Rafa Benitez

Anorthernsoul

6 minutes ago, zerosum said:

I agree. I’d still like it if he signed a 1 year extension tho :icon_lol:

I understand that but I think he's probably had enough now & will see out his contract.

Was saying this to my mate today but Ashley is probably more likely to give money to someone that isn't Rafa because his thinking is that Rafa is good enough to keep us up with minimal investment whereas someone else (I.E. Steve McClaren) needs a load of money to counteract the fact he isn't as tactically sound. It's complete lunacy but it makes sense that Ashley would see it that way.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

As tight as Ashley is it’s absolutely insane if he’s going to let Benitez walk if it’s for the sake of spending on two players. I know for him these will be seen as vast sums but as McClaren showed whatever shit manager he brings in will need heavy investment to try and stay up, and even then we’d be risking the drop. 

He’s onto an absolute winner with Benitez, I know it’s no use to us but if his only goal is clinging to PL survival then Benitez almost guarantees that with even just a small budget. Just actually give the bloke a budget. I know he’s always been a tight cunt but he’s actually getting tighter in a time club’s have far more money coming in, I just hope his hovering up of bankrupt companies bites him in the arse and he’s forced to sell NUFC. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, essembeeofsunderland said:

If Wise is advising Fat Man, sure the midget cockney shithouse can appreciate what Rafa could  do if he was allowed to bring in a few quality players. 

I’m sure Wisey will have an old mate who can do a much better job than that Spanish cahnt

14 hours ago, Rayvin said:

Why is Rafa always “reaching breaking point” in these articles? Pretty sure he got past that point quite some time ago....

13 hours ago, essembeeofsunderland said:

If Wise is advising Fat Man, sure the midget cockney shithouse can appreciate what Rafa could  do if he was allowed to bring in a few quality players. 

Wise tweeted he wasn't 

On 06/01/2019 at 16:22, trooper said:

We now have 5 games in 21 days 

Chelsea (a)                    12th Jan

Blackburn (a) FA CUP  15th Jan

Cardiff (h)                       19th Jan

Man City (h)                    29th Jan (BT)

Spurs (a)                           2nd Feb (Sky)

Six now we’ve got Watford on Saturday 

Looks like a couple of loans Rafa again getting what he needs not what he wants

Rafa Benitez keen to get a double deal done in time for the weekend.

Sources in Spain this morning also confirmed an approach for Atletico Madrid's Gelson Martins after Benitez had moves for both players sanctioned by Mike Ashley following a short meeting at the weekend.

Both deals are loan offers until the end of the season with scope for permanent moves afterwards, but for Benitez the main concern is bringing in the required cover for his squad.

Like Gelson, Barreca has struggled to get game-time this season with just seven starts to his name in Ligue 1 this season for relegation haunted Monaco.

Monaco boss Thierry Henry has sanctioned the player's exit on loan and it is now down to United to strike a deal for a loan fee and the player's personal terms.

Edited by trooper

24 minutes ago, ewerk said:

Aye, if you're not good enough for Athletico Madrid you're not good enough for us.

It's not really that though is it mate it's the fact that these will have been Rafa's 4th or 5th choices on his list. Also I doubt they'll be match fit so won't play straight away.

39 minutes ago, ewerk said:

Aye, if you're not good enough for Athletico Madrid you're not good enough for us.

I’d take their unfancied reserve youth striker over Joselu 

I think the general opinion is that he isn't worth the £30m they're looking for him and no one else seems prepared to spend that sort of money on him so he may go for less towards the end of the window.

41 minutes ago, trooper said:

It's not really that though is it mate it's the fact that these will have been Rafa's 4th or 5th choices on his list. Also I doubt they'll be match fit so won't play straight away.

Gelson Martinez will be fit, Simeone makes sure of that. 

In Martinez’s case I thought he was being blooded into the Athletico set up, I’d be surprised if they loaned him out. I also can’t see how we would have a permanent deal in place as that article hints for him, Sporting are demanding Athletico pay them €100m (which they obviously won’t get) and his case is with some court of abitration so I can’t see any way we could get any deal set up if Athletico don’t even know how much he’s going to cost them. 

Gelson Martins is a good little player, not sure about his robustness for a PL season but 6 months working under Simeone won't have done him any harm in that regard.

He hasn't started or played much for them, but considering who does and that Simeone isn't a rotator thats not much of an indictment on his ability imo.

For anyone wondering, he is a right footed right winger, he runs fast, he dribbles and he crosses. Rondon should like him!