the numbers have been made up by more Scandavians than usual for some reason. 

I’m on a nice weekend break in Dublin with a friend from uni who I haven’t seen in about seven years. We sit down and the first thing he mentions is that he has been arrested twice in the last three years for threatening to kill Boris Johnson and other public figures. He reckons 9/11 was done by the British, he knows who killed Princess Diana and has various other theories.

I’m sharing a room with him until Sunday and I’m a bit scared at this point.

• Haha 9

• Meenzer changed the title to Holidays 2024