Ant

Seydou Doumbia

Confirmed on loan... Good, bad, or a pointless transfer what's the general consensus ?

Obligatory youtube clip

Apps/Goals

CXoThFD.png

Think he'll offer us a something different to Perez when we need more pace for counterattacks and will work well with Mitro playing on the shoulder for flick ons etc

good. it's on loan, so he can go back if it doesn't work out. we need options up front - the fact rivierie has been getting gametime lately is a concern. alright, he's unproven in this league but his goal scoring record elsewhere is impressive.

hopefully not the last deal of the day

I have heard of him before and remember seeing him in Europe where he's done well. His failure at Roma is a concern on the face of it but I hear he didn't get much playing time and at least he's went back to Moscow and scored goals again so we're not signing someone like LDJ who hasn't scored in ages. And his record prior to Roma is superb.

He's coming on loan so it's not a big gamble in that sense but we're banking on someone who is unproven in a good European league to pull us out of the shit. At least he's not a bairn and we know the weather here shouldn't be a problem for him.

Much rather get him in than Gomis who we already know is shit but it still looks to me that again we've really failled to get the big striker signing we need.

:good:

At the absolute least, this shows those in charge of transfers are aware of some of the squad's shortcomings are are trying address it, no?

At the absolute least, this shows those in charge of transfers are aware of some of the squad's shortcomings are are trying address it, no?

Aye

Wonder how much say McClaren is having in this.

You have to ask see they weren't aware at the start of the season too, when it was obvious to most of us.

Still no sign left back, which to me is one of the most obvious of the many shortcomings

We've signed three midfielders for about £30m and brought in one striker on loan and not addressed the defence at all. I think you're giving them a bit much credit there mind.

Happy with this move, he offers something a bit different up top and it's only a loan so if it doesn't work we're not stuck with more deadwood.

The bloke has been prolific everywhere besides Roma, I know it's lesser leagues but it's still somewhat encouraging. I've heard stuff about his time at Roma ranging from he was booed on his debut to he was knackered from the ACoN and thrown into game time, whatever the reason I hope it works out better here.

Official Newcastle United Statement

‘Newcastle United have completed the loan signing of Ivory Coast international striker Seydou Doumbia from AS Roma, subject to the player receiving the appropriate visa.

The 28-year-old moves to St. James’ Park until the end of the season, with an option to make the deal permanent in the summer.

After starting his career in his homeland, Doumbia made a name for himself in Japan’s J League with Kashiwa Reysol and Tokushima Vortis, before switching to Swiss club Young Boys in 2008.

He netted 58 goals in just 79 appearances, which prompted a move to CSKA Moscow in January 2010.

During five trophy-laden years in Russia, Doumbia fired CSKA to two league titles, two Russian Cups and two Russian Super Cups, as well as featuring in the Champions League, where he scored 16 goals in just 23 appearances.

He signed for Italian giants Roma in January 2015 before being loaned back to CSKA Moscow last August.

“I’m delighted to be a Newcastle United player,” said Doumbia.

“I’ve already started to prepare. I’ve arrived and I’m ready to go.

“It has always been a dream to play in the Premier League and now that dream has come true, so I’m absolutely delighted.

“I am looking forward to helping the Club get some wins and climb the table.”

Newcastle United head coach Steve McClaren added: “It is no secret that we have been looking to add to our options in the striking area.

“We have been searching for a forward and were delighted when the opportunity arose to take Seydou on loan.

“He is a natural goalscorer, someone who has scored goals in the Champions League and has played at the highest level. We believe he can make a mark in this team.”

- See more at: http://www.themag.co.uk/2016/02/newcastle-united-release-official-statement-seydou-doumbia-signs/#sthash.huIpmf4q.dpuf

We've signed three midfielders for about £30m and brought in one striker on loan and not addressed the defence at all. I think you're giving them a bit much credit there mind.

"some of the squad's shortcomings"

Was more the trying to address is them that I took issue with.

We were short a centre half, a striker, some creativity and some depth, no?

We signed Mbemba, Mitrovic, Wijnaldum, then when that wasn't sufficient we aded Shelvey, Saivet and Townsend.

We've now signed another striker and (if rumours are to be believed) we're still after a Left Back and another striker.

So we needed

A Centre back - Mbemba

A creative central midfielder - Shelvey & Wijnaldum

A left sided player to replace Thauvin - Townsend

A striker - Mitrovic, Doumbia & maybe more?

