Rafa Benitez

Anorthernsoul

Bit much at the end though, the comments about him being on par with Keegan. Nowhere near that level yet, though he's probably going to be the closest thing we've had in years. He looked kind of embarrassed by that comment at least though.

Still has plenty to prove.

The championship will be a learning experience for him for a while. He went out in this one too defensively minded.

The championship will be a learning experience for him for a while. He went out in this one too defensively minded.

I don't think they went out with a defensive mentality, it's just that we didn't have anyone on the pitch with any creativity which we have been lacking for many years now not just now. No one two's, triangles around the box...you know, that sort of thing,

Hopefully Diame will add much to the centre of the park as while Hayden was quality, there wasn't a lot to be said for the creativity from there.

Mind you, we also played so narrow that I think we either need to play 10 yards further forward and use the width from the fullbacks, in which case we need to buy a Left Back. Either that or play actual wingers, but if you're playing actual wingers we'll need a threat in the air.

Whatever way we want to play we need to buy a new leftback. I can't believe how many people have told me that Dummett will be ok in this league. The man is fucking useless and wouldn't look good playing for Gateshead. It's looking like the same can be said for Colback and Anita (unless he's playing righback).

Rafa is a cautious manager and I expected this approach on Friday night but I think he went too far playing Hayden, Colback and Anita. None of them really offered anything going forward (Colback didn't offer anything at all) and playing Anita wide meant we lacked balance. With the squad we have currently Aarons has to start on the left and Ritchie on the right. I'm hoping Diame will play alongside Hayden on Saturday too.

Whatever way we want to play we need to buy a new leftback. I can't believe how many people have told me that Dummett will be ok in this league. The man is fucking useless and wouldn't look good playing for Gateshead. It's looking like the same can be said for Colback and Anita (unless he's playing righback).

Rafa is a cautious manager and I expected this approach on Friday night but I think he went too far playing Hayden, Colback and Anita. None of them really offered anything going forward (Colback didn't offer anything at all) and playing Anita wide meant we lacked balance. With the squad we have currently Aarons has to start on the left and Ritchie on the right. I'm hoping Diame will play alongside Hayden on Saturday too.

Was saying to the lads I went with, with the players we had available, we should have played Anita fullback and Janmaat ahead of him. We've seen Vurnon play ok at right back in the division above and we know that Janmaat likes to bomb forward, so wheres the harm? It was no surprise that we didn't create much when we played three defensive midfielders away to Fulham in our first game, but I'm confident that even if Rafa picked that 1st team later in the season we'd create more than we did on Friday.

Was saying to the lads I went with, with the players we had available, we should have played Anita fullback and Janmaat ahead of him. We've seen Vurnon play ok at right back in the division above and we know that Janmaat likes to bomb forward, so wheres the harm? It was no surprise that we didn't create much when we played three defensive midfielders away to Fulham in our first game, but I'm confident that even if Rafa picked that 1st team later in the season we'd create more than we did on Friday.

I think Janmaat would have offered more natural width and been better attacking. Rafa obviously tried them both there pre season and they both scored from that position.

I think there's an element of integrating the new players, in a new league and still with a fairly new manager that all makes a performance like that one understandable. So yes I agree those players would probably do better later on in the season if they were picked together. I'm fairly confident though that baring an injury crisis we won't see that midfield again.

I think Janmaat would have offered more natural width and been better attacking. Rafa obviously tried them both there pre season and they both scored from that position.

I think there's an element of integrating the new players, in a new league and still with a fairly new manager that all makes a performance like that one understandable. So yes I agree those players would probably do better later on in the season if they were picked together. I'm fairly confident though that baring an injury crisis we won't see that midfield again.

I was surprised at how central Ritchie played. A more attacking (or competent) left back would have provided more options from the left flank and I think we'll struggle for balance if we don't go off and sign one. Unless we're waiting for the return of Haidara, who although flawed is more capable going forward than Dummett and his defending won't be under as much pressure as it would be in the Prem.

What is actually wrong with Haidara anyway? I don't think he's played for about a year or something, is he always just injured?

Haidara.png

I really hope we sign a new one but I doubt we will. I think Clark was our last defensive recruit which is the most disapointing thing about his signing for me.

There's rumours about Galloway from Everton who'd be ridiculous in the Championship imo.

Haidara.png

Is that all following on from that horror tackle from Mcmanaman (the first of the three knee injuries I think) or am I misremembering? Is it just bad luck?

Edited by Rayvin

Is that all following on from that horror tackle from Mcmanaman (the first of the three knee injuries I think) or am I misremembering? Is it just bad luck?

No, you're right http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2294944/Callum-McManaman-horror-tackle-Massadio-Haidara-Linesman-Matthew-Wilkes-view-incident.html

He must fucking hate the guy. That tackle clearly was every bit as bad as we thought it was - assuming the follow up issues are recurrences of the same issue, anyway.