Rafa Benitez

Anorthernsoul

If he does want to sell and assuming he's only had 30 cans of Skol in the preceding 24 hours then surely he'll realise that he's unlikely to see the club in a better state on and off the pitch as long as he's owner. With that in mind it really is the perfect time to sell and there's still only one interested bidder

Just now, Rayvin said:

:lol: Watch him still be here and totally intransigent to Rafa leaving in a year's time.

I'm at the stage now where I don't even think I'd be that disappointed because of the very real possibility of that too

I think my views on this have become similar to my views on politics:  Rafa long-term or burn it to the ground.

And the only way I see that happening is a takeover.

• Like 1

Definitely won't happen, but could you imagine the fewm on Wearside were Ashley to sell us to some oil-rich Daddy Warbucks who pumps hundreds of millions into the playing staff. We're signing superstars from across Europe and they're signing Geoff from the Dog and Duck.

• Haha 2

I don't think it's extreme as the Hegelian dialectal synthesis a few have came to in some posts over the course of the season: no takeover equating to Rafa leaving. The word compete everyone saw in most of his interviews in the summer, his views on the season and future when away on the training camp in Spain. He wants the necessary funds to compete with your Burnleys, your Leicesters, your Evertons and your Bournemouths of the league. We've been able to do just that from January but with players who aren't ours; the total of money these players would cost is up for debate. But a budget of similar to what McClaren was given, £50m-£80m not including player sales which the club has already received or is about to receive via the windfall of TV money would allow us to compete with those clubs and most likely better them, I think most would agree on that. Although the market has changed post-Neymar, look at his Napoli signings and money spent there, Higuain aside. How far the club can go is just whether Rafa is allowed that amount of money. Caulkin put it beautifully after the Arsenal win as he always does:

It is not correct to say that Benítez will leave this summer if a takeover by Amanda Staveley, the businesswoman, does not proceed. What he recoils from more than anything else is the prospect of unemployment. Benítez is key to what Staveley hopes to put into practice at Newcastle — him staying was enshrined in each of her three previous bids for the club — but the same would apply to other prospective owners, Ashley included. He is an enormous asset.

It is entirely possible that Benítez will end up staying by default, but you would hope that Newcastle would have the wit to recognise what they have at their fingertips. It is not just about offering Benítez a bigger salary or the promise of transfer funds because those promises are no longer enough. They have been worthless. The club is aching for renewal at every level — the training ground, the academy — and that takes money, commitment and ambition.

Newcastle patently know what they have, which is why they are pursuing their most gilded employee with such vigour, but to be a big club, to be what Benítez thinks they can be, they have to truly behave like one. Is their goal to be “pound for pound,” the best they can be, as they once stated — that awful, pen-pusher’s phrase — or is it to win something, to stand for something, to strive and keep striving?

Yes, Sunday was fun. It was fun because in a sense it did not matter, because the pressure was off and politics and tension could be ignored for 90 minutes and a game football enjoyed on its own merits. In another respect, it mattered like hell. It mattered like breathing, like life itself. Newcastle United beat Arsenal at St James’ Park, just like they beat Manchester United, and the ground shook. If they only realised it, this is what Rafa’s Newcastle could be.

No one is expecting it, that "Newcastle [Ashley] would have the wit to recognise what they have at their fingertips". Read the word that Caulkin put just before that. Hope. That is what kills with NUFC.

Edited by Haydnator

Yeah, there's a step missing, but it is that simple.

No takeover => Ashley will fuck up => Rafa will be gone by Summer 2019

The only part of that that's remotely debatable is point 2, which there is a mountain of empirical evidence to support.

On 4/23/2018 at 01:24, Christmas Tree said:

Sadly I don’t think there’s a chance of him staying under the current set up. A chance he might with a new owner or big budget, but there will be plenty of more ambitious clubs sniffing around.

LCFC Fan in peace.

I think that Benitez will stay. I am sure he loves Newcastle, the city, the stadium and most importantly the fans. NUFC have the foundation to build something and be one of the biggest clubs in Europe.

It would be a shame if Rafa went as I think the price of NUFC would go down if Rafa went. Ashley will not sell for anything lower than £350 million. Not sure if Newcastle is worth that at the moment but it does have the potential to be worth more then that. 

We need Ashley to sell up & sod off so Rafa can complete his NUFC project. If he stays then i think this season is as good as it'll get. Sadly that's not enough for Rafa . 

Edited by trooper

Ashley never spent any money apart from the season when McClaren took charge. Ashley only wanted to keep Newcastle in Premiership so that he could keep the revenue on TV deal. He had no ambition to challenge for anything. His only goal was to NOT get relegated.

Rafa has ambition but without Money, his hands are tied. Will he be at Newcastle next season? Chelsea will need a new Manager. My club, Leicester are looking. What about Arsenal? Could he go to anyone of those clubs? All of those clubs offer money to spend. Arsenal and Chelsea are in London which to some offer the big lights, Chelsea is also looking at expanding or buying a new stadium. Arsenal offers long-term commitment. Leicester is in the process of building a new training ground and increasing the stadium capacity. their owners have an ambition which is the same as Rafa's.  I am sorry to say but Ashley offers none of that. He is only after a profit. I think that the only thing keeping Rafa at Newcastle are the fans.

23 minutes ago, LeicesterFox said:

Ashley never spent any money apart from the season when McClaren took charge. Ashley only wanted to keep Newcastle in Premiership so that he could keep the revenue on TV deal. He had no ambition to challenge for anything. His only goal was to NOT get relegated.

Rafa has ambition but without Money, his hands are tied. Will he be at Newcastle next season? Chelsea will need a new Manager. My club, Leicester are looking. What about Arsenal? Could he go to anyone of those clubs? All of those clubs offer money to spend. Arsenal and Chelsea are in London which to some offer the big lights, Chelsea is also looking at expanding or buying a new stadium. Arsenal offers long-term commitment. Leicester is in the process of building a new training ground and increasing the stadium capacity. their owners have an ambition which is the same as Rafa's.  I am sorry to say but Ashley offers none of that. He is only after a profit. I think that the only thing keeping Rafa at Newcastle are the fans.

Ashley didn’t spend money the season McClaren took over, the club spent the money. None of it came from Ashley.

No chance of Rafa going to Chelsea after the treatment he got from the fans last time. Arsenal will be looking a younger manager with an eye on more attractive football. And no disrespect to Leicester but I don’t think you’re a big enough club to tempt Rafa.

Leicester fan in peace about 24 hours after Rafa is linked with that job, right to the Rafa thread on a NUFC forum, and by the 3rd post is bringing up the link :lol: 

Edited by Howay
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

Love to have other fans tell us they know better about our club than us. It's dead endearing

I am sorry if I made the impression that I know Newcastle better then Newcastle Fans. Truth is that I don't. Have been to St James Park only 3 times. 

4 hours ago, Howay said:

Leicester fan in peace about 24 hours after Rafa is linked with that job, right to the Rafa thread on a NUFC forum, and by the 3rd post is bringing up the link :lol: 

Rafa is a great Manager. To be honest he has come in and bought Newcastle back up to the Premiership where they belong. If Newcastle are in turmoil and you have a Manager that has the pedigree of Rafa, he will be linked to other clubs, not just Leicester.