Rafa Benitez

Anorthernsoul

Was Aarons not a youth teamer? I thought he was, but I guess we must have just bought him young. Not that he's a regular yet anyway.

Think he's classed as an academy product but we bought him off Bristol City when he was 16. Not really sure you can class that as anything other being one of the rare occaisions when we've taken a punt on a young kid who's actually turned out to look like he has a bit of potential. Even then he's achieved nothing of note.

• 2 weeks later...

Rafa's Facts speech is up there with Cantona kicking that fan in the tits for me. A sensational moment of madness.

Just re-watched it - what about that speech is so off the wall, exactly? I know it was slated as another example of pressure getting to one of Fergie's arch rivals (like the Keegan one) but I don't really see a lot wrong with what he set out.

That said, I didn't pay it much mind at the time and so probably am not aware of the full context.

“The main thing is that the club is in control and we are signing players who are right for this club and for our Championship campaign. It cannot be the other way around.

“We are only interested in bringing players to Newcastle who want to work hard for the club and the team, not players who want to be at another club maybe next year or the year after.

“We are not a stepping stone, we are Newcastle United!

“Every player should be honoured to wear the shirt of this club.

“They should feel the same passion that the fans feel, then you have a great relationship between the players and the supporters in the stadium. It is magical when that happens and it can help us achieve great things together.”

Love Rafa me
Edited by TheGingerQuiff

It's also amazing how easy it is to speak with the right attitude. I understand Pardew was working under difficult circumstances with the board, and that McClaren was, well, just a fucking moron, but just speaking with pride in the club brings the fans on board.