Cliffy Ahmed

NJS

My first away game was boxing day 79 on the supporters club bus and I went to the rest of the away games that way for the next two and a half seasons. I met a few lads who travelled from South Shields some of who became life long mates and I also met Cliffy. We also used to get the train to the home matches before the metro started and Cliffy was always on there.

The bloke didn't have that much of a life I think but it's no cliché to say he lived for NUFC and he certainly spent all his time, money and effort on making sure he made the games. He was always easy going and willing to talk to anyone about the team. Even after not travelling with him for years he always recognised me and said hello when we bumped into each other when I still went.

Maybe it's a sign of me getting older as well but my first thought on reading of his death was that it's a shame he didn't see us win anything. It's also made me sit here thinking about all the years I've spent hoping we'd do it and also about all the familiar faces and friends I've met along the way.

RIP Cliffy.

I remember him he used to get Armstrong Galley sometimes years ago, we had some right faces on the buses then, him, owld Stevie, me etc..... RIP. He doesn't look like a muslim at all, I wonder how he got the name Ahmed. Not that it's a bad thing, just unusual.

Was on a few club coaches with him and being from shields you'd always see him on the metro or having a pint. He was always keen to discuss the club with anyone within earshot.

RIP

He got in the Ship & Royal. I remember seeing him in there.

I remember him he used to get Armstrong Galley sometimes years ago, we had some right faces on the buses then, him, owld Stevie, me etc..... RIP. He doesn't look like a muslim at all, I wonder how he got the name Ahmed. Not that it's a bad thing, just unusual.

He lived in Laygate so not that unusual.

Is that the rough part in between Chi and the town centre?

Roughly - around the Adam & Eve /Frederick St. It was where the Yemenis settled and where the mosque is (where Ali had his wedding blessed).