Holidays 2024

McFaul

13 hours ago, Christmas Tree said:

All depends how long, what you’re going for and more importantly how entertained you want any kids to be.

We had a lovely run around up there a year last summer.

1 night Balloch

1 night Fort William

1 night Inverness

But I love driving off the beaten track and pulling up beside a lock to put the kettle on and watching seals. If Kids had been in tow they would be bored shitless.

Its also a very different place when it’s a cloudy rainy day and you can’t even enjoy the scenery :lol: 

If you want "off the beaten track" I'd highly recommend taking the the road to Applecross (Bealach Na Ba, it's an old cattle pass that takes you up and over a Monroe and brings you out in really remote part of the west-coast on the mainland right across from Skye). There's a campsite there, a wee harbour, a post office and a great pub. So it's worth a night's stop over before taking the road north to Shieldaig, then east through Torridon towards Inverness. 

Kids definitely won't be bored shitless on Bealach Na Ba. It's pretty frightening at parts but worth it. Great views on the way up and a wee car park at the summit, some 2000ft up the hill. Wee read on it here if it's any interest

Without doubt my favourite part of the country here in the summer. Only caveats are you really don't want to get stuck there in shit weather and theres fuck all in the way of shops or things to do besides appreciate the scenery.

If you want go stupidly far off the beaten track and like a bit of hillwalking, check out Reiff. But if you make it that far NW it's probably sensible to stay in Ullapool and make Reiff a day trip before quickly retreating back to civilization.

• Like 2

We bought our current gaff from a longtime family friend of Mrs. F’s mam, who married the most annoying bloke in the world and moved to Badachro, on the shores of Gairloch. 

The name translates from Gaelic as “Buttfuck Nowhere”, which is a fair comment. :lol:

A notable event listed on its wiki page is that Queen Victoria didn’t go there ( I shit thee not). 

Lovely scenery though. 

• Haha 3

If she ever gets rid of her husband, we will definitely go and visit, and via that road. 

Unfortunately, nothing could persuade me to spend a night in his company, which we’d be obliged to do if we went, on account of it being further from civilisation than the Moon :lol:

• Haha 1

Aye, tbh I'd be highly suspicious of anyone that ever even tried to convince someone to move out there permanently. That old cattle pass is basically a shortcut from the south-east and gets closed in the winter as it's too dangerous. First sign of ice, if you want to get out and closer to something civilization your only quick option is further North. Quickest road back south would probably be the fucking A9 via Inverness.

I feel similar about large parts of rural Ireland. It's fine for a few days in the summer, but fuck being stuck there long term or with folk you didn't like.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Blastronaut said:

If you want "off the beaten track" I'd highly recommend taking the the road to Applecross (Bealach Na Ba, it's an old cattle pass that takes you up and over a Monroe and brings you out in really remote part of the west-coast on the mainland right across from Skye). There's a campsite there, a wee harbour, a post office and a great pub. So it's worth a night's stop over before taking the road north to Shieldaig, then east through Torridon towards Inverness. 

Kids definitely won't be bored shitless on Bealach Na Ba. It's pretty frightening at parts but worth it. Great views on the way up and a wee car park at the summit, some 2000ft up the hill. Wee read on it here if it's any interest

Without doubt my favourite part of the country here in the summer. Only caveats are you really don't want to get stuck there in shit weather and theres fuck all in the way of shops or things to do besides appreciate the scenery.

If you want go stupidly far off the beaten track and like a bit of hillwalking, check out Reiff. But if you make it that far NW it's probably sensible to stay in Ullapool and make Reiff a day trip before quickly retreating back to civilization.

that wee car park at the top is the windiest place on earth, lovely day, parked up, got out of car and nearly froze to death in my t shirt.

Stunning drive though

2F5B51B3-5893-439B-B788-F35B89231CFB.jpeg

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

Also one of the hardest cycle climbs in the UK.

