Rafa Benitez

Anorthernsoul

No intention of walking away now, he's an honour guy so wants to get us promoted. I still think he'll definitely be off in the summer though and I don't blame him. Shame you'll still have the Wongaloids burying their head in the sands and coming out with the old support the team and not the regime patter whilst still filling out the ground.

:lol:

Carr must be on some kind of bonus in relation to how much profit we make on players like. That can only explain why he's meddling with Ashley, either that or his ego inflated due to all of the power he had and knew he still had Mike's ear so could have a word about himself being marginalised.

Or he's also missing the brown envelopes he was getting from Mondial Sport Management for recruiting all of their players.

Somebody's missing out regarding mondial sports, though maybe, just maybe Charnley found it easier dealing with them so stuck with them like a 70 year old going to the same shop for their clothes for fifty years as that's what they're comfortable with.

No intention of walking away now, he's an honour guy so wants to get us promoted. I still think he'll definitely be off in the summer though and I don't blame him. Shame you'll still have the Wongaloids burying their head in the sands and coming out with the old support the team and not the regime patter whilst still filling out the ground.

Gillian at Wonga likes the 'wongaloid' post. Pls RT to win a ticket.

Beautiful.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Honestly man.

I've no idea how these people have come to expect so much of Rafa, for a fan base that witnessed what we've witnessed for the last 3-4 years, sides that cannot score, sides that leak goals. We've finally got a team stable enough to absorb some actual pressure and are able to create enough chances to win the vast majority of games we've played this season.

How is a bloke meant to take a side that is as bad as last seasons side, lose a bunch of players (regardless of your views on them) and then be not just good enough to have the side top of the table with the best GD, hammering many sides, but he also has to get a side that regularly forces him to play Colback, Anita, Gouffran, Dummett, etc playing Barcelona style football :lol: the brass neck on some of these people man.  "weyy look man, I kna we're top of the league and that reet but aaaaahl ahm sayin is wuh need to be lookin betta when we dee it man"

The best bit about that article is he's essentially saying look Benitez is a top manager and these shit managers did similar jobs playing better football (in his opinion, I skimmed it mind he may not have said that exactly) but then spends the next 4 paragraphs sounding like the mackems did when we hired him, "ahh well he got sacked by Madrid, his time at Inter wasn't amazing". So which is he? a top manager that you're expecting a load more from because of what other lesser managers have accomplished, or a bloke past his best that you're implying isn't up to snuff? What a shambles, just get rid of him now and get some utter fucking twat like Allardyce, Kinnear, McClaren, Pardew, etc in and we can all go back to getting battered 3-0 every week.

I also mentioned above the players we lost, that to me is something people don't bring up much. I know Sissoko is wank and Janmaat isn't doing well at Watford but Wijnaldum is quietly having a cracking season at Liverpool (he played an utterly quality lofted pass to Firminho against Man City that should have resulted in a goal for Lallana) and he's exactly the player we've been missing in the number 10 role. I know he was a bit lackluster at times for us and seemed frustrated by what was around him at times but Rafa  would have definitely got him closer to the level he's playing now than what McClaren got out of him. Instead Rafa couldn't hold onto him and had to replace him with whatever he could attract, which ended up being Diame who as we all know isn't really doing it despite a good season for Hull last season.

This bit man:
"Whilst I’ve been impressed in the past with his tactical re-organising after every goal instead of celebrating or enjoying the moment, that always working, always focussed attitude has slowly dehumanised the man. We are watching a team in his mould and without true success I’ll always be somewhat cold to someone who views the game as an event on the Krypton Factor" 

Jesus wept, so this bloke would prefer that utter cunt Pardew samba dancing after a goal? attacking officials? headbutting opposition players? Pashhhun. What a crock of shite man, who is this manager he is implying he wants? Because I'll tell you now the only level of manager above Benitez is managers currently at CL sides, and I'd probably put him above a few of them in all.

He also goes on a weird tangent about sides having the ball are the ones that usually win, haven't we controlled the ball in the majority of games? It seems to me he's restricting his sample size to Huddersfield, Brighton and Reading games, he should also bear in mind that we won 2 and drew one of them all away from home. Long fucking post I know but honestly man I'm sick to my back teeth of hearing the nonsense that is being spouted along these lines. I've always defended our fanbase against that deluded tag but people like that make me finally think that must be the bloke these people that think we're deluded have met. 

He also claims Armstrong has 4 goals during his little rant about our lot not being good enough (again how is this Benitez's fault? and why are we moaning about an issue that hasn't even came to pass yet?) but Armstrong has 5 goals and 3 assists from 19 starts, do I think he'll cut it for us long term? nah but the bloke could at least get the lads goals right if he's going to write an article slagging him off.

Tldr, fans like that are why we don't get nice things.

Edited by Howay

Are you confident of winning promotion to the Premier League?

I have to be. This group of players have been working so hard that they deserve to win promotion but we know there still is a long way to go.

April is a very important month, with seven games and 21 points to play for we must stay focused and also calm.

Why can’t Newcastle replicate their away form at home?

