Andros Townsend

ohhh_yeah

I agree with this. I'm not desperate to boo him or anything likt that but he's deserted a sinking ship. I'm not going to wish him the best for that even if I can understand his reasons. And I agree, Given's been forever tarnished to me for doing the same thing.

Aye it's a shame with Given really, he could have seen that season out. I don't think he's a bad bloke like - I think he just made the wrong decision, probably under some stress to be fair to him and you never know what was going on behind the scenes at the club to persuade/disuade him to stay. I've long since forgiven him (no pun intended) - was was quality for us for years, mostly playing behind shite defences. He made a bad decision and probably regrets it himself.

Not particularly fussed about Townsend. He looked canny enough last season but I've got a feeling he's going to be one of those players who does it in fits and spurts throughout his career. That's just a hunch. Glad he's going to Palace mind cos there's no way Pardew's going to get the best out of him - he'll probably have a storming start, as will Palace, and then the wheels will come off and The King will have him playing libero while the team goes on a 15 match winless run after Christmas. Happy we've got this Ritchie kid in straight away, can't remember seeing him play but I like what I've heard about him and it's good to have a Scot in the squad, we haven't had one since the Caldwell's have we?

For ages I didn't know what that was, but when I found out :o

Christ alive that must have been fucking awful.

I have now googled this term and agree that this would suck if it happened to you :lol:

Players go where they're best suited,and not always for footballing reasons.Giggs spent 29 years at Man Utd because that's where he was happy.He could have left but staying was his favoured option.it also meant he could stay `close' to his brother and his family.I'll not miss his balding head nor his blinking.

• 3 months later...

“I understand why people were frustrated, why some people were upset,” he said. “I’d like to think I played well enough in the time I was there. I gave my all to try to keep the club up. If they weren’t too bothered about me leaving it would have meant that I didn’t do a good job but the fact that they were giving me stick just means that I did well there.

“It was the first time in my career that I actually did feel loved, and did feel right. The fans were great with me, everyone loved me. On the last game of the season against Spurs, the standing ovation when I got subbed off was incredible. It made the hair on my arms stand up.

“The fact that we got relegated and we had players still getting that sort of reception was incredible. Obviously I’d have liked to have prolonged my career at Newcastle — who knows, maybe one day I could end up back there.

“It was extremely difficult to leave that but football is a short career and sometimes you use your head as opposed to your heart.

“I got the opportunity to stay in the Premier League and I had to take it. Everyone on the outside goes, ‘Ah, he’s left Newcastle, gone to Palace, it must be about the money,’ but nobody seems to think us players are actually motivated about getting the best out of themselves, making the most of our career, playing in the greatest division in the world.

“A year taking a step back in the Championship, I decided I couldn’t really do that. I made the tough decision.

Townsend added: “England featured in that decision. I knew if I was playing in the Championship it was nigh on impossible to get in the squad. Rafa [benítez] understood. When I made my decision I dropped him a text to let him know. He texted to congratulate me on my England call-up.

“He’s fantastic. When he came in [in March] I was injured, struggling a bit, but from day one he put his faith in me, said he wanted to help me progress my career, score goals, assist goals.

“For someone like Rafa, who’s won everything, who’s managed the best, to say that to me fills me with great confidence. I became a better player under him. In my career, the biggest criticism of me has been the goals and the assists, not being as effective as I would like. Rafa definitely improved my productivity in the final third.

“I’ve matured a lot and am getting crosses early into the box. That is getting me more assists. I am playing well for Palace and scoring goals again. I’m happy to be at Palace now, everything’s going well. Myself and Wilf [Zaha] are playing well, getting crosses into the box for [Christian] Benteke, getting a lot of joy with it.”

Palace’s manager, Alan Pardew, has improved him. “He’s helped me a lot,” Townsend said. “I saw what he’d done with Wilf and Yannick [bolasie] in the past and I just want to take my game to the next level as well. He’s just said to me, ‘If you can do the defensive side of the game I’ll have faith in you to go and do your business at the other end.’

“That’s been great for me, especially now with Christian in. It’s the first time in my career that I’ve had that focal point in the box. In the past I’d have to take somebody on, get to the goalline and cut the ball back. Now, I can take a touch and if the defender backs off I can just put it into the box and you know Christian’s going to be there.”

Benteke was not signed in time to play at White Hart Lane on August 20, when Townsend tried to take on the left back he respects most, Danny Rose. “I enjoy my battles with him,” he said. “He’s somebody I enjoy playing with because I enjoy testing myself against the best. He’s a great defender. He gets up and down the pitch, gets you running the other way as well, and one-v-one he’s a strong tackler and the best left back in the league.”

• 4 weeks later...

totally understand why he left, but wish he'd had the patience to see the bigger picture and potential under rafa. totally agree that he would have been mint as part of a midfield with shelvey and ritchie providing service for gayle and mitro and cutting inside from the flanks to have a crack at goal himself. 

Edited by Dr Gloom

He's going to get Pardewed if he hasn't been already. He was understandably desperate to stay in the Premier League but going to Palace wasn't a great idea. There's a good player in there but, having watched them a couple of times this season, I can't see him fulfilling his potential there unless Pardew goes, but then of course there's no guarantee a new manager will fancy him.

i like ritchie on what i've seen of him, which isn't a lot. 

he's clearly got great skill and delivery, but i wondered if he's blessed with enough pace to really make it in the premier league as a winger?