Holidays 2024

McFaul

The forecast isn’t looking as clever for the final couple of days of our stay here. Shame but you always get some rain in the lakes at some point. Had glorious sunshine the first three days of our visit. It really is a magical place when the weather’s like this 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

The forecast isn’t looking as clever for the final couple of days of our stay here. Shame but you always get some rain in the lakes at some point. Had glorious sunshine the first three days of our visit. It really is a magical place when the weather’s like this 

Aye, it’s not the place to go if you don’t like rain :lol: 

Funny enough, we were here for Easter last year. It was a week later and the weather was very sunny and warm. Next week also predicted to be sunny and up to 18 degrees.

As long as the thunder keeps away I’ll still be paddle boarding.

Did the kids enjoy Brockhole.

3 minutes ago, Christmas Tree said:

Funny enough, we were here for Easter last year. It was a week later and the weather was very sunny and warm. Next week also predicted to be sunny and up to 18 degrees.

yeah, they loved the high tree rope walk with zip lines 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Christmas Tree said:

Middle of bloody winter those temperatures 🙂 

• Haha 1

@Alex we did Orrest Head on the first day of our trip which was absolutely glorious under clear blue skies.  

We’re just back from Wansfell pike. We started off under light drizzle with grumpy kids complaining about being dragged up another fell. I loved the climb and the views but my 8 year old predictably grumbled for the final 20 minutes on the way up. It was quite a challenge for a city girl more more accustomed to sitting on her arse in front of YouTube though she was proud of herself when she finally made it to the summit and the amazing selection of pies and scones back in Ambleside were well-earned.

It was tougher work than I expected and we’re all feeling it in our legs - I just sank one of the most satisfying ever pints of pale ale in about 3 gulps. The old man of Coniston may have been a climb too far for our little one this time. Maybe next time.

What a lovely spot Ambleside is btw. Much more up-market than Keswick, where we have stayed in previous visits to the area. We will definitely return 

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

@Alex we did Orrest Head on the first day of our trip which was absolutely glorious under clear blue skies.  

We’re just back from Wansfell pike. We started off under light drizzle with grumpy kids complaining about being dragged up another fell. I loved the climb and the views but my 8 year old predictably grumbled for the final 20 minutes on the way up. It was quite a challenge for a city girl more more accustomed to sitting on her arse in front of YouTube though she was proud of herself when she finally made it to the summit and the amazing selection of pies and scones back in Ambleside were well-earned.

It was tougher work than I expected and we’re all feeling it in our legs - I just sank one of the most satisfying ever pints of pale ale in about 3 gulps. The old man of Coniston may have been a climb too far for our little one this time. Maybe next time.

What a lovely spot Ambleside is btw. Much more up-market than Keswick, where we have stayed in previous visits to the area. We will definitely return 

Great stuff, mate. Glad you enjoyed it. And the fells aren’t going anywhere, so there’s always next time 

Edited by Alex

1 hour ago, Dr Gloom said:

Much more up-market than Keswick

Sounds like you've had a great time but not sure I know what you mean by this? Keswick's probably bigger but plenty of nice places to stay and eat there. Derwent water has some lush places too and you've got loads of options for Borrowdale, Honister, Buttermere, Newlands Valley etc. Basically everywhere in the lakes is fantastic though. I'm looking forward to a break there in May.

On 10/04/2023 at 17:19, Renton said:

Sounds like you've had a great time but not sure I know what you mean by this? Keswick's probably bigger but plenty of nice places to stay and eat there. Derwent water has some lush places too and you've got loads of options for Borrowdale, Honister, Buttermere, Newlands Valley etc. Basically everywhere in the lakes is fantastic though. I'm looking forward to a break there in May.

Nothing more than a superficial impression tbh. No offence meant, I had a great time on my last couple of visits to Keswick. Ambleside and the area around it just seemed to have posher food offerings, boozers and fancier-looking hotels etc.

Could just be we made poor choices but we had a couple of ropey meals last time I was in Keswick (admittedly a few years back now), where everywhere we’ve been on this trip has been really nice with loads of vegan options for the wife

Edited by Dr Gloom

17 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

Nothing more than a superficial impression tbh. No offence meant, I had a great time on my last couple of visits to Keswick. Ambleside and the area around it just seemed to have posher food offerings, boozers and fancier-looking hotels etc.

Could just be we made poor choices when we but we had a couple of ropey meals last time I was in Keswick (admittedly a few years back now), where everywhere we’ve been on this trip has been really nice with loads of vegan options for the wife. 

Ha, no offence at all. I've stayed in both loads and think they're a similar level personally. Both are better than Bowness,  that's for sure. My main place is Ullswater or if I'm flush you can't beat Grasmere. A big factor is rhe North Lakes are very close to Newcastle. I know Alex stays a lot in the the Southern Lakes including Eskdale which I mean to get round to. 

1 hour ago, ewerk said:

A lot of middle-aged passive aggro going on in this thread.

You obviously don’t like the correct part of the lakes mate, you need to get your opinions sorted 

• Haha 8

• Meenzer changed the title to Holidays 2024