Teams play differently at home and away. When teams come to St James’ Park they often can come with a defensive approach so it can be more difficult to break them down sometimes. But we have five games at home to improve and I’m convinced we will do it.

How can the fans help in the final eight games?

Our fans have been magnificent during the whole season, they are incredible.

Now we have reached the final stage of the season it is the time to be even better, if they can. They can help with their support of our players. Even if we make mistakes the key is to help the players to try again, to be sure they have the confidence and support to succeed in these final eight games.

Do you think the atmosphere at home games makes it difficult for the players? Or are you pleased with it?

Our supporters deserve the greatest respect this season. They always amaze us with their passion and their commitment at home and away.

But it is true in all things in life, that those closest to you can often be the most critical. That is normal, they have earned the right to criticise and criticism is important for improvement.

However at this stage of the season, with so much at stake, encouragement can help the players achieve better results. A positive atmosphere is very helpful for the players, they take the energy from the stands and use it raise their game.

It is also up to us to lift our fans by playing better. As I said before, all of us must be united.

We are together in this race, we are at our strongest when we are united. The fans, the players, the staff – all of us helping to achieve our shared goal.

Why do you not play with two up front more often? Is it something you will try?

It depends on the players in the squad, who is fit, who is training well (and) which team we are facing. If you play two up front, you have to consider how that could that affect the strength of your midfield, there are lots of things to think about when we select our team and formation.

We have done this in some games but to play with two strikers could be negative if that means you lose the control in other parts of the pitch.

I would ask people to consider that we are at the top of the table, scoring more goals than any other team in the division and conceding less than the others - to change our shape it could be right, or maybe not. What we are doing is working.

Some fans say that you are too cautious: do you think this is true?

As I said before we are top of the table and we score more goals than any other team in the division and don’t concede many - our goal difference is 38 at the moment. You just have to look at our statistics and compare them to the other teams in this division.

It would be a mistake to think that we are always able to run at teams and get the victory because of the quality in our squad. There are many other teams in this division with great strength and quality.

Some people could look at our game plan away at Huddersfield and say it was too cautious, and that we should be pressing from the first minute to get the win.

But our approach to sit back and let them come at us was the best tactic for that particular game. Football management means considering every opponent and every game in isolation and deciding what is the best way to win each game.

Are you confident the club has a bright future?

Yes, this is a big club and we can have a very bright future I’m sure. The fans are incredible, the stadium is superb, the staff, everything is in place to allow this club to achieve great things.

But first we have to reach the target, we have to remain focused on only one thing and that is securing promotion.

We can’t make the mistakes of the past and start running without walking first. If everyone can stick together and help the team go up then we can talk about the future. Then we have the chance to dream.

Will you be doing more off-the-field things at the club in the near future?

Yes, it is important to me and my staff that the club has a strong and warm connection with the city and with the local community. Our players and staff attend regular events in the community and we have been to many this season.

There will be many more to come in the future, but as everybody can understand now it is time to focus on the remaining games of the season.
Edited by ewerk

Martin Hardy thinks he's staying. :up:

Rafa Benitez is set to stay at Newcastle next season, with the club on the brink of an immediate return to the Premier League.

Newcastle moved 10 points clear of third-placed Huddersfield at the top of the Championship table with their 2-1 victory at St James’ Park yesterday, with just seven games left in the campaign.

Benitez will be handed the funds to strengthen his squad in the summer and looks set to retain the same level of control he enjoyed following relegation, when he was allowed to rebuild the first team squad.

The move will be enough to convince the 56-year-old that he can build on the success he has enjoyed in his first full season at the club, thus ending the interest of West Ham, who lost again yesterday at Hull.

Benitez has told friends he is happy at St James’ Park, feels wanted and believes the club can grow into one capable of challenging for a European place over time, if the correct structure is in place.

The Spaniard had been undermined in the January transfer window, when moves for Andros Townsend and James McCarthy were blocked. The former Liverpool, Real Madrid and Valencia manager believed he would be given the finances to continue rebuilding the side, following relegation last summer, after raising £30 million in his transfer dealings.

However, increased involvement from the chief scout Graham Carr and the Newcastle owner Mike Ashley led to major concerns about whether Benitez would see out the remaining two years of the three-year deal he signed last summer.

The Spaniard was deeply unhappy at the unforeseen change in control at the top of the club. Previously he had been given the final say on transfers, along with the managing director Lee Charnley.

That provoked suggestion he would leave at the end of the season and he refused to commit beyond this campaign when he was asked at the start of February.

However, he is set to regain the control that proved successful last summer, when Newcastle overhauled their dressing room, and raised almost £90 million through the sale of players, including £30 million for Moussa Sissoko and £25 million for Georginio Wijnaldum and spent near to £60 million to fashion a squad that now looks set for promotion.

I really think Carr should just retire now, the longer he stays the higher the risk of Rafa getting pissed off. If Carr isn't there, no one can 'undermine' him. No one with any concept of football, anyway.

I really think Carr should just have a terminal heart attack now, the longer he stays alive the higher the risk of Rafa getting pissed off. If Carr isn't there, no one can 'undermine' him. No one with any concept of football, anyway.

FYP.