It’s pretty damn steep and very long with all the switchbacks and if its even a little breezy it’d be damn near impossible.

1 hour ago, wykikitoon said:

Go snowboarding in a couple of weeks. Cannie wait. Been a good 15 years since I last boarded! 

Save yourself and everyone else a lot of hassle and hire skis.

Where you off to?

3 minutes ago, ewerk said:

Save yourself and everyone else a lot of hassle and hire skis.

Where you off to?

:lol: Wife is a skier 

Meribel.  Wifes colleague has an apartment there so going with them.  Hoping for some swinging too

• Haha 4

I was in Val Thorens last month which is part of the 3 Valleys with Meribel. Conditions were fantastic but there were a lot of flat areas for snowboarders to contend with so you need to make sure the wife know how to tow you.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, ewerk said:

you need to make sure the wife know how to tow you.

That's got to be a euphemism. 

Back to Gloomy, the lad's only going for a few days in April, with kids. Wild campingin the Knoydart is probably a bit optimistic. 

• Haha 3

48 minutes ago, ewerk said:

I was in Val Thorens last month which is part of the 3 Valleys with Meribel. Conditions were fantastic but there were a lot of flat areas for snowboarders to contend with so you need to make sure the wife know how to tow you.

I've done the three valleys challenge many a time with Ski wankers and never had to get a taxi back like some :P 

• 2 weeks later...

Went to a restaurant last night. A group of Brits pissed up from Blackburn in. Acting like cunts. Then we wonder why we're hated. I mean being from fucking Blackburn was hard enough. 

Been snowing since 17:00 and its serious needed apparently not snowed since early Jan here. Slopes are fine above 1800m but in the afternoon it's slushy. 

• Haha 4

47 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

Went to a restaurant last night. A group of Brits pissed up from Blackburn in. Acting like cunts. Then we wonder why we're hated. I mean being from fucking Blackburn was hard enough. 

Been snowing since 17:00 and its serious needed apparently not snowed since early Jan here. Slopes are fine above 1800m but in the afternoon it's slushy. 

Aye. Imagine if you had nowt to moan about though ;) 

• Haha 5

Mrs. W. -“ But Wykiki love, we’re here in t’Alps, surrounded by mountains ( we’ve got bigger ones back home), it’s just dumped fresh powder on t’slopes, why ist tha’ so miserable?”

Wykiki- “ Lookit t’Blackburn folk, all drunk and loud, it’s ruined, ah say, ruined!”

• Haha 5

15 hours ago, Monkeys Fist said:

Mrs. W. -“ But Wykiki love, we’re here in t’Alps, surrounded by mountains ( we’ve got bigger ones back home), it’s just dumped fresh powder on t’slopes, why ist tha’ so miserable?”

Wykiki- “ Lookit t’Blackburn folk, all drunk and loud, it’s ruined, ah say, ruined!”

He's just sore because he asked them 'Has t'any bisto?' to go with his Sunday dinner and they replied, 'Fuck off you Spanish cunt.'

Edited by Howmanheyman
  • Haha 5

2 minutes ago, Howmanheyman said:

He's just sore because he asked them 'Has t'any bistro?' to go with his Sunday dinner and they replied, 'Fuck off you Spanish cunt.'

Bernard Manning :lol: 

• Haha 4

24 minutes ago, Monkeys Fist said:

I'm pissing tha sen. I've just shown her this. 

'cheeky bastard! I'm from Nottingham!' 🤣 🤣 🤣 

• Haha 2

An old engineer I worked with told me on his mates stag do they hired a van to go to the Embasy club to see manning.

It was about 10pm when he came on and they were all pissed up. Manning 'who's the cunts in from Yorkshire?' they all cheered 'your fucking mini bus is on fire, fuck off' they all cheered. 

2am or about that time the club shut. They all left. A smoking skeleton of a mini bus 😂

• Haha 5

• Meenzer changed the title to Holidays 2024