Rafa Benitez

Anorthernsoul

6 hours ago, Rayvin said:

A decent number of Arsenal fans think they should go for him. And also that they would have no trouble prizing him away.

Well he didn’t exactly commit himself to us today.

’Leverage’.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/apr/22/rafael-benitez-mike-ashley-newcastle-united

Rafael Benítez seeks backing from Mike Ashley before extending Newcastle stay

Manager warns he cannot always perform ‘miracles’ every year
Club expected to finish in the top half despite inexperienced squad

Rafael Benítez Newcastle United manager

Rafael Benítez has warned Mike Ashley that the Newcastle United owner should not expect him to perform “miracles” every season and made it clear he will need convincing that his ambitions can be met on Tyneside before extending a contract now entering its final year.

Newcastle head to Everton on Monday night, safe from relegation and on course for a top-10 finish following four successive wins. Considering the shallowness and inexperience of Benítez’s squad that represents a significant achievement for a team promoted only last spring but the former Liverpool and Real Madrid manager now wants to raise the bar appreciably and try to win trophies on Tyneside.

Before agreeing a new deal, Benítez will demand assurances that Ashley feels the same way. “If they [Ashley’s representatives] want to talk to my people [about a new contract] they can talk,” the 58-year-old said. “The main thing is to be sure we share the same ambition.

“I want to win games and I want to win trophies and I want to have the tools to be capable of competing. At the same time. I like to improve players, coach players, follow a business plan, a realistic business plan in modern football. I have no problem with that because I did it in the past.

“We have to be sure to have all the tools to compete and achieve what we want to achieve because Newcastle is a massive football club and we want it to reach its potential.”

The fear is that Ashley will be content with this season’s mid-table finish and believe that Benítez can improve on it with similarly limited resources next term. “I cannot do miracles every year,” the Spaniard said. “You need the tools to be sure you can do your job, to be sure you can win. It’s not just ‘oh, the manager is calm, he has vast experience,’ because I don’t play. We need experience on the pitch. We can improve a lot of things.

“My objective is not to finish ninth, it is to win titles and cups. To be in the top four, to win trophies, to win the league, or whatever, that’s I want to do. Not just survive or finish in mid-table. I want to be sure we can fight for trophies.”

4 minutes ago, TheGingerQuiff said:

He'll sign a new deal this summer

Only if Ashley gives him what he needs this time. He's achieved to phases of his project with little investment for him to push on & complete phase 3 he needs some financial backing with out it i think he'll be off. As CT says there'll be plenty sniffing round for his services. The ball is in Ashleys court.

I think the club will make enough money in the PL, and by being a tightly run ship in general by Ashley, that there should be enough for Rafa to spend going forward. It depends on what he thinks he needs, but it's hard to imagine him thinking that the club is going to (or indeed should be) spending £100m each season.

We need to sort out a new contract for him this summer either way.

Asked now if he can ‘trust’ Mike Ashley, Rafa Benitez took the diplomatic route and instead said ‘I think the answer is…that Everton is the next game, and I have to prepare for that’.

1 hour ago, ewerk said:

I can't see him signing anything until the transfer window is closed.

Aye, maybe it's the takeover that Quiff is hinting at.

31 minutes ago, adios said:

Aye, maybe it's the takeover that Quiff is hinting at.

Nah I think any signings will want assurances over Benitez's future so they'll sort something out before then. There'll likely be stuff in it to protect him from getting fucked over though

Benitez has drive & ambition & wants to win trophies. Ashley couldnt give a shit as long as we're in the Premiership & he's getting his free fortnightly worldwide advertising for SD..

1 minute ago, trooper said:

Benitez has drive & ambition & wants to win trophies. Ashley couldnt give a shit as long as we're in the Premiership & he's getting his free fortnightly worldwide advertising for SD..

If he can achieve success on a sensible business model I think he'd opt for that rather than not opt for it

31 minutes ago, TheGingerQuiff said:

Nah I think any signings will want assurances over Benitez's future so they'll sort something out before then. There'll likely be stuff in it to protect him from getting fucked over though

Good point.  I guess Mandy better get things sorted quickly.

4 hours ago, adios said:

Good point.  I guess Mandy better get things sorted quickly.

I think that ship sailed into the sunset when Ashley publicly called them timewasters