Andros Townsend

ohhh_yeah

Totally won me over when I had my doubts over the signing from the get go that weren't allayed under McClaren.

Palace broke on Saturday and he was pelting back to help Anita and won the tackle against Bolasie. 60 seconds later he was lending Dummet a hand on the other side. His defensive contribution shouldn't be what gets attention, but as his contribution when not in possession was an area I previously criticised I'm delighted to eat humble pie and see him working so hard.

And which of those stats disproves that?

BTW, what site are you using for stats? I feel I could up my game.

Pass completion, successful passes, duels won.

If he were significantly worse than Cisse at passing the ball to his teammates his pass completion metric would be low

As would his successful passes.

If he were losing possession in tackles his duel % would be down.

My point is that the game we're now playing under Rafa has Cisse moving into the channels, rather than central like Mitro. Next season, Cisse should be moved on and Mitro should be played with Perez & Townsend running the channels. We'll be able to dominate the centre of the park in the Championship with a midifeld of Colback, Shelvey + 1 Other.

I use Squawka.

Pass completion, successful passes, duels won.

If he were significantly worse than Cisse at passing the ball to his teammates his pass completion metric would be low

As would his successful passes.

If he were losing possession in tackles his duel % would be down.

My point is that the game we're now playing under Rafa has Cisse moving into the channels, rather than central like Mitro. Next season, Cisse should be moved on and Mitro should be played with Perez & Townsend running the channels. We'll be able to dominate the centre of the park in the Championship with a midifeld of Colback, Shelvey + 1 Other.

I use Squawka.

Cheers.

Surely if we stay up (which is what I said), you'd be hoping for better than Mitrovic and Perez to be starting in August?

I'm 100% certain Rafa would.

Cheers.

Surely if we stay up (which is what I said), you'd be hoping for better than Mitrovic and Perez to be starting in August?

I'm 100% certain Rafa would.

Hmm, dunno.

I see genuine potential in both players. I think Mitrovic can be a monster if he gets the right service and support. I can see Perez growing a lot under a manager of Benitez's quality.

AM is big, strong, aggressive, sure. But he's also got good instincts in the box and a good awareness elsewhere on the pitch. Can score with head or feet and isn't ponderous either.

AP is slight and short, but he has good technique, has a predator's eye in the box.

They're marked improvements on Ameobi, Lovenkrands and Nolan, who scored for fun in the Championship. If we stay up, sure I'd love us to add some more quality across the board, but who wouldn't want to buy better players? I think the priority isn't the forward line, it's Left back, centre back, centre mid and left wing.

• 2 weeks later...

Townsend will leave and fair play to him, he's worked hard scored goals and tracked back every game. He's done everything he can to try and keep us up and I hope he has a brilliant campaign, I like the lad

I would love him to stay but it's not realistic

yeah, townsend is class. it'll be a shame to lose him as he'd tear up the championship but he's too good for that level and the euros will put him firmly in the shop window.

weird that spurs fans think so little of him. everything he's done in his brief time with us has been impressive.

Townsend will leave and fair play to him, he's worked hard scored goals and tracked back every game. He's done everything he can to try and keep us up and I hope he has a brilliant campaign, I like the lad

I would love him to stay but it's not realistic

We might be surprised who stays if Rafa does..

Poor Defoe :lol:

i thought he had a good shout and probably deserved a place more than the young kid from man u, though i can see why roy has gone for youth instead.

yeah, townsend is class. it'll be a shame to lose him as he'd tear up the championship but he's too good for that level and the euros will put him firmly in the shop window.

weird that spurs fans think so little of him. everything he's done in his brief time with us has been impressive.

if he plays, he's in there because Welbeck is injured who doesn't play in the same position.

Got to imagine he isn't in the first 11 and considering Hodgson has picked wilshere you don't get into his frame of mind purely on merit.

I've been really impressed and surprised by Townsend. I'd never rated him before he arrived but he's shown a great work ethic and a good amount of skill since he arrived. I don't think he's a guaranteed leaver like the Dutch and Sissoko but I still think chances are he will be gone. And I can't blame him, he did his bit in trying to save us and was let down by others, so I'd wish him well.

• 2 weeks later...