Rafa Benitez

Anorthernsoul

7 minutes ago, trooper said:

How many said that before he joined us ?

Probably no one, that would have been a really wierd thing to say.

• Like 1

Just now, trooper said:

i think you'll find quiet a few didnt think we could get a manager given the calibre of the last set i.e. Carver ,McClatren & Pardew

If you can show me where anyone said "Rafa is not going to leave us for West Ham ffs." before Benitez was even our manager I'll eat my hat

Just reading an article .com  Rafa was paid a visit by Lee Charnley, Keith Bishop & Justin Barnes after the West Ham game. They apparently turned up on Ashley's behalf & told Rafa he has to stop talking about the transfer budget in the media. If this is what it's got too it's never going to end well no matter how much Rafa loves the fans, players etc. Again if its true what a way to treat a 11st class manager this really is looking like the Keegan fiasco all over again. Will the fans accept it this time ?

Edited by trooper

May 2008:

A lengthy meeting in London involving manager Kevin Keegan, Mike Ashley and Dennis Wise concluded with civil handshakes rather than final farewells.

Keegan had been summoned to the Fleet Street offices of the international law firm Freshfields - where Chris Mort, Newcastle's chairman remains a partner on indefinite leave of absence - by Ashley, the club's owner, after making some provocative comments.

While Newcastle's manager had made it clear he would not resign there were suggestions that he could possibly be sacked but, instead, Keegan, who is believed to have offered Ashley an apology, emerged still in charge and with a truce negotiated.

Nonetheless it is understood that there were flashpoints and moments of real tension between Ashley, Wise and Keegan and that Mort's renowned diplomatic skills proved essential to procuring a satisfactory outcome.

Ashley was reportedly angered by his manager's sarcastic assertion that their relationship was good because they never spoke....

Now sensitive topics including transfer targets, funding and the division of club duties are said to have been "mapped out" for Keegan...

It's alright bringing Ashley's history up but for balance Rafa has a bit of history of this sort of thing as well. The article says an amicable way forward was agreed so maybe you're fearing the worst. Bird's use of inverted commas saying he'd been told to "shut up and get on with the job" without attributing a quote to anybody is a bit misleading as well.

We won't get a manager of his calibre again irrespective of how he leaves. People say he's the best manager we've had for 10 years or whatever but he's not, he's comfortably the most capable manager we've ever had. If he was operating in the same market that Keegan or SBR were then we'd have won trophies

If he'd been allowed to follow his project through within a couple of seasons we could have seen European football again or have won the league cup or fa cup but because the owner doesn't share Rafa's ambition (he said he did to get Rafa to stay) i feel he's surplus to requirements he's done his bit promotion thats all Ashley ever wanted. Now he's done that he's getting nudged out the door. In reality there was probably no "Project" in Ashley's eyes & he probaly told Rafa what he wanted to hear with no intention of helping him make it happen the premiership & big money was all was interested in it makes me sick.

Nothing has happened yet and Ashley won't sack him. I doubt he'll walk either. Most likely scenario is that another club come in for him.

Either way let's just enjoy it while he's here.

It really is a cunt being a Newcastle fan these days.  Always waiting for the other shoe to drop.

"When will Ashley push Benitez too far", and watching an awesome display from a new player like Merino, "where will he be playing next season?"

Apologies for any depression caused.

43 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

Nothing has happened yet and Ashley won't sack him. I doubt he'll walk either. Most likely scenario is that another club come in for him.

Either way let's just enjoy it while he's here.

It's hard to enjoy when the writings on the wall & there's a ticking time bomb waiting to go off. One off them needs to back down can you see that happening ?(

49 minutes ago, trooper said:

It's hard to enjoy when the writings on the wall & there's a ticking time bomb waiting to go off. One off them needs to back down can you see that happening ?(

Yes, they're both grown men at the end of the day. I'm sure they'll sort it out since it's in both of their best interests as long as they're both here.

2 hours ago, trooper said:

You need to pop some Prozac, dude. Life's too short