International womens day

Kevin Carr's Gloves

It's 1 day out of 365 when some people choose to recognise women. There should be equality regardless of background, race, gender, etc. Having an International Women's Day doesn't stop the push for equality in any other sphere.

Also, the difference between a woman and a man is demonstrated in pay parity. My mate is working class and earns as much as people who went to public school, if he was a woman it's likely that he wouldn't.

Sure there's less opportunity for working class men than middle or upper, but they're still men and have won the gender lottery. And if they're in the boardroom, they're likely to be white, straight and able bodied too. There's loads of work to be done, but having a day where you recognise women doesn't stop that work, nor does it detract from anyone else.

Some journalist may well use it as a way to self-promote, but their behaviour isn't representative of the majority, nor the core ideals behind it. They're just journalists, not spokespeople :dunno:

I'm not going to get into a large discussion on this one so will respect your points. Only thing I feel I should add is that women earn more than men up to the age of around 35. When they choose to have children. There's possibly an argument to be had there in terms of social expectations for who stays home, but there isn't one for pay, at least in that age range.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not going to get into a large discussion on this one so will respect your points. Only thing I feel I should add is that women earn more than men up to the age of around 35. When they choose to have children. There's possibly an argument to be had there in terms of social expectations for who stays home, but there isn't one for pay, at least in that age range.

If you're saying the average 18-35 woman earns more than their male counterpart, I'd be very surprised. I'd be interested to see the figures on that, and wonder if that's in a specific sector? It could simply point at some job roles traditionally undertaken by women have a quick progression up to a point, but beyond which only dragons and fat white men exist.

Also, when you say they choose to have children, it'll be rare that they make that choice on their own.

If you're saying the average 18-35 woman earns more than their male counterpart, I'd be very surprised.

Aged 22-29 they are. I'd imagine most of it will be in ASHE.

The 20 to 39 figures are from the ONS as people always reference them in reply to all the Guardian articles stating massive disparity.

It's a tough one as in general having kids is "useful" to society but I think expecting to return to work hoping to be paid the same as people who may have worked hard in their absence and earned a rise is a bit unfair.

Fish the splitarse defender. It wasn't like this when he was PMing manc-mag pictures of his latest conquests. :razz:

I would have sent them to you, but we both know he was more in need of hope then, than you were.

You can have 'em now if you're lonely. I don't need them anymore.

Aged 22-29 they are. I'd imagine most of it will be in ASHE.

That's why I can't help but laugh when I see the equal pay shite. Women make more in my age range, who's fighting for my rights huh?

Going off social media, the papers, the boardrooms, the schools, the sports fields, it appears we can't. :dunno:

Don't worry though, it's straight white able-bodied christian man day for the next 364 days :good:

Fuck off man :lol: I thought I was supposed to be the right on one. My boss, her boss and her bosses boss are all women, and the female head of the entire trust just retired.

Fish the splitarse defender. It wasn't like this when he was PMing manc-mag pictures of his latest conquests. :razz:

I still haven't forgotten him tweeting a snide shot of his date to nufcthreatlevel asking him to keep him updated on the nufc score as he was otherwise engaged :lol:

I still haven't forgotten him tweeting a snide shot of his date to nufcthreatlevel asking him to keep him updated on the nufc score as he was otherwise engaged :lol:

:lol: HEY GUYS I'M OUT WITH A WOMAN OK GUYS. GUYS! A WOMAN. GUYS!?