Rafa Benitez

Anorthernsoul

If Ashley leaves it to Penfold to finalise things one of the things Rafa might want rid of is Penfold himself

Penfold "Run that past me again Mr Benitez your highness, you want rid of Concur, Carr & me not a problem I'll get right on it"

I think if Ashley has now left it to Charnley to finalise the deal, the budget won't be an issue.

I think you underestimate Charnley's ability to fuck things up.

There's still more than enough time for Penfold to tell him all signings have to be suggested by him and accept a wage in line with 1985 levels. Or a much better run club come in with a better offer. I refuse to get upbeat about anything to do with this club until it's set in stone.

Plenty of time for them to still fuck it up but could Ashley have finally learned - after almost a decade - that his blueprint for success was in fact a pile of pap all along?

possibly getting ahead of myself here, but imagine if rafa agrees to stay before the transfer window opens. he might actually get the time to build the team he wants and to undergo a proper pre-season for once, with no pointless trips to America to play US second string sides.

i think we need an entire new spine - new central defenders, midfielders and centre forwards.

ideally a couple of experienced leaders in there as well.

If de Boer goes to Everton,that leaves the Watford job as the only vacancy in the Premier League,and I cannot see Rafa going there.It seems he want's to manage in England so where else would interest him apart from the North East's biggest and most successful club.As has been pointed out though.Ashley needs to give Rafa full power with regards to incoming and outgoing players.

Am actually more excited by this than I was with the prospect of surviving relegation. If he stays it can only mean that Ashley must have had a review of his methods and be willing to change. And why not? Whatever you think of him, Ashley isn't stupid and will learn from mistakes, he could never have been successful otherwise.

That thrashing of spurs may have been much more significant and important than we thought. It's possible next season may be very enjoyable indeed.