Newcastle United v West Ham United

Christmas Tree

Best performance of the season that. Overall we looked far better than West Ham who are genuinely challenging for a top 4 spot. It was convincing and I think 2-1 flatters West Ham. People often state over the top reactions, particularly to watching football, but Wijnaaldum looked not just top class, he looked absolute world class today. WORLD class, I'd go as far to say he's THE best player we've had since Shearer, that genuinely is how highly I rate him. I enjoyed that so much I left the ground for the first time in years in a genuinely happy mood.

I genuinely appreciated that post

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

H West Ham 2-1

A Watford 0-1

A Everton 1-1

H WBA 2-1

A Chelsea 0-2

H Man City 0-2

A Stoke 1-2

H Bournemouth 3-2

A Leicester 0-2

H Sunderland 4-1

A Norwich 1-1

A Southampton 2-2

H Swansea 3-1

A Liverpool 0-3

H Palace 1-0

A Aston Villa 2-0

H Tottenham 1-1

P17 W7 D4 L6 = 25pts

I hope I'm vaguely right because that would give us 43 points which should definitely be enough.

Lets hope I'm right about the rest.

Journo's talking up a 3 game ban for Shelvey? For a fuckin shoulder barge :lol:

Looks even less from the other angle

Laughable even Bilic has said it was nothing more than a shoulder barge.

The fucking pansy soon got up and had a go at Shelvey once he knew he was getting fuck all for rolling around the soft bastard.

It was a very positive day and for a change I can actually watch match of the day rather than just delete the recording. We should have been much more comfortable. We had the chances and I think if Dummett had tried to stop the ball with his right foot he would have.

I've said I don't rate Shelvey and one game isn't going to convince me otherwise, but it was a really positive start. I'd forgotten what it was like to have a midfielder actually play forward passes into the forwards and that ball for Janmaat for the second goal was superb (as was Janmaat's touch). If he continues to play like that, I'll happily admit I was wrong about him.

I thought Saivet perhaps looked like he wants a bit more time than he's going to get in this league. He didn't do anything wrong like and he's just got here so hopefully he'll be able to adapt given a bit of time.

I agree that Mitro is getting more stick than he deserves. Generally he had a very good game. He was holding the ball up really well and brought other players into the game. Obviously he needs to score more but hopefully if Shelvey continues in this vein he'll get more chances and the goals will come. I don't think we can afford to risk waiting for that though. We need goals to get us up the league and signing a player who has regularly proven he can do that. Austin would have been ideal and I'd take Remy back in a heartbeat. I'm not sure Lacazette would be the right choice (another young kid who hasn't done it over a long period and would be making a step up from his league) even if he would come. More talk today about Berahino. I'd be happy to get him as he's shown he can score at this level and I think he could play instead of or with Mitrovic. But again I doubt it will happen.

Edited by David Kelly

Mitrovic getting any kind of stick is pissing me off like, he's got so much potential and he's only going to realise it by playing. He's had a nervy start we all thought we'd signed a proper knob and he's sorted his head out since getting sent off. Loved that he took the penalty midweek as well. He's certainly not shy or trying to hide and that'll see him come good.

I like him. His all round game looks sound and he's got loads of potential but his finishing has been pretty shite. Do you not think signing an extra senior striker to take the pressure off him would be a good thing?

I like him. His all round game looks sound and he's got loads of potential but his finishing has been pretty shite. Do you not think signing an extra senior striker to take the pressure off him would be a good thing?

I think that's most people's view. The problem is we don't have the luxury of waiting for him to come good in front of goal this season. We need a goal getter this window.

Plenty of time for Mitrovic to find his touch either along side such a finisher or once relegations avoided.

We couldnt have signed Austin because he declared his desire to stay down south last time we "tried" to sign him due to family being settled.

Mitrovic is key to how we play and key to why Wijn has so many goals, he has missed chances but we play with 1 up front. So is he meant to develop sitting on the bench? Nonsense, he will get better by playing regularly.

Also think Elliot was at fault for their goal yesterday, shot stopping is the headline/easy part of goalkeeping. A good keeper is getting to that ball before the forward.

