Rafa Benitez

Anorthernsoul

Question: What is the budget? And will that budget be buffered if players are sold?

Benitez replies: Again, I will say it is dangerous to talk about the budget.

If we talk about the budget in public then every club and every agent knows how much you have to spend.

That doesnt help Newcastle United.

We have money to spend where we need to and we dont have to sell, so we are in a very strong position.

Question: What type of players are you looking for? Seasoned Championship players? And in which positions?

Benitez responds: We have to think about the type of player who is best for the Championship, because everybody knows it is a very different league, more physical and it is tougher in different ways than the Premier League.

But also we cannot just focus on building a strong squad for the Championship, because we hope we will only be there for one season; we have to build a squad that we are confident can help us out of the Championship and then can perform also strongly in the Premier League.

Having experience of playing in the Championship can be important, but it is important to have a mix of players who can each bring different qualities to the team.

Mentality, experience, skill, determination, how everyone works together for the team, all these things are important.

I think I dont need to talk about specific positions.

Our fans are very knowledgeable, they will know which positions we need to strengthen, just like we know.

We are working to strengthen positions in which we are weak, of course.

We have our priorities, we have our targets and we are making very good progress behind the doors.

Question: Will you be looking to dip into the foreign market as well? Will you be using your connections abroad?

Benitez answers: I dont care where a player is from, just that he is the right player for Newcastle United and for the squad that we want to build.

I have good connections abroad and I am using those connections and working with Lee and with Graham [Carr], it is a good partnership and I said before we are making very good progress.

Question: What have you made of the reaction of fans since you committed to stay following relegation? Did the enormous support for The Chronicles petition surprise you?

Benitez replies: I knew about the Geordie fans before I came here, everyone in football knows about their passion and their support.

But it was incredible to experience it and to feel the love they have for the club and the welcome and support they gave me and the team.

They did not have an easy season but they are always supporting.

It was very emotional for me.

The fans make a very big difference - to me, to the team on the pitch, to the whole city.

They have been amazing, really amazing.

The fans are very special, they are what Newcastle United is about, they make the club what it is.

I want to give them joy and excitement and pride in their club, a reason to celebrate and to smile.

[emoji38] Send the bloke whose breath smells like a Spanish bin to welcome players to the club.

:lol: I had a pint with him in The Head of Steam and can confirm that he didn't stink. Though he was drinking that heavy duty Budvar so after a few of them, he would have been.

• 2 weeks later...

It was one of the most fucked up seconds of my existence.

:lol:

I'm not serious.

But anticipate similarly outlandish posts from me today, we've finished with work for the day and are using discussions about "expanding our footprint in the US", "What is 'Craft'?" and "getting the most from the new platform" to disguise the fact we've already started getting shit faced. :drinks:

They're doing that while I sit at my desk, dick about on the internet and pretend to be preparing for my absence tomorrow.

I'll probably regret it but the air of competence from the man in that interview fills me with joy.

Don't blame you mate, he's saying all the right things, hopefully try and get the business done soon as possible

• 2 weeks later...

Aye never thought badly about him before he got here, came across well and it's good to see that's been underlined now he is.

Bizarre to have a likeable manager.

:good:

• 2 weeks later...

"Rob Elliot also revealed that he hasn’t been 100% for the last couple of years and so took the chance to have an extra bit of surgery while recovering from his cruciate knee ligament injury."

Liposuction.

There's an article about Daniel Agger in today's Guardian. On about how he had to quit cos he basically wrecked his body taking anti inflammatories.

Anyway at the end of the article there's a brief summary of other things he had to say in the interviews with a Danish paper, and there's a really positive bit about Benitez:

“He was, without a doubt, the best tactician I have played for. He could change formation and tactics three times in one game. We practised his different systems so we knew what to do in different ones. I also remember when we went 1-0 down against Barcelona at the Camp Nou. Benítez was there [pushing his hands downwards as to say ‘stay calm’]. A few of us panicked a little bit and thought we’d get our arses kicked but he was ice cool. He just stood there on the sidelines and said: take it easy, carry on doing what you are doing – and in the end we won 2-1."

Also this about Hodgson. [emoji38]

“I completely lost my desire to come to work because his training sessions were really hard to get through. Not physically but mentally. It was the same and the same and the same. Day in and day out.

“Often we had eight forwards playing against me and Martin Skrtel [apparently to let Fernando Torres score to regain his confidence]. Skrtel and I had a really hard training session as we were defending against eight with two but the eight players attacking were just faffing around. They had hardly run a kilometre and it was so uninspiring.”

Bloke sounds like a halfwit.

I didn't know they made heels in a Man's 9

I went on a tinder date with a lass recently, knew up front she was 6'1" she was a fucking size 10 foot! Not having a lass who can comfortably wear my sneaks to take the bins out