Holidays 2024

McFaul

One of my fave B&B's in the Lakes is in Keswick.  But the town itself is a little unkempt.  Restaurants seem to be few and far between now and the pubs I can take or leave it.  TBH When I am in the Lakes I don't really go in the pubs only the odd one for food after a walk / ride.

Ambleside I have loved for years, but some of the shops now are getting like Sports Direct. Gaynors used to be great for outdoors gear but fuck me, that might as well be owned by Ashley.  There's too many art gallery's too in Ambleside.  But if you want a nice Thai meal, go to Doi Intanon, it's great,  But yeh, the restaurants seem better in Ambleside.  The bigger car park they put in at Miller Bridge was a godsend too as it was getting mental for parking.  Push cycle shop in Ambleside has some cock strokingly gorgeous kit in too and the guys that run it are sound and I always pop in for a coffee and a natter.

On 10/04/2023 at 09:11, Dr Gloom said:

The forecast isn’t looking as clever for the final couple of days of our stay here. Shame but you always get some rain in the lakes at some point. Had glorious sunshine the first three days of our visit. It really is a magical place when the weather’s like this 

You're not wrong. A few from this weekend.

G0101307_1680875840904.jpg

G0271474_1680965035635.jpg

G0261465_1680965052014.jpg

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Meenzer said:

the-good-life-barbara-good.gif

Rick's first draft

Oh Felicity, Felicity
You fill me with electricity.
Like putting your nob in a plug socket
Except you haven't got one
(a nob that is, I'm sure you have a plug socket
or how would you play your "Shape up and dance" aerobics record?
You wouldn't that's how).

Rick's second draft

Oh Felicity, Felicity
You fill me with electricity.
Isn't that shocking?
Your timeless, silken, loveliness is so smashing
I want to wander through it, gorgeously naked
Unashamed of the spots on my bottom.
You are so nice.
Without crabs or lice.
Like a proper girly ought to be.
Your second name is Kendal,
You are like the mint cake,
Cool, fresh and nice to suck
If I had a tin of Alphabetti Spaghetti,
I'd spell "I love you".
How about a quick bonk?

• Haha 6

Just now, Monkeys Fist said:

:lol:
Filmed in a chemists in Milton Keynes that scene. 

I actually knew that. Well technically it’s a little place near Milton Keynes. The pub they go into just prior to that is in the same market town (or the pub exterior is at least). There was a site where some fella had tracked down loads of the locations used. Most of the ones in the lakes are actually in the lakes. Monty’s cottage is Sleddale Hall. I think they keep trying to restore it as a holiday home but it’s on the middle of nowhere even by Lake District standards. The scenes downstairs were actually filmed there. I’m afraid the Mother Black Cap is no more though. 

• Like 1

Made the mistake of not immediately turning around and walking out when I found a bar selling Leffe on tap. Absolutely hanging this morning and in the dog house.

Also thought I’d wandered into a soft play room when I went to the bogs.

AE452203-C9FF-47D9-8A55-944440B2CEAF.jpeg

• Haha 4

58 minutes ago, Monkeys Fist said:

Indeed

WTF the fuck is going on with that sacrilegious avatar Gazza? May Joey Ramone stike down and beat on your brat!

We've just booked a trip to Port Douglas to spend a couple of days out on the Great Barrier Reef "swimmin' wit da fishies," before humankind finally fucks what's left of it.

Excited and filled with trepidation about how much it has deteriorated since we were there last in 2011.
This is what it looked like then, now probably not so much.

P8310054.jpg

P8310114.jpg

P8310130.jpg

P8310030.jpg

P8310083.jpg

Edited by sammynb
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Christmas Tree said:

Made the mistake of not immediately turning around and walking out when I found a bar selling Leffe on tap. Absolutely hanging this morning and in the dog house.

Also thought I’d wandered into a soft play room when I went to the bogs.

AE452203-C9FF-47D9-8A55-944440B2CEAF.jpeg

Is that the one in Bowness next to the marina? 

2 hours ago, Alex said:

Is that the one in Bowness next to the marina? 

Sol or Bodega under the tapas bar. Years ago they used to sell some world beer where the tradition was you had to leave your shoe until you returned the glass???

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Christmas Tree said:

Sol or Bodega under the tapas bar. Years ago they used to sell some world beer where the tradition was you had to leave your shoe until you returned the glass???

That’s a type of Belgian beer. Can’t remember the name but I was in a Belgian Bar (in the CBD in Perth, Australia of all places). And one of the beers comes in a specific glass with its own wooden stand. So you leave your shoe to stop you nicking the glass. 

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, Alex said:

That’s a type of Belgian beer. Can’t remember the name but I was in a Belgian Bar (in the CBD in Perth, Australia of all places). And one of the beers comes in a specific glass with its own wooden stand. So you leave your shoe to stop you nicking the glass. 

Aye, that was the one with the stand now you mention it. :lol: 

There was one Belgian beer that was 8.6% but I didn’t dare.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Alex said:

Kwak - that’s the one. Lovely drop actually

47E48184-197E-4623-B451-15E33720C2EC.jpeg

I've got one of those in the basement.  The glass is broken and the beer has been drunk. So there's just the wooden stand I can't think of a good use for. 

Stay tuned for more high octane anedotes.

• Haha 5

2 minutes ago, Alex said:

Ooh, he’s got a basement

;) 

Half tanked, with a shower room and an office down there and everything. 

Office has phone line, muliple outlets, bespoke shelving and all that good shit. But it's been out of commission since we moved in because the Mrs inherited a coffee table made from massive fuck off reclaimed railway sleepers and a massive fuck off pane of glass. It doesn't fit comfortably in any of our rooms. It needs a team of 4 big boys (who probably know about blobbing and have calluses) to get it out of there. 

So, we can never use it in this house, and we couldn't sell it online without a team of sherpas to shift it, but can I take it apart with a handsaw and hammer? NoOOOOOooOOoOOoooo

wimmin, amirite?

• Haha 4

• Meenzer changed the title to Holidays 2024