Also think Elliot was at fault for their goal yesterday, shot stopping is the headline/easy part of goalkeeping. A good keeper is getting to that ball before the forward.

You're joking aren't you? A lazy, underhit back pass is the keepers fault?

The full responsibility lies at Mbemba's door, like you say it was lazy and careless. His distribution was like that all day, that's one part of his game he needs to improve.

He's got to concentrate for 90 minutes. I'm worried Colo isn't the man to learn from in that regard...

It was comfortably the worst mistake he's made here, hopefully he takes it as a kick up the backside and keeps his head in that situation next time.

Well in what way? I don't see any real evidence that the pressure is getting to him. At times last year I felt that about Perez, who despite showing some class looked isolated half of the time. Mitrovic I don't see that in, he's getting involved and putting himself about. His hold up play is class and I think we'll struggle to sign a player with as good an all-round game who happens to be a goal-machine as well. I don't think seeing him dropped will benefit him and I think there's more goals in this team that takes the pressure off. He's undoubtedly suffered because of our midfield too so I think we should see a definite improvement. Thauvin has flopped and he was brought in to supply him. Anita/Colback in midfield together will starve any striker. The problem with signing a striker is that it would be to take Mitrovic's place and I quite like watching him play.

What people forget about Mbemba and certainly with Mitrovic is they are 20 and 21 year old kids. 30 years younger than half of you, they'll get better and better. The keeper was not to fault for Mbemba's back pass ridiculous to suggest otherwise but the kid has all the potential of a real top drawer centre half. He's 20 ffs.

Well in what way? I don't see any real evidence that the pressure is getting to him. At times last year I felt that about Perez, who despite showing some class looked isolated half of the time. Mitrovic I don't see that in, he's getting involved and putting himself about. His hold up play is class and I think we'll struggle to sign a player with as good an all-round game who happens to be a goal-machine as well. I don't think seeing him dropped will benefit him and I think there's more goals in this team that takes the pressure off. He's undoubtedly suffered because of our midfield too so I think we should see a definite improvement. Thauvin has flopped and he was brought in to supply him. Anita/Colback in midfield together will starve any striker. The problem with signing a striker is that it would be to take Mitrovic's place and I quite like watching him play.

i wouldn't say that either. his all round performances are good but he's got to be taking more chances. i don't think it would do him in any harm if he had another striker in the mix to compete with, or sometimes play alongside.

also, if he gets injured we're back to playing cisse, who doesn't have the all round game to play up front on his own, or riviere, who just looks a donkey.

i wouldn't say that either. his all round performances are good but he's got to be taking more chances. i don't think it would do him in any harm if he had another striker in the mix to compete with, or sometimes play alongside.

also, if he gets injured we're back to playing cisse, who doesn't have the all round game to play up front on his own, or riviere, who just looks a donkey.

If there was a Mitrovic clone out there I'd sign him as competition for the big guy. A big powerful targetman that the other players can pivot off and who can be a consistent thorn in the opposition's side.

I don't think Berahino is going to be happy sitting on the bench, or rotating with Mitrovic. He wants to be playing 90 minutes every game and seems like a stroppy bellend when he isn't.

We've got midfielders with goals in them (Gini, Perez, Sissoko) I'd play Mitro even if he doesn't score that often, but obviously if we go off and sign Lacazette I'd be delighted. Just don't see the point in buying another striker that's roughly as useful as Mitrovic, because what's most likely is that they would just slow his progress.

Edited by The Fish

I think if we're playing two strikers there's definitely a case for signing another one, it depends on whether they're planning on persevering with the current formation. I do like our front 6 now though, it's looked so slick in the last couple of games. Would signing another striker take the pressure off or put it on him more? Would having somebody up there that's a finisher but doesn't do the off-the-ball stuff be detrimental to our style of play? Think we'll want to sell one of Cisse/Riviere before we get another one in. Who could we realistically sign that would be a better option than what we have? I think I'd give him the rest of the season in our new look set-up before considering it, would rather recruit some full backs.