Rafa Benitez

Anorthernsoul

I can't help but think that the way this scenario is  being dragged out, Rafa will probably reluctantly leave  because of Ashley's dilatory approach to reality, and Charnley's ineptness in doing business.

Can't help but think the take-over may be mythical because of no concrete evidence that there has actually been a bid made. If an offer of 350 million has really been made you'd think Ashley would snap it up and laugh all the way to the bank, and the takeover would be progressing swiftly.

If the Sheikdom are for real, and have made an offer, you'd think they would be making overtures to keep Rafa on board, but no gossip leaks as there usually is.

Maybe the deal is a week away from being completed? Maybe the new owners have already been in touch with Rafa and told him to sit tight?

At this stage we should maybe refrain from shitting our keks, though I understand for you Noelie that is a pre-existing condition.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, TheGingerQuiff said:

:lol: I feel a bit sorry for Pards, nobody will go anywhere near him after his West Brom performance. He still speaks highly of his time here which I think is big of him tbh, there's plenty who have had our supporters wrath to a lesser extent than he did and carry a much bigger chip around

Don’t pity the king. 

4 minutes ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

Aye, that's where I am with it as well. And that means there's only one thing for it: a mental 6 months with Gattuso at the helm.

Sometimes maybe good sometimes maybe shit

Edited by 247

5 hours ago, ewerk said:

Maybe the deal is a week away from being completed? Maybe the new owners have already been in touch with Rafa and told him to sit tight?

At this stage we should maybe refrain from shitting our keks, though I understand for you Noelie that is a pre-existing condition.

tbh I am with ewerk here.

A £350m deal isnt going to be completed over night is it?  

1 hour ago, wykikitoon said:

tbh I am with ewerk here.

A £350m deal isnt going to be completed over night is it?  

Aye, it’s a £350m deal going through multiple sets of lawyers, as well as three different ways of doing business (the Emirati way, the British way, and the vomiting into a fire place way). On top of all that they’re also going through numerous bureaucratic bodies, namely ones that make a fucking hash of giving, or rescinding, player bans. 

As others have said, this lot have been vocal throughout, another key point is we’ve heard nothing from Ashley’s side which is different from the Staveley and Kenyon attempts. As Isegrim mentioned, the establishment of the HoldCo is another positive sign, I get it’s not a huge expense but I don’t see why you’d go through those steps before you were feeling confident of a deal. 

1 hour ago, Kid Dynamite said:

Some serious cognitive dissonance in here :lol:

I’ve always tried to stay mildly optimistic about it. I know as you’re saying it is just us winding ourselves up, but if it doesn’t happen, Rafa leaves, and we get the inevitable knacker of Ashley’s choosing in it’ll not be worth bothering to watch, which is a real shame. I also think if this one doesn’t go through, when it seems to have got so far, there’s no chance of bitch tits selling up. 

Edited by Howay

10 minutes ago, Howay said:

I’ve always tried to stay mildly optimistic about it. I know as you’re saying it is just us winding ourselves up, but if it doesn’t happen, Rafa leaves, and we get the inevitable knacker of Ashley’s choosing in it’ll not be worth bothering to watch, which is a real shame. I also think if this one doesn’t go through, when it seems to have got so far, there’s no chance of bitch tits selling up. 

I echo the cautious optimism. I think you said earlier that if all of this falls apart, Rafa goes and we're left with some Hughes esque chancer, you'll chuck it in - words to that effect anyway. That's broadly where I am.

I can afford to be optimistic about this because if it does all go tits up, I think it'll finish off the last lingering parts of me that still care. So it's euphoria or apathy for me :D

• Like 2

fuck that. following this club is like a drug habit. i know it isn't doing me any good but i keep coming back for more, pissing my money away on it. 

So Rafa's got exactly 2 weeks of his contract left. I'm beginning to think when he briefly visited the training ground the other week it was probably to collect his stuff.

Edited by trooper

The 59-year-old is now into the final two weeks of his current contract and has, as of yet, opted against signing the extension which has been offered to him.

‘Although Benitez returned to the club’s Benton Training Centre last Monday, he has not given the Magpies hierarchy any indication as to whether he is willing to sign the deal for the terms currently on offer.

‘It is understood that he is still yet to receive the assurances over budget and transfer policy he wants in order to commit himself to the club, while the uncertainty over a potential takeover has also complicated matters further.

‘With Benitez unsure whether the current Newcastle hierarchy will still be in charge within a matter of weeks, he is reluctant to pen a contract before he receives greater clarity on the future direction the club is heading.‘