Rafa Benitez

Anorthernsoul

2 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

Which bits? Mostly it just reads like he wants clarity IMO.

Oh I don't think he wants to leave, just get the feeling that it's going to turn into a stand-off. Media already reporting that we're drawing up a shortlist of new managers which could be made up or could be posturing to call his bluff

I think he stayed this season because he assumed that he could either convince them to spend or that he'd have more to play with by virtue of the club generating more money. I've no doubt that they'll be using the Almiron transfer as an excuse to not spend in the summer. It's basically the same situation as 12/13 when we signed a load of players in January and then signed nobody in the summer.

• Like 1

One of the things Rafa wants are the training facilities brought up to scratch. Yet Charnley seemed to rule that out last week with his "did the training facilities ever put a player off signing for Newcastle United? No" statement 

1 hour ago, trooper said:

One of the things Rafa wants are the training facilities brought up to scratch. Yet Charnley seemed to rule that out last week with his "did the training facilities ever put a player off signing for Newcastle United? No" statement 

I bet he’s put a few off signing 

3 hours ago, Rayvin said:

It really doesn't sound to me like he wants to leave.

Don't think that's ever been in question. He obviously wants to stay, and if we had an owner with a modicum of ambition, this wouldn't have been an issue at all. 

We've got the money to pay competitive wages, we've got the money to pay competitive fees, we've got the manager (and renown) to attract the standard of player that would command that kind of outlay. 

What's the prize money difference between the league positions? About £2m? So finish 7th instead of 17th gets you about £20m. Tv fees were £12.3m plus 'being on tv loads' money for about £1m a pop after the first 10 featured games. I'm sure we've been on the tv more times than any club outside the top 6. That's another £17m or so. Naturally if we were competing for cups instead of abandoning them asap, we'd get tv money for those as well. Sponsors would be more willing to tolerate a light association with Sports Direct if Newcastle were a progressive, ambitious brand. 

I'm all for running the club's finances well, but it's a football club. As with all clubs, ambition is it's raison d'etre. Stagnant clubs will hemorrhage fans, sponsors, and league position. You have to be wilfully ignorant to not see this. Speculation from a sound financial footing is the best way to improve fortunes on and off the pitch.

3 hours ago, trooper said:

It’s a typical statement in line with the attempt to prove why decent cup runs are not good for a club.

I doubt any players would reject a club because of the facilities anyway but the point is that decent facilities and a visible demonstration of a clubs ambition could persuade reluctant players to sign for a club. 

2 minutes ago, Isegrim said:

It’s a typical statement in line with the attempt to prove why decent cup runs are not good for a club.

I doubt any players would reject a club because of the facilities anyway but the point is that decent facilities and a visible demonstration of a clubs ambition could persuade reluctant players to sign for a club. 

Aye, and it's missing the point that having facilities that are fit for purpose aren't a luxury, they're a fucking necessity.

1 hour ago, essembeeofsunderland said:

The training facilities were an absolute joke when Keegan was manager. Neebody complained then, neither fans nor players. Fuck me, they're not training amongst the cow shit on the Town Moor. In the 60s i used to watch them train on concrete in front of the main stand. 

You’re a special kind of stupid, aren’t you?

2 hours ago, essembeeofsunderland said:

The training facilities were an absolute joke when Keegan was manager. Neebody complained then, neither fans nor players. Fuck me, they're not training amongst the cow shit on the Town Moor. In the 60s i used to watch them train on concrete in front of the main stand. 

In football everything went downhill when they banned square goal posts imho.

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, essembeeofsunderland said:

Can’t imagine why you voted Leave 

13 hours ago, essembeeofsunderland said:

How old are you pretending to be now?

• Haha 1

Penny farthings on the street, riding.
Motor cars were funny things, frightening.
Bow and hoops and spinning tops.
Penny dreadfuls, lollipops.
Comic Cuts, all different things.

• Haha 5