A Left back - as yet nothing

Depth - as yet only Saivet & Toney

We could still do with improving on Colo, Elliot and having more options at the back, but I think you're being harsh by saying they're not trying to address some of the squad's weaknesses.

We were short a centre half, a striker, some creativity and some depth, no?

We signed Mbemba, Mitrovic, Wijnaldum, then when that wasn't sufficient we aded Shelvey, Saivet and Townsend.

We've now signed another striker and (if rumours are to be believed) we're still after a Left Back and another striker.

So we needed

A Centre back - Mbemba

A creative central midfielder - Shelvey & Wijnaldum

A left sided player to replace Thauvin - Townsend

A striker - Mitrovic, Doumbia & maybe more?

A Left back - as yet nothing

Depth - as yet only Saivet & Toney

We could still do with improving on Colo, Elliot and having more options at the back, but I think you're being harsh by saying they're not trying to address some of the squad's weaknesses.

We needed at least two central defenders in the summer but only got one and haven't bothered trying to get another one. We've needed a new leftback since Santon went (arguably before) and we've made no effort at all until we've had an injury crisis in that area and even then we apparently only want someone in as back up for Dummett. We've needed to bring a permanent senior striker in since Ba left and as of the last day of this transfer window we've still failed to do that. They've dropped the ball so many times now that people just accept it as the norm and any remotely positive move is praised. It's not good enough for me any more.

We needed at least two central defenders in the summer but only got one and haven't bothered trying to get another one. We've needed a new leftback since Santon went (arguably before) and we've made no effort at all until we've had an injury crisis in that area and even then we apparently only want someone in as back up for Dummett. We've needed to bring a permanent senior striker in since Ba left and as of the last day of this transfer window we've still failed to do that. They've dropped the ball so many times now that people just accept it as the norm and any remotely positive move is praised. It's not good enough for me any more.

You were honestly hoping for a squad overhaul to happen in the summer?

To address all our weaknesses we'd have needed to sign upwards of twelve players, surely?

A sub Right Back

2 Centre backs for first 16

1 left back for first team

a defensive midfielder for first team

a more creative expansive central midfielder for the first team

a left sided attacking player

a couple of strikers for the first team

plus some depth across the board.

on top of changes in the back room staff wouldn't this have been way too much disruption? Surely it'd have been better to spread it across a couple of windows?

I'm not forgetting how shit they've been previously (and the fact that that shitness is directly to blame for our situation), but I can be pleased with efforts to address it.

You were honestly hoping for a squad overhaul to happen in the summer?

To address all our weaknesses we'd have needed to sign upwards of twelve players, surely?

A sub Right Back

2 Centre backs for first 16

1 left back for first team

a defensive midfielder for first team

a more creative expansive central midfielder for the first team

a left sided attacking player

a couple of strikers for the first team

plus some depth across the board.

on top of changes in the back room staff wouldn't this have been way too much disruption? Surely it'd have been better to spread it across a couple of windows?

I'm not forgetting how shit they've been previously (and the fact that that shitness is directly to blame for our situation), but I can be pleased with efforts to address it.

Of course it would be better to spread it over a number of windows. Those windows were mainly prior to the summer. Was signing a soft as shite left sided forward to replace the one we already weren't playing a necessity in the summer? Was signing another defensive midfielder this window when we already have three? I'll give you a clue, the answer is no. We should have made striker, leftback and another central defender priority's. But we haven't so I remain unimpressed. I'm also far from sold on any of the players we have brought in this window and only two of the ones signed in the summer. We are after all third bottom of the league. I hate Pardew as much as anyone but I don't lay the majority of the blame at his door for this.

Of course it would be better to spread it over a number of windows. Those windows were mainly prior to the summer. Was signing a soft as shite left sided forward to replace the one we already weren't playing a necessity in the summer? Was signing another defensive midfielder this window when we already have three? I'll give you a clue, the answer is no. We should have made striker, leftback and another central defender priority's. But we haven't so I remain unimpressed. I'm also far from sold on any of the players we have brought in this window and only two of the ones signed in the summer. We are after all third bottom of the league. I hate Pardew as much as anyone but I don't lay the majority of the blame at his door for this.

Aye but there's more than just our priorities that are a factors in transfer deals. What if Thauvin was available at a knock-down price at that point? Or other strikers (like Berahino) were absolutely not available then? I'd say that given none of the Defensive midfielders have been worthy of that description this season that it is wise to sign a replacement.

Also, I'm not blaming Pardew for any incoming transfers when he was in charge. Never even mentioned him. The shitcunt.