Rafa Benitez

Anorthernsoul

I'm pretty sure there was a period last summer where everyone thought he'd already gone. Then he suddenly resurfaced. And it definitely sounds like he was muttering in Ashley's ear over signings in Jan.

Funny thing is that he did make some good signings. But even if, for example, Riviere was recommended as a backup, what kind of backup is that?

I wonder if it's more like the less you spend, the more of a gamble it is.  So it's not simply that Rivière was never going to be good enough, but that he had maybe 20% chance of adapting and succeeding in the Premiership.

Number picked at random out of my arse, obviously.

There's something in that, adios. What didn't help was that he got almost all of his signings right to begin with (Cabaye, Tiote, Ben Arfa, Remy, Ba) and almost all of them wrong towards the end (Cabella, Thauvin, Riviere, Doumbia etc). There are all kinds of reasons for that, and a lot of caveats to it as well, but while I'm willing to accept there will always be a number of transfers that don't come off, we were left with a squad that was woefully ill-equipped in our last two seasons in the PL. Whether that was more to do with the remit Ashley gave him or his own judgement, I'm not so sure.

Martin Hardy thinks he's staying. :up:

Rafa Benitez is set to stay at Newcastle next season, with the club on the brink of an immediate return to the Premier League.

Newcastle moved 10 points clear of third-placed Huddersfield at the top of the Championship table with their 2-1 victory at St James’ Park yesterday, with just seven games left in the campaign.

Benitez will be handed the funds to strengthen his squad in the summer and looks set to retain the same level of control he enjoyed following relegation, when he was allowed to rebuild the first team squad.

The move will be enough to convince the 56-year-old that he can build on the success he has enjoyed in his first full season at the club, thus ending the interest of West Ham, who lost again yesterday at Hull.

Benitez has told friends he is happy at St James’ Park, feels wanted and believes the club can grow into one capable of challenging for a European place over time, if the correct structure is in place.

The Spaniard had been undermined in the January transfer window, when moves for Andros Townsend and James McCarthy were blocked. The former Liverpool, Real Madrid and Valencia manager believed he would be given the finances to continue rebuilding the side, following relegation last summer, after raising £30 million in his transfer dealings.

However, increased involvement from the chief scout Graham Carr and the Newcastle owner Mike Ashley led to major concerns about whether Benitez would see out the remaining two years of the three-year deal he signed last summer.

The Spaniard was deeply unhappy at the unforeseen change in control at the top of the club. Previously he had been given the final say on transfers, along with the managing director Lee Charnley.

That provoked suggestion he would leave at the end of the season and he refused to commit beyond this campaign when he was asked at the start of February.

However, he is set to regain the control that proved successful last summer, when Newcastle overhauled their dressing room, and raised almost £90 million through the sale of players, including £30 million for Moussa Sissoko and £25 million for Georginio Wijnaldum and spent near to £60 million to fashion a squad that now looks set for promotion.

:good:

This was the concern when he got his 8 year contract with Pardew. Can't see Ashley settling the balance or Carr walking away from it.

We need Crystal palace to decide he's the man for them and pay us to take him. But I think he's here till 2020.

Aye it's fucking killing them like, caught in between two of their ridiculous notions at the minute. It'll be definitely on the "he'll be away marra ftm" next season when we comfortably survive but it seems some of them are still desperate to call him shite.

I'm not even going to act like they did when we go down I'm saying it now but I'm going to massively enjoy seeing their disastrous season unfold next season, 0-0 with Burton Albion at home season opener.

Owt more been said about the bother they'll be in financially if they go down? I'd search but I'll let Fish do it for me, he loves that caper.

Couple of people bring it up a fair amount, but I don't think the message is getting through to the majority. 

They've fuck all commercial income, fuck all saleable assets, there's not even a guarantee they'll get the same kind of crowds in the 2nd tier. So once the tv money goes their massive wages will have to be slashed, which will likely mean dumping a shit load of players for little return.

If the fans desert them because of uninspiring player recruitment, Moyes' less than inspiring rallying calls, a bad start... if they don't come back in big numbers they'll see matchday revenue plummet. 

They don't have the players to sell that we did, the established squad that Norwich have, or the owner willing to throw £50m at the problem like Villa.

If they don't get up next season, they could be down there for a very long time.

I don't think their match day income is anywhere near what it should be compared to their attendances so I don't think that would have the financial impact you'd think. Obviously, that is small fry anyway compared to loss of TV money coupled with the external debt and the fact that it looks their owner isn't likely to be putting any more money in himself. I'd say smaller attendances would have more of a psychological impact on whatever team they'll put together next year than a financial one.

I don't think their match day income is anywhere near what it should be compared to their attendances so I don't think that would have the financial impact you'd think. Obviously, that is small fry anyway compared to loss of TV money coupled with the external debt and the fact that it looks their owner isn't likely to be putting any more money in himself. I'd say smaller attendances would have more of a psychological impact on whatever team they'll put together next year than a financial one.

I was thinking about the matchday revenue recieved from food and beer stalls. Surely they must sell a lot of snacks, given the debris flying round the pitch?

Longer term low attendances could be crippling; hard to attract sponsors, players, tv cameras. No fucker wants to watch an empty ground. 

• 2 weeks later...

334lqig.jpg

"This is my third promotion, so I have some experience."

"But the Championship is so hard because you have to play so many games, and it is so physical."

"It is very difficult to play three games in a week, and you have to recover."

"You have injuries, and it is not easy."

"The division is totally different, you have to change half your squad (after relegation)."

"You have to perform and win, and keep all the fans behind the team."

"It has been a fantastic season, and we have to enjoy it for at least a couple of days."

"We will try our best to win the title now."

"We will play Cardiff and then see where we are, but we have achieved what we wanted to achieve."

"After the first two games, people were asking us, ‘Do you want to be champions or will you be happy just to go up’."

"Yes, we are happy."

"Credit to Brighton because they are a good team."

"But they have had the last four or five years in the play-offs so they have the experience and squad for this division."

"We have had to put everything together quickly, but we did it."

"So I say credit to our players, our staff and everyone in the club."

"Some people don’t realise how difficult it is when you go to play against teams who are in the middle of the table and playing for nothing, but they still fight and compete because they are playing against Newcastle United, who are the top side in the division."

“Or when they come here with 52,000 fans, and they run and work so hard."

"It has been like that for every single game against us. We watched some teams and thought it might be easy against them, but then they were running double because they were playing us."

"It was more difficult than ever, and we have had that situation every single week."

"There have been some decisions I haven’t liked too much, so that has meant we have had to keep going, work hard and be strong mentally."

"But even when there were signs of anxiety, we reacted well."

2cmup34.jpg

:nufc: