Rafa Benitez

Anorthernsoul

we had £45m cash in the bank at the start of the season when we spent £80m.

Assuming the same income but nowt in the bank we could therefore spend £35m.

But, TV money is at least £20m more, so there's £55m.

And we're meant to be getting £10m a year for Sissoko and Wijnaldum, so there's £65m.

Then there's the new shirt deal, which should be a few million more than the Wonga one.

Should get some wedge out of Thauvin?  De Jong?  Krul?

http://www.toontastic.net/board/topic/36253-championship-run-in/page-7#entry1466571

My guess is Luke Edwards reads me, rather than having the inside track ;)

http://www.toontastic.net/board/topic/36253-championship-run-in/page-7#entry1466571

My guess is Luke Edwards reads me, rather than having the inside track ;)

Except you won't answer my very simple question!

You're accounting for cash not yet received. We had £1.7m in the bank at the end of last season. How are we going to pay out £70m up front on players before we receive the TV money without Ashley putting more money in?

True.

I suppose the other thing here is that if we spent the money we'd have at the end of this year, we're always playing catch up. Maybe this is what Charnley was getting at, maybe we have to consolidate this year and spend next year :(

Partly and partly due to the fact that banks don't hand out huge overdrafts like that to football clubs and certainly not without security.

The TV money guaranteed at the end of the season would be security.

We used a £20m overdraft in full last time we got promoted.

We've not spent on new signings before we had the money before, so I'm inclined to agree that it wouldn't line up with previous patterns, however, we've never had rafa threatening to walk before either so the amount is just what could conceivably be spent without extending the long term debt.

Just looking at net spend this season in the PL - a few interesting takeaways:

1) Man City - £151m

2) Man United - £117m

3) Arsenal - £87m

4) Crystal Palace - £43m

5) Burnley - £37m

6) West Ham - £36m

7) Boro - £33m

8) Stoke - £30m

9) Tottenham - £26m

10) Leicester - £22m

Intriguing that both Burnley and Boro realised they had to spend quite a lot to try and get a footing in the PL. Even Hull spent £10m.

But, though I imagine spending will again increase this year, £70m would clearly have us being pretty competitive. Should be enough to convince Rafa to stay if it's true.

One other titbit - I'm more appreciative of what Jurgen Klopp's doing given they apparently made a £4m profit on player sales...

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/premier-league/transfers/wettbewerb/GB1

1) Man City - £151m

2) Man United - £117m

3) Arsenal - £87m

4) Crystal Palace - £43m

5) Burnley - £37m

6) West Ham - £36m

7) Boro - £33m

8) Stoke - £30m

9) Tottenham - £26m

10) Leicester - £22m

Intriguing that both Burnley and Boro realised they had to spend quite a lot to try and get a footing in the PL. Even Hull spent £10m.

But, though I imagine spending will again increase this year, £70m would clearly have us being pretty competitive. Should be enough to convince Rafa to stay if it's true.

One other titbit - I'm more appreciative of what Jurgen Klopp's doing given they apparently made a £4m profit on player sales...

Bear in mind Karanka and Dyche had longer to build their squad than Benitez has. So while their net spend this season is sizeable, that's on top of previous windows. 

1) Man City - £151m

2) Man United - £117m

3) Arsenal - £87m

4) Crystal Palace - £43m

5) Burnley - £37m

6) West Ham - £36m

7) Boro - £33m

8) Stoke - £30m

9) Tottenham - £26m

10) Leicester - £22m

What about gross? 

Except you won't answer my very simple question!

You're accounting for cash not yet received. We had £1.7m in the bank at the end of last season. How are we going to pay out £70m up front on players before we receive the TV money without Ashley putting more money in?

Wonga loan ?

Well, it was great having him here and I hope he gets a good send off at the weekend ;)

Great manager, such a shame we got him during the Ashley era.