Rafa Benitez

Anorthernsoul

https://www.themag.co.uk/2019/04/rafa-benitez-says-hed-rather-stay-at-home-than-accept-what-mike-ashley-is-offering-newcastle-united/

Rafa Benitez:

“What I want is a job where I can enjoy competing.

“If I cannot…maybe I have to stay at home and wait (for another one), I don’t know.

“But at the moment, my idea is to have a team that can compete.

“When I decided to stay here in the Championship, it was to compete to go back to the Premier League and try to be in the top ten, and after, try to go to Europe.

5 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

The indie reckons he’ll be offered £50m per season before player sales. Not exactly the kind of budget to push for CL

Even if he was offered £50 million he'd have to incorporate agents fees & the players wage bill for the whole term of his contract. He'd probably end up with a couple of Joselu's out of £50 million

the only team that could realistically match rafas ambition, that don’t have a settled manager, and could possibly attack the top 6 is Everton. It would be pretty strange if he went there. So if he leaves us, it will be abroad imo.

I reckon it could well be Man Utd. Clear upgrade on Solskjaer and the kind of club that wants a long term management project.

£50m, if true, is about all he can expect from a club at our level. I mean that sounds like a reasonable slice of the TV money.

16 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

I reckon it could well be Man Utd. Clear upgrade on Solskjaer and the kind of club that wants a long term management project.

£50m, if true, is about all he can expect from a club at our level. I mean that sounds like a reasonable slice of the TV money.

No chance :lol: They've got this delusion about playing the Man Utd way going on, plus Rafa's lass is settled on merseyside - where he'd go from hero to villain over night

Thing is, if he got £50m plus whatever he makes from player sales, that's enough to get Newcastle United a consistent top 10 side and challenge in the cups etc.

I just do not believe that he'd actually get that much, and he wouldn't have free reign to sign whoever he wants with that £50m. 

Say we sold Shelvey, Hayden & Murphy. What would we get? £30-40m? £90m is plenty on transfer fees. But I doubt Benitez would get the £50m, I'm convinced that £50m would include wages, agent fees and the like and I am convinced that wouldn't be allocated immediately so we'd get the same situation we saw with Almiron where we have to wait until deadline day in January for the deal to be finalised.

• Like 2

On 4/20/2019 at 06:41, Dr Gloom said:

The indie reckons he’ll be offered £50m per season before player sales. Not exactly the kind of budget to push for CL

That's the story this week by the time the summer transfer window opens it will be another story entirely.

25 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Thing is, if he got £50m plus whatever he makes from player sales, that's enough to get Newcastle United a consistent top 10 side and challenge in the cups etc.

I just do not believe that he'd actually get that much, and he wouldn't have free reign to sign whoever he wants with that £50m. 

Say we sold Shelvey, Hayden & Murphy. What would we get? £30-40m? £90m is plenty on transfer fees. But I doubt Benitez would get the £50m, I'm convinced that £50m would include wages, agent fees and the like and I am convinced that wouldn't be allocated immediately so we'd get the same situation we saw with Almiron where we have to wait until deadline day in January for the deal to be finalised.

Agreed, I think another issue we have is that if we were to get Rondon (which we won’t) that’ll come from this £50m, so say he was £16m and they gave him £50k a week for 3 year deal that’s basically £24m of the £50m budget already gone just to stand still. 

Just now, Howay said:

Agreed, I think another issue we have is that if we were to get Rondon (which we won’t) that’ll come from this £50m, so say he was £16m and they gave him £50k a week for 3 year deal that’s basically £24m of the £50m budget already gone just to stand still. 

Aye, and if we sold Gayle to WBA for £16m to pay for Rondon, Charnley and Ashley wouldn't include the money saved on DG's wages in the pot for Benitez. 

• Like 1

I don’t believe Rafa will get anything like 50m because Ashley and co are liars. We’ve seen what they’re like over many years and once they have a settled manager they starve him of cash. I doubt Rafa will stay tbh, he wont receive any promises worth wiping his arse on

This £50 million that's being talked about would probably be split into 2 windows giving Rafa £25 million per window. This would be to buy players, pay the full term wage bill & any agents fees. They're taking the piss out of the bloke. 

• Like 1

“When you talk about quality, how much does quality cost?

"And how much will you pay in wages for these quality players? £120,000 a week? £150,000 a week? Or will you pay £50,000 a week? What does quality mean?

"Balance is the key, and you have to be sensible with that balance. You have to be realistic, but we have to find this balance.

"We have to compete with the teams that are between seventh and 10th, not think: ‘Can we finish seventh or can we finish 17th?’ I think that is a big difference.

“At the moment, we don’t have any issues about any [specific] players because I have not had any conversations. We have had to wait, but what I say is very clear.

"Until June 30, I am the manager, and I have to decide if we sign anyone or not. I cannot decide some other things, but when it comes to that, yes, I decide. So we have to sit down any time and see where we are.

"Does it have to be soon? Yes, obviously. Because if you want to sign players, you have to go early, and if you want to sign the best players, you have to go even earlier. Even with young players, we can talk and talk, but the main thing is what you do."

“Dubravka won the Manchester United game for us last year, and he is not 24. Rondon has been crucial this year – these players can give the other players more time to grow and improve.

"I don’t need to talk too much about that because it is very clear for everyone. We need to decide. Do we want to go one way or another way? Do we want to challenge to be seventh, or do we want to challenge to be 17th and see what happens? That is it.

“It is not what we say, it is what we do. I don’t care about what we say, the main thing is what we do. The teams in seventh, eighth and ninth spend £100million and pay £100,000 a week.

"So what do we want to do? Do we want to compete in this range, or do we want to survive? That is it. That is what we have to decide."

“I have not had any answers, so I want to know what their answers are. If I have the answers, then I can decide," Benitez added.

“The main thing for me is not what we think or say, it is what we do. Everything is about money. If you sign a player like Richarlison for £45m, then you have to pay a certain amount in wages.

"We have to be able to compete. The way that we are, we have to be competing against Everton, but they are competing to be seventh and to go to Europe. If they are paying £140,000 a week in wages, how can you compete with them and attract players if you do not do the same?

"Even if you are willing to pay a big transfer fee, you have to be willing to pay the wages. Balance is the key. You can do things at this age, this price - Ki [Sung-yueng] is playing for us and was a free transfer, and is doing well."

“I will not say what we have to do. I just want to know what we want to do, and after that we have to decide. I will not force anyone to make any decisions," he continued.

“I will not say to anyone what they have to do. I have been in teams without too much money and winning trophies. Not just competing, winning trophies.

"Different teams, but more or less with the same money, against top sides, and winning trophies. I have some experience, and I know what I have to do with or without money. But I want to know where we are. That is it.

"Where do we want to go? What is our ambition? If we cannot compete with other teams in transfer fees and wages, fine. We have to say that. But it doesn’t matter what we say, it is what we do."

Edited by ewerk