Andros Townsend

ohhh_yeah

Aye, I don't think he ever really had the pace to be a top winger. People always say he was a sprinter when he was younger to say he's quick, but I always thought he'd have to beat his man two or three times before he got his cross in for us (think he was one of them that really slowed down with the ball at his feet). Has a canny range of passing though which is what helped him as a CM.

I think Milner gets a rough ride off people because he's an ugly cunt from Yorkshire and looks like a cartoon football player from the 1950's. He's more athletic than he looks and as others have said he has a very professional attitude. I didn't think he was class when he was at Newcastle but it's worth remembering he was only 23 or something when he left and he has definitely improved due to his hard work and the coaching he has received. He also doesn't hide which is always a plus and will put in a shift wherever he is asked to play.

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere he was a cross-country champion rather than a sprinter as a kid, which woud certainly make more sense.

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere he was a cross-country champion rather than a sprinter as a kid, which woud certainly make more sense.

That would definitely make more sense. I'm only going off an argument I had with a Boro supporter about Milners pace (no idea how we ended up on that topic :lol:) where he just kept claiming Milner was some county sprint champion, I never really bothered checking as I'd seen Milner's lack of pace in person.

That would definitely make more sense. I'm only going off an argument I had with a Boro supporter about Milners pace (no idea how we ended up on that topic :lol:) where he just kept claiming Milner was some county sprint champion, I never really bothered checking as I'd seen Milner's lack of pace in person.

Had a look on wiki and both are true.

Milner also showed talent in cricket, sprinting and long-distance running. He played for the Yorkshire Schools cricket team, was the cross-country champion at his school for three consecutive years and was the district champion over 100 metres for two years in a row.

Still, he certainly doesn't have that seering pace off the mark, so to speak. I suppose a bit like how, even when he was a bit over the hill, Sol Campbell was as quick as anyone at Arsenal when they did the tests over 100m. Doesn't mean he'd beat Walcott or Henry over 30 yards.

Had a look on wiki and both are true.

Still, he certainly doesn't have that seering pace off the mark, so to speak. I suppose a bit like how, even when he was a bit over the hill, Sol Campbell was as quick as anyone at Arsenal when they did the tests over 100m. Doesn't mean he'd beat Walcott or Henry over 30 yards.

Aye, it's acceleration rather than holding your top end pace that matters more in football. It's a shame he never really got many chances at CM for us but I suppose we had decent CM's for a good portion of his time at Newcastle.

KK tried him in CM just before (pre-season) he was sold against his wishes iirc.

I think he was aye, it was something along the lines that Milners sale was dependent on them bringing in Schweinstieger and/or Lennon iirc (or that after the sale KK was promised them) and then Milner got sold and KK wasn't allowed either of them which was the beginning of the end of his tenure. 

Edited by Howay

It's all relative like, compared to most people even "slow" premiership footballers are rapid.

The quickest kid at our school got rinsed by gazza in pre-season when he was at boro.

The closer you are to the pitch the more you realise how fast footballers are.  Clark generally looked like he was moving at the speed of a constipated tortoise but I remember seeing in a cup game when I got a seat only a couple of rows from the pitch.  You could see that miles faster than anyone I'd ever played football with in my life.

How would we actually fit Townsend into the team if we sign him?  Isn't part of his problem at Palace that he doesn't want to play on the left?  Wouldn't that give us the same problem with Ritchie as he always seems to prefer to be on the right.

I'm certainly much more in favour of signing Townsend than I was at this point last year as I saw what he was capable of for us.  But for all his quality, it does strike me that we're not really solving our bigger problems which to me is a lack of options if Shelvey is unavailable and a real attacking threat down the left.

I think McCarthy was our best chance for a Shelvey option, and at £20m it just isn't worth it. Better off waiting for the summer on that one. I could see Ritchie and Townsend being alternated to some reasonable degree of effectiveness though.

Edited by Rayvin

It's starting to look like £20m for a player like McCarthy isn't that overpriced.  A year or two ago you wouldn't have considered more than £10m but that Wilchut is supposedly going from Wigan to Norwich for £7m and they're talking £15m for Hogan.  If anything, Townsend is under priced by virtue of the release clause we had on him and that we're the only team he's played regularly for.

With regards to Ritchie on the left or as a number 10 (I'm not discounting either), has he ever regularly or successfully played in those positions?  I'd guess he would have played left wing at some point (being a left footed winger) but for us and Bournemouth at least he's been playing on the right.

We said Ben Arfa would flourish as a number 10 and that never really worked. He's a hell of a lot more gifted than Ritchie too.

Townsend might be a winger, but he's going to guarantee us at least 10 goals and probably a similar number of assists. Provides a real threat at set pieces too, which is something we've lacked. I think of him as a match-winner - he's one of those players who can make something happen out of nothing (think his winner against Palace, goals against Chelsea and Soton).