Holidays 2024

McFaul

Just remembered there was a Mexican restaurant called Senor Zorbas there with unbelievable views and probably the best selection of tequila I’ve ever seen 

Wyki, if you fancy something a little bit off the beaten track there’s definitely a different vibe on Greek islands without an airport. Just that bit quieter / laidback. Or after the day trippers leave anyway. Paxos is lush and fairly easy to get to (short flight to corfu, then an hour by catamaran). Although the Greeks don’t get the Brit/German/Scandi obsession with the islands and reckon the Peloponnese is just as nice 

1 hour ago, Alex said:

There’s about 4 cruise ships per day that go there in the summer 

Aye she mentioned the cruise ships. Basically said everywhere they went was completely overrun. We've always talked about going, but we should have gone when there was 6bn people on the planet, not 8. Too late now, barring a fresh pandemic. 

31 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Aye she mentioned the cruise ships. Basically said everywhere they went was completely overrun. We've always talked about going, but we should have gone when there was 6bn people on the planet, not 8. Too late now, barring a fresh pandemic. 

Had a week there, albeit about 12 years ago but went last week of the season (in terms of most chartered flights) ie end September/beginning of October. It was quite quiet. Because of where it is you’re still likely to get nice hot and settled weather then. It’s actually pleasant the days being relatively short as well 

Edited by Alex

Thanks for the feedback.  It's still up in the air atm.  I have emailed hotels and asked em when ewerk books and requested the adjacent room :lol:

We fancy Greece and this has always looked beautiful.  But not set in stone where we go yet like.

• Haha 2

35 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

Thanks for the feedback.  It's still up in the air atm.  I have emailed hotels and asked em when ewerk books and requested the adjacent room :lol:

We fancy Greece and this has always looked beautiful.  But not set in stone where we go yet like.

Just watch Mama Mia and get a takeaway. Save you a fortune :lol: 

• Haha 5

Kefalonia is another beautiful Greek island to consider. Crete too has some hidden gems if you look past the usual touristy resorts. We stayed in a lush villa up near the white mountains there one year with a pool looking on to the calm sea below. Idyllic, great food and really good value. Or at least it was a decade ago when the pound was still worth something  

• Like 1

Had a long weekend in London with the family. Nothing too crazy, but reckon all in its cost more than a grand which is depressing. This is for standard class trains booked in advance, a Premier Inn in the city, a west end show in cheap seats (Frozen), visit to Kew Gardens and British Science museum, and one "posh" meal at 22 Fenchurch Street (Sky Garden bistro). 

I mean it's been good if bit knackering but surely these types of breaks are now becoming out of reach for many of us when you have to contend with stagnant wages, huge inflation, and mortgages going up?  Kids need fed regularly and a light lunch costs 30 quid in all the venues. And yeah, the museums are technically free but the exhibits are upwards of 70 quid for family tickets! Doubt we'll be back for a while unfortunately.

3 hours ago, Alex said:

Just remembered there was a Mexican restaurant called Senor Zorbas there with unbelievable views and probably the best selection of tequila I’ve ever seen 

went to a bar in london could have been cafe pacifico not sure but it was the first time i realised the full range of tequilas. oak matured and all that stuff. i don't do spirits but my mate had some at £50. tasted like whisky to me. yuck.

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, Renton said:

Had a long weekend in London with the family. Nothing too crazy, but reckon all in its cost more than a grand which is depressing. This is for standard class trains booked in advance, a Premier Inn in the city, a west end show in cheap seats (Frozen), visit to Kew Gardens and British Science museum, and one "posh" meal at 22 Fenchurch Street (Sky Garden bistro). 

I mean it's been good if bit knackering but surely these types of breaks are now becoming out of reach for many of us when you have to contend with stagnant wages, huge inflation, and mortgages going up?  Kids need fed regularly and a light lunch costs 30 quid in all the venues. And yeah, the museums are technically free but the exhibits are upwards of 70 quid for family tickets! Doubt we'll be back for a while unfortunately.

Glad you had a nice time. :lol:

• Haha 6

25 minutes ago, Renton said:

Just had a lovely weekend in Troutbeck without the kids / dogs. Hope that makes you feel better ;) 

• Haha 2

51 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

Kefalonia is another beautiful Greek island to consider. Crete too has some hidden gems if you look past the usual touristy resorts. We stayed in a lush villa up near the white mountains there one year with a pool looking on to the calm sea below. Idyllic, great food and really good value. Or at least it was a decade ago when the pound was still worth something  

Haven’t been to the former but Crete is gorgeous, yeah. Absolutely massive and loads to explore. Haven’t been but Rethymnon is meant to be really nice 

29 minutes ago, Renton said:

winnie the pooh love quotes GIF

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Renton said:

I said so in my post, dick splash. Just pointing out prices have doubled in about 3 years is all. 

Finger Shut Up GIF by Cody Simpson

And the fact you had a nice time is the bit I decided to focus on, BECAUSE I'M NICE LIKE THAT DICKLIPS! 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Gemmill said:

And the fact you had a nice time is the bit I decided to focus on, BECAUSE I'M NICE LIKE THAT DICKLIPS! 

See how you feel once you've actually QUEUED just to get in a shop that sells M & fucking Ms btw!

I think Alex has actually highlighted my gripe is with my family and not Lomdon prices.....

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Alex said:

What’s with all them American Candy stores? That’s got to be sone sort of money laundering racket 

It absolutely is. Although some people are easily parted from their money too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gemmill said:

:lol:

Those M&M stores are insane. There's one in Times Square too. 

:lol: What the actual fuck? Queuing to get into a shop that sells something you can buy at a petrol station 

• Haha 2

• Meenzer changed the title to Holidays 2024