Annoying premier league-isms

Dr Gloom

there's so much annoying language kicking about in football now, i'm pretty sure a lot of it didn't exist in the pre-sky/premier league/talk sport world.

the most obvious one is man utd. for years they were known as man united, man u or manchester united - they weren't just "united", as if no other team with united in its name ever existed. ditto man city. i'm sure birmingam city fans find the use of city just as annoying.

for how long have arsenal been known as 'the' arsenal. i'm sure they used to be known simply as arsenal. why do they need a "the" before their name all of a sudden?

ditto "the bridge" for stamford bridge. there are lots of bridges in london, why drop the prefix?

i'm sure there are plenty more.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

there's so much annoying language kicking about in football now, i'm pretty sure a lot of it didn't exist in the pre-sky/premier league/talk sport world.

the most obvious one is man utd. for years they were known as man united, man u or manchester united - they weren't just "united", as if no other team with united in its name ever existed. ditto man city. i'm sure birmingam city fans find the use of city just as annoying.

for how long have arsenal been known as 'the' arsenal. i'm sure they used to be known simply as arsenal. why do they need a "the" before their name all of a sudden?

ditto "the bridge" for stamford bridge. there are lots of bridges in london, why drop the prefix?

I thought The Arsenal was ancient being as the club was formed of people who worked at The Arsenal in Woolwich.

Edited by Kevin Carr's Gloves

Less a particular word/phrase, more the repetition of untruths. Like Anfield being a cauldron of noise, the North East being a hotbed of football, Villa being a massive club, the "West Ham way" hasn't been played for decades, Bournemouth being plucky little upstarts, and so on

I thought The Arsenal was ancient being as the club was formed of people who worked at The Arsenal in Woolwich.

Don Howe definitely used to refer to them as such, aye.

"Chelski", "Manure" and "Citeh".

Just fuck off an die.

Also I know people on here do it and it's mainly because I'm an old cunt but "We lost 1-3" instead of 3-1- just wrong.

"Assists" is another one as is "wide areas".

Alan Pardew being a good manager, especially when he has his continental specs on.

The alcoholics on soccer saturday.

Michael Owen.

Robbie Savage.

Joey Barton being a new age intellectual.

The 'united' thing for sure. Liverpool being relevant. We're all deluded and demand titles.

"Chelski", "Manure" and "Citeh".

Just fuck off an die.

Also I know people on here do it and it's mainly because I'm an old cunt but "We lost 1-3" instead of 3-1- just wrong.

"Assists" is another one as is "wide areas".

What's your beef with these?

oh and isn't 1-3 just to signify whether you were at home or not?

What's your beef with these?

oh and isn't 1-3 just to signify whether you were at home or not?

Which ones?

I think the 1-3 thing just indicates your team as always being first - I suppose it's correct but still just feels wrong to me.

Assists is a symptom of the over use of stats for me - I know Ozil is a bloody good player without it being numerised to the nth degree.

Wide areas are just wings to me but I admit there's an element of hatred for Trevor Francis in that view as he was one of the first to popularise it.

Which ones?

I think the 1-3 thing just indicates your team as always being first - I suppose it's correct but still just feels wrong to me.

Assists is a symptom of the over use of stats for me - I know Ozil is a bloody good player without it being numerised to the nth degree.

Wide areas are just wings to me but I admit there's an element of hatred for Trevor Francis in that view as he was one of the first to popularise it.

Assists are hardly a new thing though? Mind I'm biased, I love a good stat. They never tell the whole story, but they're brilliant when you want to support a point that isn't obvious.

If someone plays on the wing, I expect them to have chalk on their boots and only 1 thing on their mind.

If they play in wide areas I expect them to operate in a more roaming role.

That you need British players to succeed in the Prem. Load of fucking bollocks that, British players are largely shit.

and gutless mercenaries :aye:

That you need British players to succeed in the Prem. Load of fucking bollocks that, British players are largely shit.

You not enjoy watching Jack Colback and Steven Taylor play with such pashhun?

There's a lot of 'brand' building going on with certain media happy to play along as partners as it's win-win in their eyes. Toon army is also a shit branding if you ask me. Just appeared in 1992, can only remember a few chanting it and the media latched onto it.

'He shouldn't have been beaten at the near post' .So give the attacker a massive area at the far post to put the ball then.

'You can tell by the players reaction'

' unless you've played the game'

'You'll know what I mean' .An ex player to another ex player,meaning if you haven't played the game you haven't a clue about the incident

'Yes gaffer,that's right gaffer' .Ian Wright to Hoddle at every opportunity.