Rafa Benitez

Anorthernsoul

I think it's still more likely that he'll leave, unfortunately. He's saying all the right things but it still boils down to Ashley having the sense and humility to know that giving control to someone like Rafa is the only way he's ever going to make the club as good and (more importantly for him) profitable as it can be. It is a positive sign that they're talking to Rafa, but I dread to think what kind of nonsense they're proposing in those meetings. And then of course, even if they do agree to Rafa's terms, can he trust them to honour them? As we know, the answer to that is most probably no. All we can hope is that the penny has dropped and they realise they need a proper manager. We can take a shred of optimism from the money they've spent recently on Thauvin, Mitrovic, Saivet, Shelvey, Wijnaldum and Townsend, not to mention Rafa's own contract. The positivity in the stands yesterday is what this club is all about. The game has changed, the demographic of the crowds have changed, and to a large extent the attitudes of the people in the region towards the club have changed, but despite that and despite everything Ashley has done in the last 7 or so years, the potential of the club is still there. I do believe Rafa believes that as well, the question remains can he convince the cynical, incompetent wankers above him.

I think it's still more likely that he'll leave, unfortunately. He's saying all the right things but it still boils down to Ashley having the sense and humility to know that giving control to someone like Rafa is the only way he's ever going to make the club as good and (more importantly for him) profitable as it can be. It is a positive sign that they're talking to Rafa, but I dread to think what kind of nonsense they're proposing in those meetings. And then of course, even if they do agree to Rafa's terms, can he trust them to honour them? As we know, the answer to that is most probably no. All we can hope is that the penny has dropped and they realise they need a proper manager. We can take a shred of optimism from the money they've spent recently on Thauvin, Mitrovic, Saivet, Shelvey, Wijnaldum and Townsend, not to mention Rafa's own contract. The positivity in the stands yesterday is what this club is all about. The game has changed, the demographic of the crowds have changed, and to a large extent the attitudes of the people in the region towards the club have changed, but despite that and despite everything Ashley has done in the last 7 or so years, the potential of the club is still there. I do believe Rafa believes that as well, the question remains can he convince the cynical, incompetent wankers above him.

Spot on, my feelings exactly.

Agree with most of this apart from the "profit" bit....to build a team to take a club managed by Rafa where he wants to go will require debt, and that's where it's all going to fall down sooner or later....

what were all the questions again essembee, just for the record? :lol:

i can't keep up with all the avoidance and defection techniques across the various threads.

Agree with most of this apart from the "profit" bit....to build a team to take a club managed by Rafa where he wants to go will require debt, and that's where it's all going to fall down sooner or later....

Aye you're right there, I didn't think that bit through. Instinctively you'd still think that a better team would open up better opportunities to make profit, but the club has been profitable enough in Ashley's eyes for the last few years despite the performance of the team and that's the whole problem.

There's debt and then there's investment. If Ashley is the business man he's supposed to be then he'll be looking at this with a view to getting a retuning on investment. In this case, how much he'll receive from the Premiership if / when we go back up. That makes it an easier discussion and one around "if I give you all of this control, how does that help and what would you spend the money on?"

I made a paedophile jibe on RTG and it was deleted and I was banned for 6 months. It's as if they want to pretend it never happened

So RTG is trying to cover it up too? :lol:

Edited by gpirlo68

Mackems always make daft short cuts for things "delete mod" what a wanker :lol: . Your posts are being deleted by the spam filter you nob because you've made about 300 posts over a 3 day period you sad cunt.

Edited by Howay