Rafa Benitez

Anorthernsoul

Consensus seems to be that he's a good manager but it won't work out. Which is probably true tbf. :lol:

:lol: Aye if you were going to try and guarantee fucking up a managerial appointment having Lee Charnley as their boss would probably be a good place to start.

Just had a quick look and they have about 8 threads about him, some very odd views. "Never rated the fat Spanish waiter" tends to be a common one, a lot reckon he got carried through success at Liverpool by the players but tbh a quick look at their CL winning squad debunks that theory. The question of whether he is still the same level he was at a few years ago is a decent one but saying I never rated him is just being daft tbh.

Edited by Howay

Consensus seems to be that he's a good manager but it won't work out. Which is probably true tbf. :lol:

Aye, got to still be >50% to go down for a start.

Whoever said he could be a legend , the similarities between him arriving and Keegan arriving are there. If he saves us on the last day of the season I'm flying back to Newcastle for the piss up. Hopefully Bigg Market will have the red phone boxes back ready for the boirds to get their jebs out again.

This is an unbelievable appointment, completely against the grain of previous hires. I'd only have been more surprised if we'd got someone like guardiola or mourinho.

I'm almost as equally speechless that he's signed up to work for Ashley. I can't imagine he'd have joined if the club didn't agree to much greater control than what they gave previous managers.

Something to be optimistic about, at last? Has the penny finally dropped? I remain sceptical, as always, but hard not to be encouraged by this.

Hopefully if we stay up we'll get to build an actual team rather than build up a portfolio of random players to be sold for profit with no regard to team needs. Wouldn't be surprised to see Rafa taking the Keegan route of a consructive dismissal at some point next year, though. :lol:

One teeny negative to throw in the mix: his teams are quite defensive and his tactics can be quite cautious so don't expect expansive free flowing game with him in charge. You can't argue with his pedigree though. Different calibre of coach to the type we've had to endure for the past decade

Great appointment. I just hope its not too late for this season. He'll definitely have an immediate impact on player attitudes I would have thought, which is clearly sorely needed, but we're still going to need a canny slice of luck to stay up I think.

If we do stay up I'll be much more enthusiastic about next season. The most highly qualified coach/manager we've ever had except Robson. However it's going to take a good few transfer windows before I am convinced the club heirarchy have finally learned their lessons. HMHM I share your sceptisism - wouldn't be at all surprised if in the summer he finds out it'd not like it was in the brochure. Anyway for now we can enjoy what is a real coup, and hope he can just get us safe this season.

One teeny negative to throw in the mix: his teams are quite defensive and his tactics can be quite cautious so don't expect expansive free flowing game with him in charge. You can't argue with his pedigree though. Different calibre of coach to the type we've had to endure for the past decade

That's exactly what we need though,someone to make us hard to beat

Absolutely fantastic. I'm going to disregard all misgivings and just get behind him until the season end. This should get the fans on side, the team motivated, and the game plan in place. I guess even a stopped clock like charnley is right occasionally.

Alternatively, one teeny positive- he has tactics.